Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #1

Strange responses to Covid19

We have travel plans for July and August. We plan to travel from Wisconsin to Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and then home. As seniors, we wear masks when out in public. We plan to social distance while traveling.

Has anyone had any issues social distancing or wearing masks while traveling?

Pat, WW9R
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2614BS
2019 Ford F-250 Superduty XLT, Crew cab, long box, 6.7L Diesel, 3.55 Gears
ProPride P3 Hitch with 1400 lbs bars
Haloview rear and side view cameras
Old 05-23-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
FLY4FUN

...no travel experience while "masked"...yet, but with local visits for groceries, etc. we were initially uncomfortable wearing but did anyway (Yep, we're seniors, too). Wearing and seeing others masked has seemed to become practically normal everywhere we go. In our part of the Country it's likely to be a bit UNcomfy with high temps/high humidity in coming weeks/months, but doing our best to stay well is the clear priority for us. "Things are more like they are right now than they've ever been" :-)

Old 05-23-2020, 10:58 PM   #3

No experience with traveling lately.

However, since Texas has opened up, there are many people going mask-less which makes me a bit uncomfortable as a member of the 'over 65' crowd. There are reports of some businesses not letting people in if they are wearing a mask which would make me even more uncomfortable if traveling.

Thinking of doing what some restaurants and beauty salons are doing and wearing face shields. They may be more effective than masks. https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...ent-to-covid#1
Old 05-23-2020, 11:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Not sure what your title means, in regards to your questions. But we were a couple of weeks into our 2 month winter trip to the Southwest, when things got crazy the beginning of March.
We left SoCal for Arizona, where things weren't as crazy. But by the middle of March, things began to tighten up. The DW made a couple of masks and I did all the shopping. It was quite easy to social distance at the places we stayed but, other than great weather, there wasn't as much fun things to do, especially in the places we stayed.
But things at home were much worse so we extended our stay in Arizona. Finally, when Arizona's governor closed all swimming pools, I said let's go home because I'm not staying in Arizona without water to cool off in.
By that time, things in Washington State had flattened and things had improved. Spent our 14 days of quarantine at home.
I will say that the vast majority of seniors, at these places, were treating things pretty much as normal. They still socialized with their friends and got together at each other's sites.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 05-23-2020, 11:29 PM   #5

It was a bad title, I was curious what what taking place in other states. It is mixed in WI. Some wear masks, while the majority are pretending it has been cured. Most people ignore folks wearing masks, some laugh at those that do. Just a sign of a bigger problem.

Pat, WW9R
Old 05-24-2020, 01:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHoppe View Post
It was a bad title, I was curious what what taking place in other states. It is mixed in WI. Some wear masks, while the majority are pretending it has been cured. Most people ignore folks wearing masks, some laugh at those that do. Just a sign of a bigger problem.
Here in Ohio, it's about 50%-50% on people wearing masks. Most of the older folks are and some of the under 50 year old group are but most are not. Over all, most people are social distancing in public, giving 6' of space, etc. Plenty of sanitizer available when you walk in stores or Lysol wipes to wipe your shopping carts. Some knuckleheads once in a while (everywhere has their share I guess) that just walk up in your space and then look at you like "what?" when you freeze and back away from them.

Haven't had anyone laugh at me or other that I've seen. I think most people get it that it's a bigger threat to some than others and you can't tell if you're carrying it as some people don't have or show symptoms ever but are positive.

I wear my mask when I'm going to be in places I can't control my distancing to others. Inside a building mainly. If I'm outside and will have plenty of space, I carry it but don't put it on unless it's getting crowded. Don't go out more than I need to and spending a lot of time at home and at work.

Be Safe.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:34 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHoppe View Post

I went ahead and edited the title to be more reflective of the topic.

I've reported my DNA missing just in case it's found somewhere bad.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:18 AM   #8

In my home state of Illinois, with the exception of some outliers, nearly everyone is currently wearing a mask in public places. It can vary in compliance depending on the type of business. Last week I traveled to and camped in northern Arkansas, I saw only five masks total over the course of 4 days while in Arkansas. Missouri appeared to be mixed, but I didn't stop there except to purchase fuel.

During the travels, I used a mask regardless of local practice, and avoided contact with the public as much as possible. I decided to take extra precautions as I thought appropriate, even if it was not the local practice.

It did seem like the practice of social distancing varied from one extreme to the other.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #9

Here in California it is required to wear a mask whenever we are out near others. We've just had our RV for a year this month and I was hoping to be able to go out this summer. How is iit out there for RVers? From what I can see on line almost all state and national parks and other places I would want to visit are still closed.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #10

Do you understand that masks (unless N95 which are nearly impossible to get right now) protect others from you but "DO NOT" protect you from others?

