Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #1

Self-Contained RVs Only ?

I just saw where a MN campsite is allowing only "Self-Contained RVs".

I am not sure what that means/Differs vs. a permanently parked TT or 5th wheel?

That campground will have bathrooms locked (makes sense). Also, wondering if there will be campground water on and sources ?

Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
Site Team

In most cases, the "self contained" requirement is primarily for bathroom facilities and well as dish washing or showers. The requirement is based on the fact that the restrooms are closed. Usually water and sewer usable if present.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 04-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
Member: Old Man Club

You may also need your own power source if their shore power is shut off. Probably not a good idea to travel without one, at least not right now.

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
Old 04-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
In most cases, the "self contained" requirement is primarily for bathroom facilities and well as dish washing or showers. The requirement is based on the fact that the restrooms are closed. Usually water and sewer usable if present.
That makes some sense. From what I can determine, and I have searched my conscience vs my self-interests, it would be not only good for the campers to go, but completely safe for them and safe for any of the other campers. That of course assumes that each and every warning and precaution is taken to the LIMIT!

In WI, campgrounds are treated as Essential - the same as Hotels/Motels.

It (simply, but not really that simply) appears to be up to individual campground owners to make their own decisions.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavaiani View Post
I think you need to call them and ask.

Do they have water, electric and sewer connections available?

Usually if they have those connections and your rig will operate as a self contained unit, that is considered 'self contained.' However, that might not be what they mean.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #6

Self contained means you have a full bath and kitchen and do not require the camp ground facility's. No tents or pop ups or conversion vans.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I think you need to call them and ask.

Do they have water, electric and sewer connections available?

Usually if they have those connections and your rig will operate as a self contained unit, that is considered 'self contained.' However, that might not be what they mean.
Technically "Self Contained" is just what it says. You have everything you need within your RV from power, water, and ability to store your own waste water.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 04-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Technically "Self Contained" is just what it says. You have everything you need within your RV from power, water, and ability to store your own waste water.
We have a permanent placed TT in a WI campground, so it might be a bit of a stretch to reach that "self contained" definition ...
Old 04-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
X2
Especially that last line... "ability to store your own waste water."

And power doesn't necessarily mean AC power. (generator)
If you have a battery(ies) it/they contribute to being self contained as the appliances/lights run off 12v. Carrying propane is also a contributor to being self contained as the LP appliances use that.

While many pop-ups have some of those things, most do not have holding tanks.
They are therefore not self contained.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
Old 04-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. We go to a CG in the NC mountains every October that requires all units to be "self-contained". All utilities are provided, restrooms and showers are not!
Old 04-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #11

Would be a non issue for me. I’ve never been in a campground toilet or shower facility. Never.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #12

Why

Not even sure why this conversation is going on. The country is in the midsts of a pandemic that has the potential to kill tens of thousands before it’s under control. A pandemic that’s is spread by social interaction. The reason many states have stay at home orders it to slow down the spread. I would love to be camping right now. But the lives of my family,friends and neighbors is more important than spending a week camping unless you have to travel for work stay home
Old 04-04-2020, 08:17 AM   #13
llr

People still need something to do. I see nothing wrong with getting out and doing things as long as you are careful.

I don't recall being in a campground where it would be difficult to maintain distance.

Of course the state parks that we typically use are all closed so we probably won't camp for awhile.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
Old 04-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #14

camp grounds

Quote:

That campground will have bathrooms locked (makes sense). Also, wondering if there will be campground water on and sources ?

Any thoughts?
Read a week or so ago, KOA camp grounds are open, no bathrooms, showers or laundry's or tents, they do provide electric, water and dump. I would call ahead just to make sure. read in several states, all campgrounds are closed.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
People still need something to do. I see nothing wrong with getting out and doing things as long as you are careful.

I don't recall being in a campground where it would be difficult to maintain distance.

Of course the state parks that we typically use are all closed so we probably won't camp for awhile.
Ohio has a Stay At Home Order. To me that means stay at home and find something to do, but that’s just me
Old 04-04-2020, 09:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulltrr View Post
Not even sure why this conversation is going on. The country is in the midsts of a pandemic that has the potential to kill tens of thousands before it’s under control. A pandemic that’s is spread by social interaction. The reason many states have stay at home orders it to slow down the spread. I would love to be camping right now. But the lives of my family,friends and neighbors is more important than spending a week camping unless you have to travel for work stay home
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaNTom View Post
Ohio has a Stay At Home Order. To me that means stay at home and find something to do, but that’s just me
X2. But people will always try to rationalize why what THEY want to do is OK.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 04-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #17

We usually go to a local COE campground opening day every spring as far as I know that time has been pushed back till who knows when. Here in Illinois we have been told to stay at home but most factories have found reasons to be “essential” including mine, so I go to work everyday with thousands of people, I’d be much safer taking my usual camping trip!!!
Old 04-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #18

Smile

To those nay-sayers for camping during this crisis, many of FROG members live in their RV's full time! They can't live in Walmart Parking lots for days on end. Social distancing in an RV and campground is just as easy as in a home. I have both. If one of us gets sick, one of us stays in the RV (easier to disinfect). Be safe and be kind, please.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #19

Quote:

Any thoughts?
I would phone first. We just got back home from down south. The RV sites we stayed at all had their washrooms and outbuildings closed and we were asked not to interact with other campers. All the hookups were there and I did use disposable gloves to hookup.

If this is what they mean by self contained? I don't know

At all the places we stayed the owner/ attendant greeted us in front of office and told us where to park while we stayed in vehicle. we were told to phone office when hooked up to arrange payment. Some of them came around later and from a distance asked us if everything was OK.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #20
Just as confused as you

The campground we are seasonals at has the self-contained requirements when they open. They said electric and water will be available but bathroom, laundry, shower and outhouses will be closed. I know a few campers who will not do #2 in their campers bathroom. I imagine they will have to change their thinking on that matter.

Does it count as social distancing if hubby & wife sleep in separate bedrooms? I know of 2 couples that have those sleeping arrangements. One couple says the other snores too much, the other couple says they never get any sleep while in the same bed.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Closed Thread