Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #1

Road Trip during COVID-19

We are planning a 14 day western road trip thru Arizona and Colorado in August and are wondering what adjustments we should make in the era of COVID-19. Part of our trip is through Navajo land which has been impacted badly by the virus. We plan to use only our trailer bathroom at pit stops, gloves at gas stations. We usually do a couple nights at a hotel but might forego that idea this year. What are everyone's thoughts as to road trips, anything else we should keep in mind?

2019 Viking TT
Not Retired
California
TJLogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #2

I am going south mostly because I have to.

Watch out for protests blocking the freeways as well and route around them as best you can. Local DOT can warn of closures so you are not stuck sitting for a while. I think most are no longer in freeways.

I also have a tropical storm to keep an eye on. Someone really is trying to tell me not to go but we are out of options and time to do it.

Our plans include camp reservations everywhere with no contact check-in typically outside of town.

We have enough groceries to get where we are going and back with meals on the road. The issue is if restaurants are not open you cannot get the TT through a drive through. Most restaurants will not let you walk through the drive through lane. We called a freddies and they were willing to let us drive outside the drive through lane and run it out...what a mess that was. It would have been easier if they just ran it out. Curbside pickup places are much better off but good luck finding them open. May be easier now that things have started to open up.

If I end up stuck somewhere I have a generator worst case.

I have an EFS card and pay at the truck diesel pumps directly. I use glove there already.

We use the TT for bathroom and water.

We have wipes gloves masks and sanitizer in both cars (delivering one there).

I am open to ideas as well.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:08 PM   #3

My DW made a trip to Pensacola area of Florida this past week. The place we stayed did not do contactless checkin so I was wearing my mask, took my own pen in with me, had hand wipes and sanitizer. Some people just don’t care about others so you can only take care of yourself.

Curbside is the way to go if you find it. We typically start our day off McD’s for coffee and an egg sandwich. I find a parking lot and use the McD’s app and order curbside. Then walk to McD’s parking lot and just pick a curbside lane number and press I’m here. They carry it out to find me. They don’t say oh, you need to be in a vehicle plus they don’t peer out the window to see if you are there.

We pack our lunches. Our Pensacola trip was 500 miles or 10 hours. We average 50mph with fuel stops and stretch you legs stop plus the morning McD’s stop. I plan a stop every 2-3 hours. Use the RV bathroom. One stop being an EFS fuel stop. Never have to interface with a person. Use Clorox wipes at pump and hand sanitizer.

Another nice curbside is Panera Bread. They are usually located close to a large shopping complex And big lot so easy to get in and out. Order curbside, go stand at curbside and press I am here on app...

Also,Firehouse Subs...great sandwiches and they do curbside.

Go and enjoy..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #4

Just got home yesterday from Colorado. Pretty much business as usual with several people wearing a mask here or there. The only thing disappointing we found was Red Rock Amphitheater was closed for visitors by the Park Service and the most shocking was all the Pot Smoking going on.
Wannabe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe123 View Post
Just got home yesterday from Colorado. Pretty much business as usual with several people wearing a mask here or there. The only thing disappointing we found was Red Rock Amphitheater was closed for visitors by the Park Service and the most shocking was all the Pot Smoking going on.
Passing a joint..hmmmm. Maybe marijuana kills germs...remember when we used to eat birthday cake after someone blew on it?.. sad times.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

I'm in the White Mountains of Arizona. Most things are open and operating as usual. Hours may vary and some require masks...many don't. Restaurants are mostly open, plus drive thru or curb side, call to be sure (or check their websites, some have updates). If possible I'd stay away from Phoenix as things go on down there without notice. The Navajo Nation is doing better. Your safety plans sound good, have a great trip.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #7

We are visiting Myrtle Beach this week ................ virus what virus ?

Interesting I would swear it is a normal summer day........

Restaurants are at a limited capacity as are a few stores other than that..................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #8

This is our first real season with our TT. We're going to an unofficial FROG event in mid July about four hours south in our state and a visit to East Tennessee after Labor Day to see family. We'll probably do some weekend jaunts to campgrounds or parks on occasion, but we're still figuring out this whole 'tiny house on wheels' thing.

We will NOT be staying in any hotels or even overnight with family, although we are invited. that's not only a Covid-19 concern; we believe what Benjamin Franklin (and my father for that matter) said: "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days..." :-)
Old 06-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #9

I have been on the road since the first of May when I left FL, now in Idaho. With the exception of staying in Natl Parks, which for the most part are still closed and state parks which are also just starting to open up we haven't had any problems. We are sticking to roads less traveled tostay away from large population centers. The private RV parks in small towns are thrilled to have your business. We have had several sitdown meals in restaurants . We only wear masks if we have to go shopping in a major market like Walmart. I am greatful that all ofAmerica isn't buying into the media hype
hwfahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:53 AM   #10

We also have been on the road since May 18th and am in the works of routing our next trip, we try our best to distance from others in the campgrounds, can still chat with folks safely from a distance, wear masks when the need to go to a store. With careful planning and checking to make sure the campgrounds we want to stay at are open everything should be fine.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #11

By all means hit the road and join the hundreds thousands of other Rv'ers enjoying the great outdoors away from crowds and seeing all the great places . National parks are for the most part open as is most BLM and depending on states state lands . plenty of private campgrounds to enjoy . Yellowstone has been the best since it opened 0n 6/1 . campgrounds are fill fast with many booked solid come the middle of June .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #12

Yes. Get out if you are comfortable with it. There are ways to camp safely.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #13

We have been on a RV trip every month since March. No issues at all. Getting ready to go to Indiana next week, Wisc the week after then Iowa. What virus?
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #14

Road trip to Northwest USA

Apologies if this was asked and answered already. We are planning a RV trip from Texas through Colorado, Wyoming, S Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, California and back.

Anyone know of any travel restrictions, state border checkpoints or quarantines required when passing through and stopping in any of these states. Biggest concern is getting stuck in one place for a mandatory 14 day quarantine just because we came from somewhere of "concern".

Also concerned with fast food on the routes. Are fast food places open now or still drive through only (which doesn't work well for RV as pointed out in another thread).
Anhkhong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #15
KSH

No concerns, we were out for 3 months. Headed back out this week. Did almost 8000 miles the first time.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #16

At this time I heard some states are asking for self quarantine if coming from a hotspot. In middle of two week trip. Other than mask in some places. Almost seems normal.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:08 PM   #17

Oops spent time in Colorado Woodland was more relaxed than Estes Park. I think ding rooms open. We ate I. Restaurant for Father’s Day. We usually eat out on trips but trading puppy to be travel dog so we aren’t leaving her alone unless need be