Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 08:01 PM   #61

Smile Big Texan steakhouse in Amarillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensatt View Post
So the lots were pretty empty, much like the new car dealer lots and that was probably up to last year 2021 to mid - year 2021. I am seeing the lots are full of vehicles now driving by them, this is in Houston area.

So also, I did allot of "Covid Bugging out" during 2020-2021 , mainly too Oklahoma, and Arkansas, Branson, Middle Earth America and it was great! No lockdowns or any BS we ran into and the trailer park owners were all saying the same thing. Best 2 years they ever had and sorry to see it go, its starting to wind down.

I know this much, glad I am an RVer. I like the freedom, especially the FREE lodging overnight on long long drives. We are planning a trip right now to New Mexico and need hotel rooms for family and and they gotta deal with that, with a 2 day drive, we just Boon it overnight it at the Big Texan Steakhouse RV lot in Amarillo from Houston to Taos, free, but NOT for the relatives.
We loved that restaurant. Also Bill’s antique cars is a must-see. And the RV museum. Need to plan another trip out that way soon.
Occasionally carry 2 bikes
larryb0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:14 PM   #62
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Kris, if your really into OBX the KOA has a fisherman's special in fall Your not going to see it written, your going to have to ask and they will pretend they never heard of it until after labor-day.

last year I think it was October was $1000, November was $800. Even less if your saying longer. There is several people who do that starting mid September. Down there its beach season through around late October than it gets a little cold for sitting in the sand. I think we were in for 1/2 October and 1/2 November. By than the only restaurant open was watermans retreat which closed early November and Lisa's pizza.

they used to have a deal where you could have 30 nights used anytime between mid September and Easter for like $600 but they said it was too hard to keep track of it.
Thanks for tip! I'm usually there right after Labor Day. Prices fall, crowds gone, still plenty warm, ocean temp peaking in 80's. Restaurant scene was a wreck last September, nobody working, terrible wait times (over an hour and a half to be served, according to others). Ended up eating at RV all the time except for picking up some boiled shrimp from local joint to go now and then. I always intend to go fishing, but the margaritas seem to take priority and it never happens.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:57 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Thanks for tip! I'm usually there right after Labor Day. Prices fall, crowds gone, still plenty warm, ocean temp peaking in 80's. Restaurant scene was a wreck last September, nobody working, terrible wait times (over an hour and a half to be served, according to others). Ended up eating at RV all the time except for picking up some boiled shrimp from local joint to go now and then. I always intend to go fishing, but the margaritas seem to take priority and it never happens.

Ah yes!....margaritas at the OBX! Kris, you sound just like me when I go. Lots of things to do, but sitting on the beach with a cold one always seems to win me and my GF over every time. One of these seasons real soon, I'm gonna be sitting there with you, my friend!
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:30 AM   #64

Quote:

Another tip for those who live in the the north and have kids in school. In NC school start the week before memorial day. In PA school starts after memorial day so we always scheduled that week before LD at OBX and the local crowds and lots of the kids were gone. (but you have to schedule months in advance to get it).
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:55 AM   #65
Trailer Park Supervisor

But they still gouge ya on the rates until after Labor Day. (not as bad as when you rent a house down there). Heck, Hatteras Sands charges their "Labor Day Weekend Rate" even on tue and maybe even wed after Labor Day, an extra 10 bucks per night.

GP, come down to Frisco Woods after Labor Day and look for a 25' flag pole with stars and stripes + a USMC flag, that'll be me. First drink is on me! Maybe 2nd too!
Old 01-14-2022, 12:25 PM   #66

Quote:
But they still gouge ya on the rates until after Labor Day. (not as bad as when you rent a house down there). Heck, Hatteras Sands charges their "Labor Day Weekend Rate" even on tue and maybe even wed after Labor Day, an extra 10 bucks per night.

GP, come down to Frisco Woods after Labor Day and look for a 25' flag pole with stars and stripes + a USMC flag, that'll be me. First drink is on me! Maybe 2nd too!

Ok Kris, you had me at "first drink is on me". My GF and I are going to start making reservations next week for our summer camping trips. Pretty sure I can convince her to go there on a shortened second trip sometime the week after Labor Day. We normally try to take a week in June or July for our first OBX trip, but with the inflated campground prices, we may only make it once this year.

I'll message you back channel after I have dates confirmed. Second and thirds are on me.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #67
Trailer Park Supervisor

Roger. There are still a few sites left right on the sound. I booked C22. I think I will be paying just under 80 per night after military/Good Sam discount. Not bad for waterfront.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:01 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Attachment 267647Attachment 267648
We were on the Oregon coast last year. Not ocean front but a great ocean view. $95.00 a night.
I would not pay $200 for ANY campsite.

Actually, I would pay $200 but it would have to include full service (wash/dry/fold) laundry plus a wash and wax of the coach.

Fat chance.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:04 PM   #69

It was pretty big year for predators
The marketplace was on a roll
And the land of opportunity
Spawned a whole new breed of men without souls
This year notoriety got all confused with fame
And the devil is downhearted babe, cause
There's nothing left for him to claim

He said it's just like home
It's so low-down I can't stand it
I guess my work around here has all been done

- Lyrics from "Garden of Allah" - Don Henley

2021 Forest River "Salem" FSX 177BH
2022 Ford F-150 XL 5.0 Liter V8, Tow Package, 400HP 410lbs Torque, 2WD, 3.31 Locking Rear End, Super Crew Cab, Vinyl Floors, Factory Steel Wheels, Iconic Silver
"Keep Calm and Take Them to the Train Station"
HistoricMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:59 AM   #70
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricMustang View Post
It was pretty big year for predators
The marketplace was on a roll
And the land of opportunity
Spawned a whole new breed of men without souls
This year notoriety got all confused with fame
And the devil is downhearted babe, cause
There's nothing left for him to claim

He said it's just like home
It's so low-down I can't stand it
I guess my work around here has all been done

- Lyrics from "Garden of Allah" - Don Henley
I've noticed that all of Henley's songs are political with a slant in one direction only.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper