Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #1

Still Purchase A Trailer? Looking for advice

I put down a $250 deposit in February on a 2018 used Jayco travel trailer. We know the dealers well, very reputable, no issues there. With the pandemic and possible forecast for the virus to "reemerge" in the fall, I'm having serious doubts about this camping season. We had also planned a trip this fall to visit my in-laws who snowbird in AZ. I can't really justify paying $20,000 plus a truck hitch and possibly not using the unit at all, if very little until 2021. I would certainly feel bad if I pull out of the deal but I would definitely purchase from them next spring. So, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Sam (WI)
buckybad305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #2

I fully understand your concerns. Right now is probably a good time to save a bundle though!

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #3

Just my two cents--
If you can't justify the expense. Don't do it. However, if you have been looking for a long time and this is the one, get it if you have a place to park it next to your house and use it on your days off at close to home campgrounds.

You have to make the decision....

We bought a brand new TT in 2005 and only used it on weekends. Had a place to park it that had no expense. The next one in 2010 was pretty much the same except for a couple of two to three week trips. Now with the MH we travel a lot (retired).

Have Fun!!!
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybad305 View Post
I can't really justify paying $20,000 plus a truck hitch and possibly not using the unit at all, if very little until 2021.(WI)
I think you answered your own question.
If you can't justify the cost, don't do it. There will still be rvs for sale next spring and you've already done the hard work of finding out what you want. Losing the down payment will be less than the 1 year depreciation on the rig.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #5

I imagine there will be no shortage of inventory this year or next spring. We wonder if we will be able to use it more than a couple times this year. This is like a bad sci-fi movie
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #6

I agree with the others if you can't afford it or think that you may lose your job, don't buy it, but I also would not let the pandemic stop me.

We are considering making our own campsite at the farm.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #7

Thanks for your opinions! Much appreciated!
Old 04-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #8

Hi, I’m in the same boat. Put a 500 dollar deposit on ours in early March. The dealer just reopened and called me today. I said I want to pick it up ASAP! If nothing else, I’m putting it in my backyard and camping there! I’m not going to let this virus prevent my dreams from coming true. I’m in PA and I think some campgrounds may be opening up early May.
Rjpoog1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #9

Thanks! Trying to use both "heart and head" and what would my father say if he was still with me? Appreciate it!
Old 04-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #10

Purchase

Guys get real this isn't going to last forever there is no reason you can't go camping this summer the government has no legal right to do what they are trying to do.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #11

BuckyBad- I would suggest you consider postponing the purchase. We are a long way from being done with the pandemic. 2021, hopefully, will be have a better handle on antibodies and inoculations to make travel safer. You could go ahead and get the hitch. Good luck and stay safe!
REinNC
RonIn NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:41 PM   #12

To be or not to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybad305 View Post
I put down a $250 deposit in February on a 2018 used Jayco travel trailer. We know the dealers well, very reputable, no issues there. With the pandemic and possible forecast for the virus to "reemerge" in the fall, I'm having serious doubts about this camping season. We had also planned a trip this fall to visit my in-laws who snowbird in AZ. I can't really justify paying $20,000 plus a truck hitch and possibly not using the unit at all, if very little until 2021. I would certainly feel bad if I pull out of the deal but I would definitely purchase from them next spring. So, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Sam (WI)
What kind (make and model) is it?? Is it worth 20K used? I don’t know. May be a blessing in disguise.
Either way. Enjoy. Happy camping
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
Back On The Go

It really is a flip of the coin depending on where you are, where and how long you want to camp, whether you plan to be with lots of people when you’re out and so on. Personally we can’t wait to get out to the coast to put our feet in tthe sand and water. Normally it’s just the 2 of us and the dog. It is an expensive life style but we sure enjoy it. I’d hate to think of the rig sitting for too much longer.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
I fully understand your concerns. Right now is probably a good time to save a bundle though!
I had an economics professor in college who taught me his personal mantra. It supported his being profitable in the market no matter what the economic conditions.
He said, "there will never be a better time than now and there's never been a better place than here".

Hope I got that quote right. The point is you can't wait for perfect world you're living your life now and you've got to do life now and make it fit the world around you.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
Guys get real this isn't going to last forever there is no reason you can't go camping this summer the government has no legal right to do what they are trying to do.
and I think the above statement is supported by the fact that the government has not tried to shut down dispersed camping in the national forests and has not done much about shutting down to Spurs can't bring in open BLM areas.

Considering the time of year which isn't terribly desirable, as of last week, quartzsite was basically full
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer