Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 09:17 AM   #1

Texas (State) Parks closing

All Texas parks and historic sites are closing as of midnight tonight 4/7.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #2

Just to be clear I assume you mean all Texas STATE parks, not including private parks.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
Site Team

At the direction of Gov. Greg Abbott, Texas State Parks will be closed to the public effective at the close of business Tuesday, April 7 in order to maintain the safest environment for visitors, volunteers and staff. We will continue to stay current with the latest public health recommendations and will announce when a definite reopening date has been determined. Here are the details: bit.ly/StateParksClose

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:43 AM   #4

Sorry. I forgot to put in the State.

It's a bit surprising because he's resisted closing them. Makes me think we're not at the apex yet.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #5

Texas State Parks closing

Tuesday April 7th

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/28548e1
Old 04-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #6

I still don't get how 'camping' or otherwise using public 'parks' somehow exposes anyone to any additional 'risks' than those that live 12' from each others doors in apartment complexes, use the same stairs and elevators, or are picking from the same bin for tomatoes at Walmart ! Crazy. The one thing we SHOULD be encouraging is to GET OUTSIDE and use the great outdoors to minimize the very things that they seem to be so 'afraid' of somehow 'doing' to each other. Being cooped up at home, or passing each other in Lowes within 2' of each other because the aisles are so tight, is not doing anything less 'risky' - yet it's all we have, apparently.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I still don't get how 'camping' or otherwise using public 'parks' somehow exposes anyone to any additional 'risks' than those that live 12' from each others doors in apartment complexes, use the same stairs and elevators, or are picking from the same bin for tomatoes at Walmart ! Crazy. The one thing we SHOULD be encouraging is to GET OUTSIDE and use the great outdoors to minimize the very things that they seem to be so 'afraid' of somehow 'doing' to each other. Being cooped up at home, or passing each other in Lowes within 2' of each other because the aisles are so tight, is not doing anything less 'risky' - yet it's all we have, apparently.

X2! It is so nice to see that there are still people out there that feel like we do. We are currently camping at Stone Mountain in Georgia. It is nice going on hikes and being outside. God bless you all.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I still don't get how 'camping' or otherwise using public 'parks' somehow exposes anyone to any additional 'risks' ...
I think it probably boils down to health department regulations... If a public space is open, therefore public restroom facilities, water, and trash services must be provided... So even if you're physically staying away from others, there are still points of common contact.

And unfortunately, as seen in the National Parks, once people were off work, kids were at home, and gas was cheap, people started hitting the parks in record numbers. Its pretty hard to practice social distancing on trails as you meet and have to pass other hikers.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post
Its pretty hard to practice social distancing on trails as you meet and have to pass other hikers.

My wife is a doctor. We are not worried about all of that. Unless someone walks by me and sneezes or coughs on me, I’m not going to get it. We see people driving in their cars with masks on. That’s crazy. People need to educate themselves on how they can catch a virus. The media should educate people instead of just scare them.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
My wife is a doctor. We are not worried about all of that. Unless someone walks by me and sneezes or coughs on me, I’m not going to get it. We see people driving in their cars with masks on. That’s crazy. People need to educate themselves on how they can catch a virus. The media should educate people instead of just scare them.
They’re now saying it can spread by breathing and talking. You don’t need someone to sneeze on you to catch it.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Which media would you trust to tell you the truth on that? Conversely, which media would you never trust?

The US Surgeon General himself said on March 31 that no one that's asymptomatic should wear a mask, unless they are medical folks On April 5, he said everyone should wear one even if it's made from old underwear.

Hard to trust what's going on, and a DANGED LOT is going on.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #12

Anything to keep scaring you. We’re not going to worry about all of that.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:53 PM   #13

Quote:
I agree that people driving in their cars with masks on are practicing 'overkill'.

You might want to check on why the tigers at the zoo caught the virus. The science has now said that this virus can be transmitted through the air without someone actually coughing or sneezing on you. I trust the scientists, not the media.

