Old 05-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #1

Trouble getting refunds from canceled reservations?

We had a month long trip planed to Virginia this month (May). Three weeks ago, we got a call from our first campground in Virginia and told they had to cancel or postpone the reservation because of Covid 19 and the state order. We told them to cancel. The graduations we were going there to see also got cancelled. So, we called the other campground in Virginia to cancel that also. They understood way. We called the campground in Ohio on the way home and they refused to refund us because it happens to be over the Memorial day weekend. We have not gotten refunds from any of them. They are all private campgrounds. Is anybody else having this problem?

RRSnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #2

Yes, I had reservations in Kentucky at a small private campground in June. The place we were going to see probably won't be open by then. My cancellation policy at the time my reservation was paid in full was "at least 2 week notice you got a refund". So I cancel 4 weeks out and they inform me they changed their cancellation policy as of March 1st to state no refunds, just an indefinite "on-hold credit".
My guess, they've already spent the money, and have nothing to give back. Doesn't make it right, and I'm not sure in my case if it would even be legal, but who am I to spend $500 to get $120 back. In your case I can see how the multiple places would add up quickly, making a hurtful dent in the pocket.
If I were wealthy I would probably just say keep the money, it seems you need it, but I'm not wealthy. There credit may or may not be good in the future. They only reserve it by your name. If they go under or sell the campground, all those with credit are probably just out that money.
Sorry about the rant, your question just provided me a tee for me to go off a bit. I'm not a big fan of people using a situation to try and justify keeping other people's money.
Griff02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led