Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #1

Unhappy SOLD OUT of Rv's

It's everyone's worst nightmare.....we researched new trailers....we sold our old one....and now all the trailers are sold out. We are lost. The only thing we can do is twiddle our thumbs and look at our pile of stuff that we took out of our old trailer and transferred to our dining room "temporarily". We also write checks to our storage company for our empty parking space. I have no idea when more trailers will reach California. The emptiness in my heart is real.
I miss camping.

2020 RAM 1500
RIP 2017 Wildwood 195BH
BaileyGoesCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #2

First toilet paper and now this!

Bruce
Old 08-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm not trying to be crass at all, I'm just trying to understand why you would sell your R/V and prepay for storage when you didn't have a replacement nailed down?

Dealers not having inventory and manufacturing delays are well documented online or in person if visiting a dealer.

Campgrounds are mostly booked to capacity (at least in our locale) and loads of folks are using R/Vs for quarantine.

I hope you get your dilemma resolved.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
PhD, Common Sense

Rent?
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #5
Happy Keystone Owner

I wonder if the normal 30% off of msrp is even obtainable.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
prepay for storage when you didn't have a replacement nailed down
they may have a cherry spot in that part of the country... you let someone else have it then get in line for another spot to come available... the garage I rent to store my boat is rent in advance...

OP,
have you looked for inventory in IN, or OH at some of the larger dealers in the mid-west? I know they can get them towed out to you... of course you mostly have to forego the initial PDI, but maybe you could drive out to pick it up and be back in a week?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
My BIL buys used RV from dealers and sells them on eBay. Dealers are selling mostly new, not many trades. He said they can not get wholesale prices and are having o bid retail to get a used unit.

Sellers market.....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
Not in California. Never was because West Coast dealers take advantage of customers out here.
You would be lucky to get 20% off of MSRP.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm not trying to be crass at all, I'm just trying to understand why you would sell your R/V and prepay for storage when you didn't have a replacement nailed down?

Dealers not having inventory and manufacturing delays are well documented online or in person if visiting a dealer.

Campgrounds are mostly booked to capacity (at least in our locale) and loads of folks are using R/Vs for quarantine.

I hope you get your dilemma resolved.
This isn’t a new spot, it’s the spot we’ve had for years and if we give it up we will not get a new one for possibly 6 months or more and our city doesn’t allow for more than 2 nights in front of our home. So we pay month to month hoping we will be able to purchase another trailer. As for nailing down the replacement, 2 dealerships had two trailers we wanted. It took 7 days to sell our trailer and by the time that passed everything was gone.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #10

While I don’t think this even comes close to everyone’s worst nightmare, I do sympathize. But I think you are limiting yourself by restricting your search to local dealers. You have a tow vehicle, so use that to go wherever the Trailer you find is and make it a trip on the way back. Sure you may have to limit the amount of your normal “stuff” you bring but you can fit the basic as and then some in a pickup. Open your search radius up. You can easily be a thousand miles away with one overnight stay. You’ll probably pay a lot less than you would in California anyway.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #11

The signs for this have been coming since March. Many of the RV manufacturing plants closed for several weeks or more. The media has been reporting that many people are now buying campers for the first time.

Simple supply in demand RVs are in short supply prices will be higher and supplies lower. We all knew this was coming for months........

Now next year many that had no idea how much work camping can be and possibly less people will be buying. Who knows.

Deals this years are not likely.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
While I don’t think this even comes close to everyone’s worst nightmare, I do sympathize. But I think you are limiting yourself by restricting your search to local dealers. You have a tow vehicle, so use that to go wherever the Trailer you find is and make it a trip on the way back. Sure you may have to limit the amount of your normal “stuff” you bring but you can fit the basic as and then some in a pickup. Open your search radius up. You can easily be a thousand miles away with one overnight stay. You’ll probably pay a lot less than you would in California anyway.
Yes, I know I’m being dramatic. It’s been 3 months and I’m whiny. I’m not opposed to a trip out of state! I’ve looked at dealers out of state and worry that by the time we get out there they will sell out. Some prices seem too good to be true. $16k for a 22RR in Texas?! What?! Is that real? Also, I cross reference dealers on Yelp and sometimes there are really bad reviews. Can anyone recommend a dealer out of state?
Thank you!
Old 08-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
First toilet paper and now this!

Bruce
I know, right?! Lol
Old 08-01-2020, 07:40 PM   #14
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyGoesCamping View Post
Yes, I know I’m being dramatic. It’s been 3 months and I’m whiny. I’m not opposed to a trip out of state! I’ve looked at dealers out of state and worry that by the time we get out there they will sell out. Some prices seem too good to be true. $16k for a 22RR in Texas?! What?! Is that real? Also, I cross reference dealers on Yelp and sometimes there are really bad reviews. Can anyone recommend a dealer out of state?
Thank you!
I can’t speak about all dealers, but I researched prices online for our RV. Jeff Couch in Ohio had the best prices, and they were real—so we bought from them.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #15

We ordered are Trailer from Trailer Hitch RV in Nipomo when we lived in Southern CA it's just south of Pismo Beach and we got 30 % off the MSRP they beat all the prices we could find in our local area like Giant, Marjons, Family RV...Etc it was well worth the drive...After we did the PDI they paid for 2 night camping at Pismo Beach RV to shake out any issues and gave $50 in credit at their store in Grover Beach....This was back in 2016 before we moved to NC in 2017.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #16

Oh the horror!
Cash to spend, a need to camp, and no trailers in sight!

I do understand paying rent for an empty storage space. Smart move. Someone else will be looking to rent that spot for their new trailer.

Hope you find something soon.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyGoesCamping View Post
Thank you!
Which brand and model numvpber are you looking at buying? What brand is the 22RR?
Knowing that will help narrow down the number of dealerships.
When we lived in Napa Valley, we drove to Chicago and back for our first new trailer. Saved thousands of dollars and FR found us numerous local dealers willing to do the warranty work.
We plan to do the same thing for our next new trailer, when we plan to upgrade to a 5th wheel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #18

Just had a piece on CBS weekend news about 30 minutes ago (PDT).

RV Dealers are selling all they can get, as quick as they arrived. Interviewed one Dealer who normally has 500 or more RV's on his lot. Now? Just over 125 and dropping.

If I had a need for a particular RV I'd let my fingers do the walking on my keyboard and find one somewhere in the country. I'm sure that not every place in the US is as wacky as CA.

If buying out of state I'd just plan a week or two for camping near the selling dealer in order to find any flaws or warranty issues I wouldn't want to deal with myself. Get it in writing (part of sales agreement) that any deficiencies would be repaired on a priority basis BEFORE you leave town. No "leave it and we'll get to it when we feel like it" warranty service.

That said, the trailer I bought hasn't had to go back to the Dealer yet for a single issue. Bought it three years ago last month. Not all units have a ton of warranty issues.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #19

I don't think id want to buy new right now with demand the way it is. Quality is bad enough in a regular market. Imagine what it's like now?
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I don't think id want to buy new right now with demand the way it is. Quality is bad enough in a regular market. Imagine what it's like now?
The bigger issue is the prices one will be paying.

Simple economics. If Dealers can sell all they can get, prices won't be discounted. MSRP may become the selling price. Popular models in demand may even have Dealer add-on stickers.

Just like the automobile and housing market in boom times.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sold