Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
rbq

Sheltering at home because of Covid & Now the earth shakes

It just keeps adding up here. Everything closed. Only take out food available. Now this morning was woke up just after 7 with a 5.7 earthquake in Salt Lake. Salt Lake airport closed. Some buildings damaged. No known deaths.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #2

Sorry you're feeling like it's piling on. Breath deep. As my grandma used to say when things seemed like a struggle, "This too shall pass".

We still have food. We still have family and friends. Call one or chat online. No restaurants and bars open is an opportunity to work on our cooking skills and try a new recipe. Airports are not the place to be right now anyway so big deal if they are closed. Not the end of the world, just a period of reminding us all that no matter our technological advancements over the past 70-80 years, we are still subject to the biology of the planet.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #3

Like the song by BTO. "You ain't seen nothin yet"
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #4

Thank heavens no one was killed in the earthquake. People being without power in uncertain times is not good. Been through that in a hurricane and now have a couple of battery operated radios so that we can get the news.

You should be congratulated for sheltering at home. It's not an easy thing to do. Stay strong and consider dropping by the forums to get the latest camping news.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #5

As RV'ers we all have an advantage over those who don't. Even if your RV isn't stored at home like mine is, it should be available for use within a short amount of time.

A good "plan B" would be to have plenty of non-perishable food items, even staples like flour, sugar, rice, even powdered milk, available so should it be necessary, one could merely move into their "survival capsule".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:55 AM   #6
Member: Old Man Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
As RV'ers we all have an advantage over those who don't. Even if your RV isn't stored at home like mine is, it should be available for use within a short amount of time.

A good "plan B" would be to have plenty of non-perishable food items, even staples like flour, sugar, rice, even powdered milk, available so should it be necessary, one could merely move into their "survival capsule".
And if you have all this stuff, you can make your own bread instead of raiding the grocery stores for it. This is a perfect opportunity for parents to teach their kids how to be self-sufficient and useful. I know kids who have no clue what to do with a potato peeler. Sadly, a lot of parents don't either. Hardship teaches values you can't get by playing video games and waiting for mom & dad to "bring home the bacon". I think a lot of kids might be finding that out soon.

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
rbq

We're fairly well stocked at home. Yesterday we were running low on store bought bread, but I would rather have my home made whole wheat bread, so I made a batch. Nothing better than butter & honey on a hot slice of out of the oven bread with a glass of cold milk. We had my son & his family with us for the day as they had no power at their condo. They were pretty shook up about the earthquake & thy live in the bottom floor of multifloor condo. They were about the leave to go home after 1:00 PM when we had a large after shock hit. They ended up staying for a while longer and had dinner with us. They enjoyed the hot bread too.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #8

You have the right idea. When one is not used to earthquakes it is very sobering. I've never considered UT as earthquake territory. I was born in LA 80 years ago and have been through many major shakes. No serious damage. But one always thinks about things that can fall over, what to do if water is cut off, natural gas, etc. Keep a backup plan in the back of your mind. Don't forget that the water in a water heater is a resource. We have 100 gal sitting there. It's good for the kids to experience this.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDodger View Post
And if you have all this stuff, you can make your own bread instead of raiding the grocery stores for it. This is a perfect opportunity for parents to teach their kids how to be self-sufficient and useful. I know kids who have no clue what to do with a potato peeler. Sadly, a lot of parents don't either. Hardship teaches values you can't get by playing video games and waiting for mom & dad to "bring home the bacon". I think a lot of kids might be finding that out soon.

Just baked a loaf of bread yesterday. Yeast is in short supply but sourdough starter works if you plan ahead a little.

No yeast or sourdough starter? Pretend you're Jewish and make Matzoh.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #10

Breads not good for you unless it's made with whole grains.
Enriched white flour adds to weight gain and is not good for those with high blood sugar.
Too many carbs.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #11

Sheltering at home because of Covid & Now the earth shakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Enriched white flour adds to weight gain and is not good for those with high blood sugar.
Too many carbs.

Excuse me Dr. Oz
For some of us, starvation takes first place over diet.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Too many carbs.
So right. Took out all flour made items from my diet 4 years ago and 90% of the arthritis symptoms are gone. My brother is an endocrinologist and my nephew is bariatric Doctor.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
It just keeps adding up here. Everything closed. Only take out food available. Now this morning was woke up just after 7 with a 5.7 earthquake in Salt Lake. Salt Lake airport closed. Some buildings damaged. No known deaths.
be safe
garyp1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #14

I built what wanted where I liked to be, so I am content here. Got at least 2 month’s of food by then the hoarders will have their credit card bills.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #15

������������
BAJAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #16

I commend those of you for self-quarantining. I've been home since last Friday. 53 with early COPD. Also have 2 months of food supplies. The biggest problem is people who think it won't happen to them. Springbreak here in SW Florida and the beaches were packed. Local municipalities closed them today.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #17
code.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
5.7 earthquake in Salt Lake
Was thinking of those living in the Salt Lake area yesterday and immediately offered up prayers for safety. There is nothing worse than being awakened by an earthquake. I have lived through two huge ones in SoCal and numerous shocks of 5+ so I understand the shock and nervous feelings afterwards.

Hang in there. It will get better. There will be good coming from all of these trials we are experiencing. Personally, we have become better prepared for all kinds of disasters and made deep lasting friendships with neighbors we barely knew before.

On a national level I am seeing cooperation, creativity, and innovation as well as people reaching out to help others.

Hopefully all will learn and remember these lessons we are being taught.

Too optimistic? Perhaps, but I remain hopeful.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #18

“When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” Maybe this experience will strengthen up our younger generations.....

I think those of us with rvs are very fortunate. In case of an earthquake or other catastrophes, we have emergency shelters. I always try to keep mine supplied just in case. (I’ve lived through many earthquakes over the years)
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #19

Happy you are safe. There should not be as many hoarders are there. Most are prepared for a year with supplies already. It will make a very large difference when most are ready for an emergency.

Good luck!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Too many carbs.
I guess I didn't get the e-mail.

I've been eating bread all my life and I'm approaching 80 years. No Diabetes, have a nice healthy weight that doesn't test the limits of the ladder on the back of my trailer, and my only real "ailment" (Coronary Artery Disease) was a "gift" from my dad who died when I was 19 at age 58.

Thing about bread, like everything else it has to be consumed in moderation.

I eat whole grain cereals, make bread from all kinds of flour, including whole grain flours. I enjoy it but I don't sit down and eat half a loaf in a single sitting. I also don't slather it with half a tub of butter.

I also practice the same "moderation" with meats, sweets, and all the other things people try to convince me are un-healthy.