Unfortunately, the masks won't protect those drivers, but they might help slow down the amount of virus transferred to someone else. The science hasn't been done on that yet, so it might be overkill.

You're lucky that you can camp. I wish we were out camping because if we were camped, we couldn't transmit or catch this virus. If people had actually practiced 'social distancing' while on the trails or at the beach, we wouldn't be cooped up at home.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #14

formerFR.....

I agree 100%..... I’d think a campsite would be one of the safest spots a family could be in....

If CG’s were opened to only “fully self-contained” RV’s (no need to open CG restrooms/showers) then that would provide us full-timers a “safe-zone”
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
If CG’s were opened to only “fully self-contained” RV’s (no need to open CG restrooms/showers) then that would provide us full-timers a “safe-zone”
As mentioned in my previous point... Since most every campground has to adhere to health department requirements, either county/state/federal, they won't be allowed to stay open without offering water and sanitation services. Period.

There are those of us who are responsible enough to not use a campground's restrooms, or water spigots, and carry out all our trash. But unfortunately, the majority of people are not so disciplined. Proven by the fact that many people can't even adhere to regular park rules, like keeping dogs on leashes and picking up pet waste, respecting quiet hours, etc. So between the idiots, and the requirements that campgrounds MUST comply with, we're just out of luck.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #16

[QUOTE=Reverse_snowbird;2302006]
The science has now said that this virus can be transmitted through the air without someone actually coughing or sneezing on you. I trust the scientists, not the media.

This is exactly what I am talking about. What scientists? I am not trying to be difficult, I would just like people to be informed. First, the test used for the virus is the RT PCR test. This was created a while back by an American biochemist named Kary B. Mullis. In an interview years ago, he stated that this test should not be used for infectious diseases. This test actually tests exosomes which we all have in our bodies. Second, this virus has never been isolated. According to the Koch postulates, there are four things that need to be done to identify the relationship between a microbe and a disease that it causes. This has not been done! Why not? So what we have are skewed death numbers because people are obviously testing positive and their cause of death is being associated to Covid-19 when it is actually death by other causes. This is getting pretty messy so please research everything you hear and don't just believe something because it says "science now says". Good luck and God bless.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Second, this virus has never been isolated
Seriously?

Who would you take as an authority on this subject?

I'm just a poor non medical person who is looking at the death count mount and the CDC issuing advisory's. They aren't counting people yet who died in their homes from this 'alleged virus'. Coroners in many places don't even have tests to see if people died from this.

I would love to go camping, but I think our governor took the correct action to protect lives.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Seriously?

Who would you take as an authority on this subject?

I'm just a poor non medical person who is looking at the death count mount and the CDC issuing advisory's. They aren't counting people yet who died in their homes from this 'alleged virus'. Coroners in many places don't even have tests to see if people died from this.

I would love to go camping, but I think our governor took the correct action to protect lives.

How about any biochemist that isolates microbes for this particular purpose? They don't have tests because they don't know what they are looking for. Like I stated earlier, the death count that you are looking for is skewed because, if you did not die in a car accident, gun shot, or similar, it is counted as death by COVID-19. At the end of the year you will see that death by lung disease, diabetes, heart failure, and others will have gone way down because they are saying that these deaths were all associated with the virus. The World Health Organization (WHO) posted it's new guidelines for determining official deaths from COVID-19 which do not require cases be positively confirmed through virus testing, but only that it is 'suspected' to be a cause of death. Lots of people die everyday. If they start classifying everyone that dies as dying due to the virus under suspicion, the numbers will continue to climb and we will be under these lock downs for a long time!
Old 04-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #19

Conversely I wonder how many deaths should be attributed to Covid-19 that occurred before we knew/acknowledge it was in the US? I suspect it has been around longer than many realize.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #20

Quote:
How about any biochemist that isolates microbes for this particular purpose?
Respectfully, you did not answer the question. You are married to the doctor and would know better than I who would be a professional you respect.

We're not going to change your mind so I'm done.