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2018 Ram 1500 ED W/GDE Tunes
airlifts - Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
Old 05-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #11

GoneSouth10 here - Reporting from Orange County, California:
As someone posted up above, mask are mandatory in a lot of places now in California (Costco, Rite-Aid, Vons, etc.) so everyone wears them. MOST people simply put them on after exiting their car and while walking up to the store, then remove them shortly after walking out of the store. That makes perfect sense to me. You see some people driving around in their car, solo, with their mask on, but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of that
In terms of other pubic places that are "open air" (e.g., at a gas pump), it's probably 60% wearing masks, but I haven't experienced any sort of "mask shaming" (or conversely, shaming for not wearing a mask - I'm one of the 40% in those "open air" places) that is apparently occurring in other parts of the country.
I did see a sign that kind of summed up the new normal for the next little while (no, I have no fear that this is going to be permanent! ):
"No Shoes, No Shirt, No Mask, No Service!"
That sign also puts it in perspective - if you want "service", abide by that establishment's rules!
Old 05-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
Tundra 2014

Virus

In North TX, we are still having businesses "request" that everyone wear masks. I have not seen anyone refused entry though. The masks protect others from you, not so much you from them. I prefer places having their employees to wear the masks and where the businesses are at least "Requesting" customers to wear them. I have not seen any signs refusing service to any one w/ a mask. I understand the robbery rate in Dallas County is up 12.5%. The high crime areas, I avoid anyway. As one of the over 65 club, I will continue to limit exposure to higher risk areas where close contact is impossible to avoid. Like small restaurants, bars and salons. I was at the point I was going to have to go to a "Man Bun" or let my wife cut my hair. The "Man Bun" would not have looked good on me. Bald in front and a Pom-Pom in back.
In retrospect, I may have to rethink the salon issue. I may look like a "Cue Ball", but safe. LOL
Old 05-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #13
Site Team

The site team just deleted several posts (or responses) that are against the posting guidelines. Do NOT repost or attempt to hijack this thread again.

I've reported my DNA missing just in case it's found somewhere bad.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #14

We recently traveled from southern California to Texas and found very few people wearing them in the roadside stops. They are very iffy here in North Texas too even though we are near the Dallas hotspot.
Andersen hitch
Old 05-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #15

Yes, I understand that completely. If we all wear a mask, then it’s best for everyone. Since it has to start somewhere, I choose to wear one.
Stay healthy

Pat, WW9R
Old 05-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #16
waybeck2018

Here in Central Alabama I am estimating 60-70% are wearing masks. Food stores, gas stations, veterinarian are the major place I visit. Did see a few look at me and shake their heads and grin (non mask wearer of course.) I got lucky at my home campground and a lady with a site near me is a hair stylist. We both wore masks and she wore gloves. Obeyed the states mandate for hair salons. Compliance is not difficult, just annoying at times. But, for us, also over 65, we do what we gotta do.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
Old 05-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The site team just deleted several posts (or responses) that are against the posting guidelines. Do NOT repost or attempt to hijack this thread again.
How about a "Behind The Woodshed" thread where you can move all those posts instead of deleting them?? You may be destroying valuable entertainment value!!

Kidding aside, I hope everyone employs good old common sense and doing what they need to in order to stay healthy and keep everyone else healthy!
Old 05-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #18

To me its all normal I did have to wear a mask for my checkup at the dortores but thats as far at I go right now
I never did like to shake a hand or hug unless I really knew you I wont touch a public door knob in a bathroom use the pen on a card reader in a store, I always did wipe my shopping cart down because a few years ago I saw a woman remove her baby from one and it had peed and poop when in it. I never did like a person right in my face or right behind me in a store I tell them to back off in a mad voice and being 6-3 and 280 I can look mean
Old 05-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #19

Perhaps this thread should be closed, as it keeps going off track. The original question is, “Has anyone had any issues social distancing or wearing masks while traveling?”
Old 05-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #20

We are currently camping in Western PA. Social distancing is no problem do to the size of the campground. I were a mask when I go into a building to shop or for what ever reason as do most people. I do not wear a mask when out doors because they were not designed to do that. Carbon dioxide can build up if you wear the mask too long and you can pass out; this has already happened to a woman in New Jersey. So to sum it up. Social distance, wear a cloth covering over your face (mask) when you go into a building or are in a area where you cannot social distance and use common sense to stay safe. Have a great time camping.

Closed Thread