RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #21

Our take is:
  • we have been on self-imposed semi-quarantine for 2 weeks now. DW just completed 2.5 years of chemo in Feb, and is turning 65 this week.
  • my job has been ruled mission essential, so no worries there (except catching CV at work, no known cases to date). I am on 4/10s, Thur - Sun, to increase physical spacing at work.
  • both of us need to get out of the house, without endangering DW.
  • Colorado is not on lockdown, just many things are closed. Denver mayor realizes that unless the whole state locks down, or at least the Front Range, that locking down Denver is an exercise in futility. The county with Telluride is on lockdown - the ski resorts are now closed, but have been the main avenue for CV entrance into Colorado.
So we are leaving tomorrow morning to enjoy camping at Trinidad Lake SP for my 3 day "weekend". The sites are reasonably spaced, and we generally keep to ourselves anyway.

our choices, you may choose differently
Fred W
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 03-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #22
waybeck2018

This may not be the correct venue but pertinent to the Corona Virus Subject.

Spring has always been a popular time to visit Helen, GA. I just received a newsletter from Creekwood Resort just outside Helen, GA. Here is an excerpt from the newsletter.
We have stayed at Creekwood many times and it is a great place with wonderful hosts.

Lets talk about camping, well here at Creekwood we are keeping our RV park OPEN to self contained Travel Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motor-homes, in our 10 full hook up sites. We are checking you in at your site outside and keeping our distance. We are making temporary changes to services like: closing the Bathhouse,Gym and the Laundry room (small exceptions in the Laundry room). We are stopping all cabin rentals until farther notice.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
Old 03-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #23

I think the biggest issue is if you are in a somewhat remote area and there happens to be an uptick in the number of people that all of a sudden need hospitalization, can the area you are in handle the number of people that need to be on respirators and ventilators. If you are older and or have health conditions, you may be out of luck when that local health care gets over taxed.

I am actually currently in my second home during this time and I am actually thinking it may not be a good idea even being here for the same reasons I just mentioned. We were already up at our house when the shelter in place order came down for CA. If it had already been ordered, we would have likely stayed put.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #24
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
We are camping now at Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware not far from where you are talking about. The campground about 3/4 th. full. People are keeping their distance and enjoyed the 85 degree weather yesterday. I say go for it.
Mike
A couple hours ago the LT Governor of Delaware was on television. She raised deep concerns about people in Delaware "pushing the envelope" with regards to activity, especially at recreational areas. She warned that the Governor is poised to invoke more restrictive measures to end these activities. She recognized that not all are ignoring the guidelines, but a significant number are, and that it is detrimental to the States's course of actions to combat the spread of Covid-19.

I interpret this to mean they will take necessary action(s) to enjoin full compliance. So, those that don't comply will ruin it for everyone.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 03-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #25

Americans worship Freedom. I know I do. But this situation is sort of like the old "Yelling fire in a crowded theater" is not exercising your First Amendment Free Rights. It goes beyond your right, because it endangers OTHERS' rights.

That's what this is. "We're going to travel, and you all can do what YOU think best" is going to cause someone, somewhere, to get sick. May not be you, but someone who gets out and travels anyway, regardless, is indeed going to cause sickness.

I ain't moving. Course I'm rife with those "underlying conditions", so I get a bit scared. But y'all do what you want, selfish or not.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 03-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #26

As I mentioned before, we cancelled our trip and are staying put. We are mid-30's and thankfully healthy. However, both our jobs are considered "essential" so we are still working. For that fact, meaning we could travel and help it spread we decided to stay here.

We don't have a big driveway but will most likely "driveway camp" at some point just to clean it up and make sure it is ready to go when the day comes we can all get back out and enjoy this great country we live in.

Stay at home or travel, regardless what you decide stay safe out there everyone.

2018 Days Camped - 15
2019 Days Camped - 34
2020 Days Camped - 30
Old 03-22-2020, 04:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Americans worship Freedom. I know I do. But this situation is sort of like the old "Yelling fire in a crowded theater" is not exercising your First Amendment Free Rights. It goes beyond your right, because it endangers OTHERS' rights.
Exaggerating and being self-righteous does not endear your ideas to others. The simple act of traveling does not endanger your or anyone else's "rights", especially if I am asymptomatic and have no reason to believe I am infected with CV. None of us has any "right" to be free from disease. Nor do we have "rights" to a long life. Our God-given rights, named in the Constitution and Declaration of Independence are not rights to things, but rights to our thoughts and ideas.

Quote:
That's what this is. "We're going to travel, and you all can do what YOU think best" is going to cause someone, somewhere, to get sick. May not be you, but someone who gets out and travels anyway, regardless, is indeed going to cause sickness.
That is a prediction on your part. You are trying to limit my freedom based on what MAY happen (very similar argument to what the gun control enthusiasts use). I dare say I am much more likely to be infected at work (where I am mission essential and therefore must work unless I am sick or have reason to go into quarantine) or trying to buy TP or bread at the local stores than I would be relaxing in our campsite or hiking on the park trails.

Quote:
I ain't moving. Course I'm rife with those "underlying conditions", so I get a bit scared. But y'all do what you want, selfish or not.
Calling people "selfish" because they disagree with you - it will have the same effect on me that Hillary got by putting me in a "basket of deplorables". And yes, both DW and I have age and underlying conditions going against us in a battle against CV. But we refuse to live our lives in fear, and hopefully will be at peace when the Lord calls us home. We will take reasonable precautions, and proceed.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW
2008 Hyundai Entourage
camping at Trinidad Lake SP for the next 3 days
Old 03-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #28

I think it is time for the site crew to shut this thread down. I just don't want it spinning out of control. The DW and I had a question, needed a little push. We received answers on both sides of the line and made our decision. There are enough other threads going on out there. I don't think we need another one. Thanks everyone.

2018 Days Camped - 15
2019 Days Camped - 34
2020 Days Camped - 30
Old 03-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #29
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
I think it is time for the site crew to shut this thread down. I just don't want it spinning out of control. The DW and I had a question, needed a little push. We received answers on both sides of the line and made our decision. There are enough other threads going on out there. I don't think we need another one. Thanks everyone.

I agree. Way too many experts and opinionated responses. Each person here needs to just remain true to their self and make good decisions based on their circumstance.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
Old 03-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Exaggerating and being self-righteous does not endear your ideas to others. The simple act of traveling does not endanger your or anyone else's "rights", especially if I am asymptomatic and have no reason to believe I am infected with CV. None of us has any "right" to be free from disease. Nor do we have "rights" to a long life. Our God-given rights, named in the Constitution and Declaration of Independence are not rights to things, but rights to our thoughts and ideas.

That is a prediction on your part. You are trying to limit my freedom based on what MAY happen (very similar argument to what the gun control enthusiasts use). I dare say I am much more likely to be infected at work (where I am mission essential and therefore must work unless I am sick or have reason to go into quarantine) or trying to buy TP or bread at the local stores than I would be relaxing in our campsite or hiking on the park trails.

Calling people "selfish" because they disagree with you - it will have the same effect on me that Hillary got by putting me in a "basket of deplorables". And yes, both DW and I have age and underlying conditions going against us in a battle against CV. But we refuse to live our lives in fear, and hopefully will be at peace when the Lord calls us home. We will take reasonable precautions, and proceed.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW
2008 Hyundai Entourage
I agree, I can not live my life in fear of what if. I canít live my life in fear of something that hasnít happened yet. Thatís not life, not to me anyway. If Ocean Lakes has any spots left Iím going next month
Old 03-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #31

Quote:

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW
2008 Hyundai Entourage
Good grief. Did you go to school anywhere?

You tell me not to exaggerate, THEN you say "Traveling doesn't endanger anyone".

Are you serious? Talk about an exaggeration. That is a wild-assed assumption on your part that is not compatible with anything the health experts have said. If traveling is not endangering anybody, WHY DO THEY SAY TO STAY HOME?

WHERE did I exaggerate?

You guys slay me. You think protecting yourself against disease is somehow equivalent to "Living your life in fear". Changing the meaning of words or phrases won't win an argument.

It's you who are using inflammatory terms to change the meaning of reality. When you travel, you endanger others. That proves your selfishness and lack of caring for others. You are like the kids partying on the beaches of Florida.

I hope you weather this storm and come out ok. Good luck.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 03-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #32
SeŮor Member

Only my rights,
no responsibilities.

It's not about just you.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Good grief. Did you go to school anywhere?
Actually, I have an MSEE from Purdue University. And have spent many years performing risk mitigation, evaluation, and management.

Quote:
WHERE did I exaggerate?
This thread started out about going camping. How exactly does my wife and I traveling down the road to a state park and camping represent a threat to others? I don't expect to have contact with a ranger - Colorado's reservation system is all electronic, and you must have reservations to camp. When we stop for gas and perhaps a packaged snack - restaurants are take-out or delivery only in Colorado - how is that different from going to work?

Quote:
It's you who are using inflammatory terms to change the meaning of reality. When you travel, you endanger others. That proves your selfishness and lack of caring for others. You are like the kids partying on the beaches of Florida.
You are the one making blanket statements that can be easily proven false with a few non-extreme examples. Our camping is nothing like the kids partying on the Florida beaches - and you know it. But you must defend your position.

If traveling is such a threat, why are we allowing the trucks to roll? Why are we allowing airlines to still fly? Because the costs of shutting transportation down are much greater than the cost of treating transportation workers infected by travelers (or vice versa).

You may get your wish anyway. Rumors are flying the Governor will lock down Colorado completely tomorrow (we are partially locked down already). I'd love to see the assumptions in the risk calculation that shows more lives will be saved going to complete lockdown instead of partial; that more lives will be saved by keeping everybody inside instead of allowing them outside to exercise and enjoy the Spring weather; that fewer lives will be ruined by completely crashing our economy.

Quote:
I hope you weather this storm and come out ok. Good luck.
The same to you.

Fred W
Old 03-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #34

Quote:
How exactly does my wife and I traveling down the road to a state park and camping represent a threat to others? I don't expect to have contact with a ranger - Colorado's reservation system is all electronic, and you must have reservations to camp.

seriously? You WILL be close to others. You have to check in when you get there, even if by drive through. You will get fuel. You will be out and about. Thinking that your exposure risk is ZERO is your flaw. It is not.

I do agree that truckers, travel, etc. is a risk. I don't have a good answer for that. But the attitude of "I'm going to just go ahead and do non-essential fun things because I somehow KNOW it will not be dangerous", is what IS dangerous.

You are putting yourself and your desire for recreation ahead of your fellow countrymen.

That's my opinion.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 03-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #35

Well, this thread just got as ridiculous as people hoarding toilet paper and bragging about it...
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 03-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #36

X2. Agree with most of what you are saying. Going anywhere, touching anything, breathing in proximity of anyone, is a risk now. Only time will tell if it's as bad as some experts say it is, and will be.
Liz and I were out on a trip when all this hit. Now we are home making supply deliveries to folks who shouldn't be out (older and/or comprised immune systems). We try to wipe down packages we leave at their door step. Don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt!
Quote:
seriously? You WILL be close to others. You have to check in when you get there, even if by drive through. You will get fuel. You will be out and about. Thinking that your exposure risk is ZERO is your flaw. It is not.

I do agree that truckers, travel, etc. is a risk. I don't have a good answer for that. But the attitude of "I'm going to just go ahead and do non-essential fun things because I somehow KNOW it will not be dangerous", is what IS dangerous.

You are putting yourself and your desire for recreation ahead of your fellow countrymen.

That's my opinion.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 03-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2. Agree with most of what you are saying. Going anywhere, touching anything, breathing in proximity of anyone, is a risk now. Only time will tell if it's as bad as some experts say it is, and will be.
Liz and I were out on a trip when all this hit. Now we are home making supply deliveries to folks who shouldn't be out (older and/or comprised immune systems). We try to wipe down packages we leave at their door step. Don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt!
We are trying to figure out the best strategy when we drop off groceries to my 86 year old mom. We make sure she washes her hands after handling everything.

I need to remind her to wash her hands after touching the same things after that.

Personally, there is no way i would be camping right now.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post

Agreed. Thread closed

As per the guidelines:

Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.

Members, please read this "read me" sticky we have going. Members who we see causing strife, will have their posting abilities curtailed. It's that simple. Opinion threads like this should usually have you post no more than once or twice to share your opinion, then you need to move on. Let's keep this civil and helpful.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ea-203418.html

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
Closed Thread

Tags
travel