Old 05-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #1

Toilet use

Ok. The new flu has made us rethink the way we use our toilet. We have, in the past, only used it to urinate. Otherwise we would use campground toilets, which is where we would now be exposed. As healthy, but somewhat vulnerable seniors, we don’t want to go there. So, are there helpful hints to use the rv toilet in the manner it was meant to be used. We have a 5 year old wildcat 5’er named Max. Are there better chemicals to help breakdown, or tricks for cleaning after each use, or gadgets to help black tank dumping? Or, am I overthinking it and just being a weird old lady.��

sau51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #2

Definitely not weird, but perhaps overthinking this.

Make certain you use chemicals made for rv toilets.
Then follow recommendations to use plenty of water if you're going to put solids in the tank and don't drain til it's at least 2/3 full. The key is to dilute those solids.

It's certainly safer then using campground facilities at this time... if they are even open.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

If you use the commercial chemical pouches for black tanks, then add lots of water, use RV safe toilet paper, and remember LOTS of water is your friend with solids flush. We’ve not had any issues to date.

Nothing but what’s listed above or through you into the tank and you’ll be fine.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
and only sometimes pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
Site Team

You can forget breaking down waste as unlike a home septic the contents will not be there long enough. Use plenty of water and your favorite Rv toilet chemical. I like Happy Camper. I do not like formaldehyde based products as they are band for campground septic systems. Before you go to empty make sure the tank is about 3/4 full. What you are looking for is a good woosh when you open the drain valve. After dumping do a long flush with fresh water and add more toilet chemical. Your black tank will never be spotless or sterile. You simply need to prevent odors .

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
Site Team

Personally, I don't understand the resistance to using the toilet any differently than I would at home. I know that many don't want to deal with #2.
But having worked in hospitals and as a firefighter/EMT, I never had any problems with it. It was a common thing, as part of the job. Many of us would rather deal with poo, than vomit.
Everyone has the rignt to their opinions, on either side of the subject.
I've always used tank additives, which there are tons of choices. Never had any problems, so I don't see why dealing with a black tank with urine and poo, is much different than one with just urine.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
If you use the commercial chemical pouches for black tanks, th3nbaddvsomevwatef, use RV safe toilet paper, and remember LOTS of water is your friend. We’ve not had any issues to date.

Nothing but what’s listed above or through you into the tank and you’ll be fine.
Sorry... what is the word in red above?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 40; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sau51 View Post
Ok. The new flu has made us rethink the way we use our toilet. We have, in the past, only used it to urinate. Otherwise we would use campground toilets, which is where we would now be exposed. As healthy, but somewhat vulnerable seniors, we don’t want to go there. So, are there helpful hints to use the rv toilet in the manner it was meant to be used. We have a 5 year old wildcat 5’er named Max. Are there better chemicals to help breakdown, or tricks for cleaning after each use, or gadgets to help black tank dumping? Or, am I overthinking it and just being a weird old lady.��
If you have a sewer hook up at camp, only dump the black tank every couple of days to avoid the dreaded poop volcano" MOUNTAIN"building in the tank floor. Waste needs to float to exit.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #8
WFD

You may already know this since you are not new to RV's, but you don't need RV specific toilet paper. It's a fair bit more expensive and not really any better. Just doa search on Toilet Paper in the forum here and there has been a ton of threads on the topic. Most people in here use what they use in their house. As others have said don't scrimp on the water and only dump when close to full. Use the black tank flush if your unit is equipped with it after dumping. Honestly....I find the grey tank from the galley or kitchen sink to often be more offensive than the black.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #9

Everyone says ‘use plenty of water’. What that means if you need to do a doo then fill the toilet tank with plenty of water before you go. Press the dump lever partially down to fill the bowl without dumping. Fill half full, at least.

First it will allow the doo to flush into the tank. If the tanks is to dry the solids may not drop into tank and stick to the bowl. Second it will make sure you build up plenty of water in your black tank so you don’t build a solid pyramid.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
If you have a sewer hook up at camp, only dump the black tank every couple of days to avoid the dreaded poop volcano" MOUNTAIN"building in the tank floor. Waste needs to float to exit.
The advice of every couple days is vague. I have a family of 5 and every couple days is right for us. For just two people, it might take a week or more to get to the right point. As others have said be sure its 2/3 to 3/4 full or more before emptying it.

If you are also driving, be sure to have a few gallons in the tank to slosh around. That's more important than chemicals in my opinion.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #11

I don't like the "special" chemicals. I'm happy using a cap full of liquid Calgon and same amount of Dawn. If I can't get Calgon, 1/3 cup of Borax soap is just as effective. Borax can also be used as an insect deterrent.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:38 PM   #12
Herschel

OK, this piece of advice will be embarrassing to relate. Just remember that modern discharge hoses have a cap at the discharge end and most campgrounds require the use of aptly but sadly named "donut" to which you screw the discharge end. Some years ago as I transitioned from the old "throw the blue hose down the hole" system to the "donut" method, I forgot to take off the discharge end cap before I pulled the lever on the black tank. Quickly, I realized that I now had a hose full of effluent, and I still had to get the cap off. I couldn't remember if it was a twist off cap or a line up the teeth type cap. All efforts to get the cap off in the close vicinity of the sewer hole was unsuccessful. Finally, I remembered that if I got the end of the hose above the tank the effluent in the hose would stay at the tank level, so i raised the end of the hose/tube as high as I could. This gave me some space with which to work and let me see the cap. I was able to successfully get the cap off, but then the discharge end of the hose/tube was four feet in the air above the sewer hole. And it was heavy because it was mostly full of effluent! Drawing on very old baseball skills, I lined up my best pitch in my mind's eye and threw a fastball with the end of the discharge hose/tube toward the sewer hole. Thank goodness it was a strike! Got a little messy, but washed myself and the surrounding terrain, finished the grey water tank emptying, put away the hose/tube, and meekly approached the driver's door of our pickup where my wife was patiently waiting. I looked at her rather sheepishly and asked, "Do you want to know what happened out there?" Upon which she summoned her great love for me and said quietly, "No dear, that isn't necessary". Love that woman!
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:00 PM   #13

