Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #1

Questioning COVID rules

My wife and I are retired 70 year olds.
We love our RV and wish to do what we've worked for.

1. How does a person PROVE that they've self quaranteed at home or in an RV?

2. If we are spending less than 14 hours in states that we pass through and meet #1, above, what else is needed?

3. Any state that we do stay in, for 2-3 nights, should be covered by 1 or 2 above.

4. If we get a negative Covid test within 72 hours of home departure, have we not covered all bases?

5. Even at our destination, we are only staying 3 nights and plan on wearing mask and social distancing when not in RV.

Anything else we should to MINIMIZE our risk of fines??
Old 09-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #2

Rules differ by region/state/city...research and find out what is required.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

I think you will find the rules at campgrounds that you stay at will rule your reactions to those rules...
Find out from the camp managers before you stay what is going to be required from you.

I think if you stay mid-south, east of the rockies, there will be no issues whatsoever.

Mostly outside of larger cities covid is hardly an issue.

Wash you hands or use sanitizer when you handle fuel pumps and I believe you will be just fine.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
Old 09-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #4
D W

You've got 50 States with at least 25 different requirements. You almost have to be a lawyer to figure each and every one of them out. None of the requirements are "law", just edicts and proclamations. Here in Alaska we had the virus about licked with anyone coming into the state having to quarantine for 14 days. It was working well. Then all of a sudden the outsiders who work in the fishing industry who were supposed to quarantine prior to entering Alaska, but evidence shows a lot of that was fudged and in came the virus. One instance was an entire fishing boat with a crew of 83 that all tested positive. Now, we are worse off than we were in April & May.

Sorry, but I don't think anyone has a correct answer.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 09-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #5

X2 what Kcoulter said.

Reality is nobody cares until you get caught or somebody (a do-gooder) rats you out.

Reality is that a false positive Covid test will bring you lots of unwanted attention. And there are false positive tests out there. Or, somebody giving your name to a contact tracer will also bring you lots of unwanted attention.

Don't ask me how I know this. I apologize to the mods for my negative attitude - on second thought I don't.

Wasted time in quarantine for being reported for having a conversation with an individual 7.5ft away (I measured the distance) at work. We were in 30x40ft room, not wearing masks. Individual came down with Covid a week later. Didn't have 2 weeks of groceries stocked up at home. With deliveries being 4 days out, went to grocery store for some food (wearing mask). Spotted and reported by do-gooder, authorities were not friendly. Reported my bad behavior to my employer.

Never got sick or felt sick. Had to delay my flu shot.

Only good thing that happened was Colorado passed law in July mandating large employers provide up to 80 hours sick leave for quarantine. So I got sick leave instead of burning PTO. Still have my work piled up for the days I missed.

Fred W
Old 09-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host

I googled "COVID 19 travel rules by state" and found this:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...-19/index.html

There are also links for updates in each state that has restrictions (quarantines).
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
Old 09-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

Mostly outside of larger cities covid is hardly an issue.
You would think that to be the case but not necessarily so. Here in our State some of the worst infection rate and actual counts have been occurring around smaller cities and towns. Mostly those with migrant farm workers or meat packing plants.

Interesting report on the national news the other night. According to the report life in the Chinese city where the pandemic began is returning to normal. People back out on the street and back to work. This is attributed to the draconian measures imposed by the Chinese government forcing isolation, masks, massive disinfection of public and workplaces, etc.

They also pointed out that such measures would be impossible to impose in any society such as ours. The implication of course was that we are not going to see an end to this pandemic until a vaccine is finally available and widely deployed.

Good luck on that last part as news reports are already saying that only half the population MIGHT get vaccinated.

Interesting times ahead.

Me? I'm sticking with boondocking and continuing my "Social Distancing".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 09-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #8

I can only talk about travel in and through AZ, NM, and TX, as we have had to travel between these states during Covid.
While most states say there is a 14 day quarantine, in reality there is no tracking when go from state to state, and no method of enforcement. So you won't have to prove anything.
Good thing about RVing is you can distance yourself as much as you feel you need to.
We have seen RVers from many different states in all the RV parks we have been in. Parks may have different rules, but most welcome everybody from anywhere as long as they have spots available.
Just have your mask, read all the signs on entry doors, and call ahead for specifics. We carry hand sanitizer in the truck and extra masks. What else can you do, other than stay home indefinitely?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 09-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #9

We just got back from a 17 day trip through the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Montana...

We just made sure we stayed far away from people. Fortunately, most of the gas stations employees wore masks even if there were a few covid deniers roaming around inside without. We just kept our distance which is very easy while camping.

We have masks and hand sanitizer in the car. Whenever we get back into the car form being at a place like a gas station, we wash our hands with the sanitizer. The main problem is airborne so probably the riskiest areas are bathrooms. We tend to use our own bathroom as much as possible now.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
X2 what Kcoulter said.

Reality is nobody cares until you get caught or somebody (a do-gooder) rats you out.

Reality is that a false positive Covid test will bring you lots of unwanted attention. And there are false positive tests out there. Or, somebody giving your name to a contact tracer will also bring you lots of unwanted attention.

Don't ask me how I know this. I apologize to the mods for my negative attitude - on second thought I don't.

Wasted time in quarantine for being reported for having a conversation with an individual 7.5ft away (I measured the distance) at work. We were in 30x40ft room, not wearing masks. Individual came down with Covid a week later. Didn't have 2 weeks of groceries stocked up at home. With deliveries being 4 days out, went to grocery store for some food (wearing mask). Spotted and reported by do-gooder, authorities were not friendly. Reported my bad behavior to my employer.

Never got sick or felt sick. Had to delay my flu shot.

Only good thing that happened was Colorado passed law in July mandating large employers provide up to 80 hours sick leave for quarantine. So I got sick leave instead of burning PTO. Still have my work piled up for the days I missed.

Fred W

Sorry but I do not feel sorry for you. It's well known that many people with COVID show no symptoms at all and can still spread it to others. I would have reported you as well.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 09-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #11

X2

And how crazy that an employer isn't requiring masks indoors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Sorry but I do not feel sorry for you. It's well known that many people with COVID show no symptoms at all and can still spread it to others. I would have reported you as well.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:44 PM   #12

Me and wife's office opening rules are mask is not required at our desks, but everywhere else it is required. I think you will find this rule pretty standard as offices reopen.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 09-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Me and wife's office opening rules are mask is not required at our desks, but everywhere else it is required. I think you will find this rule pretty standard as offices reopen.
That is the norm in our office. All who can are still working from home to provide distancing for those who have to work in the office. If there was not sufficient distancing for those in the office, shifts were imposed (I worked 4x10s, Fri-Mon, March-June). Temp checks are conducted upon arrival every day since May. You have to sanitize desk, cabinets, phones, keyboards, mice at the start of each day. Hallways, aisles, and other common facilities are not spacious enough so masks are required away from the desk.

My point to the OP was not about drawing sympathy. I was pointing out through personal experience that despite the best of intentions and practices, exposure can happen when you least expect it. And when you get exposed - whether something you did or not - the authorities (and some on this forum) assume you are the guilty one, and seek to make your life miserable.

Given the reluctance to get vaccinated and the associated politics, I expect 12 month or more delays in achieving herd immunity through vaccination. Which means in the meantime a lot more people are going to get exposed, and a lot more disruptive quarantines and denouncing from those who are using Covid as an excuse to control others.

Fred W
Old 09-30-2020, 07:06 AM   #14

I wore a mask...I got it. Son is a First Responder....Required to mask at all times...he got it. That's all I have to say.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #15

Latest CDC guideline: Post at my workplace this morning. Two people wearing masks in close contact for extended period and one tests positive, the other DOES NOT need to be tested and no 14 day quarantine.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #16
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Latest CDC guideline: Post at my workplace this morning. Two people wearing masks in close contact for extended period and one tests positive, the other DOES NOT need to be tested and no 14 day quarantine.
The rules from the CDC change so often, sometimes getting more and sometimes getting less restrictive, that folks just gravitate to the most restrictive.

The CDC doesn’t know. They are just making their best “educated” guesses.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #17

Masks do not protect you from getting it, they protect others from you transmitting it. You and your son were probably around someone with COVID that did not wear a mask. I'm glad you are both now OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I wore a mask...I got it. Son is a First Responder....Required to mask at all times...he got it. That's all I have to say.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
Old 09-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #18

All I can say to the OP even the regulators within the states will vary on what the rules are and how to enforce them. Some law enforcement will some won't.

In Virginia masks are required but often worn improperly when worn. Not seen too often in the work place but some........ Virginia has its own COVID 19 regulation for businesses but with only a few VOSH (OSHA) inspectors to enforce and hundreds of complaints it is slow going.

Our rural areas are now the Hot Spots as the big cites are slowly recovering. This county is at a 14.5% rate when the state is overall under 5%.

Bottom line is protect yourself.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 09-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #19
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
Masks do not protect you from getting it, they protect others from you transmitting it. You and your son were probably around someone with COVID that did not wear a mask. I'm glad you are both now OK.

EXACTLY!!!

Wearing a mask isn't about you, it's about those around you.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 09-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
Contact tracing....no idea where it came from. Health services spent 3 weeks calling.
I no longer wear a mask, except areas at work where they require one, or a store that mandates it.
Closed Thread