Ditto on the Happy Camper unscented and RV toilet paper.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:49 AM   #14

We have forever been using our RV toilet for everything to avoid public whenever possible. We've never had a problem. So Covid hasn't really changed our MO.

I'm not even sure if we always add anything to the tank besides extra water, but when we do, it's usually just slippery laundry soap and softener to aid self-rinse. One or two gallons of clean water added sometime before the next trip is plenty to pre-wet and yet prevent inadvertent loss of future trip holding capacity.

I'm not sure about my spouse concerning #2, but I usually follow the advice of a buddy. He explained to me that he "mails" the waste by first lining the empty bowl with a criss-cross of toilet paper. This achieves two things. It usually saves having most bowl streaks and provides a paper "pouch" to help prevent sticky raw solids from pasting to the tank floor upon impact (the start of a pyramid that may encourage even more clumping). We use ordinary Walmart TP that dissolves easily. Solids should be left loose, entirely floating in liquid after the deed. An RV toilet should never be used dry of course.

Finally, before fully opening the "trap" during a flush, it greatly pays to instruct all users to nearly fill the rest of the bowl with a lot of water first, by only depressing the flush pedal to half-on where no water leaks away yet while the bowl continues to fill. When correctly full, the bowl almost sounds like the toilet at home when it whooshes on full pedal application. This keeps the rubber trap seal clean.

In the case of any insistent remaining streaks, mine or not, I always wipe these areas of bowl by hand with TP afterwards, since very little bowl water generally remains to dissolve any solids which may tend to dry on otherwise. By design, too much bowl water will slop out otherwise when the RV moves.

It's also true, a fuller black tank is more likely to empty more thoroughly, so it pays to add water before the dump station if it will fit. I usually dump alone since my DW heads for home with her car when we break camp. Mindful of the line behind me, I usually don't spend extra time at the dump power-flushing, unless I believe the hose-whoosh to be seriously sluggish. But after I pull ahead for the next guy to dump, I sometimes stop and add a couple of bowls of water before the trip home to keep the tank perpetually wet and self-rinsing. Too dry is always the enemy.

Wes
Old 05-25-2020, 05:15 AM   #15
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Personally, I don't understand the resistance to using the toilet any differently than I would at home. I know that many don't want to deal with #2.
But having worked in hospitals and as a firefighter/EMT, I never had any problems with it. It was a common thing, as part of the job. Many of us would rather deal with poo, than vomit.
Everyone has the rignt to their opinions, on either side of the subject.
I've always used tank additives, which there are tons of choices. Never had any problems, so I don't see why dealing with a black tank with urine and poo, is much different than one with just urine.

Well said. Subject covered extremely well - and my thoughts EXACTLY.

I'd much rather sit on a toilet seat only shared by my wife and I than any public toilet seat.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 5 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Everyone says ‘use plenty of water’. What that means if you need to do a doo then fill the toilet tank with plenty of water before you go. Press the dump lever partially down to fill the bowl without dumping. Fill half full, at least.

First it will allow the doo to flush into the tank. If the tanks is to dry the solids may not drop into tank and stick to the bowl. Second it will make sure you build up plenty of water in your black tank so you don’t build a solid pyramid.
Also, we use a 10-second flush with every use to make sure plenty of water is down there. Still, our 35-gal tank lasts two of us 7 days.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:42 AM   #17

We use RV Digest It in our toilet and have Happy Camper which we haven't tried as of yet because we got it in the off camping season. A cap full of cheap laundry liquid detergent and a cap of Calgon water softener. There's usually just my wife and I. For solids we fill the toilet about 3/4 full with water before using the toilet. If we are boondocking then we save the liquid until the toilet is just about full before flushing. We can last about 11 days before dumping that way. I have had the dreaded pile twice in our early days of trailering, so as has been said water is your friend. If there is just the 2 of you then I would recommend not dumping every couple of days. Wait until the black tank starts to burp(Forms a bubble when you flush). That tells you that you are getting close to dumping the black tank because it's getting near the full mark. My youngest son turns 45 today so that means we been using a trailer for the last 42 years, so there's a wee bit of experience behind us. You can travel with your black tank partially full between campgrounds, if that's what you do. There's some good advice on these pages. Good luck and have fun.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:56 AM   #18

No chemicals. No smell. No problem...

We go poo in the toilet with a nice flush afterwards.
We dump the tank when it is 3/4 full.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #19

This comes up so often that a "U-Tube" Video needs to be made! Youroo!!
Old 05-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #20

Yep plenty of water and always prep tank for next trip with 3-5 gallons of water and happy camper for the ride home, the ride will provide a washing machine action and help clean tank and maybe even the sensors will work....

Frank & Cindy---S Class Solitude 2930RL (SOB)---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 14 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote