Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #1

Washington & Oregon parks still closed

Oregon State Parks were scheduled to re-open May 8th but it was announced yesterday that the closure is being extended thru Memorial Day weekend. All state parks are closed to all use (day use and camping) until May 25, at which time the situation will be re-evaluated.

Washington State Parks remain closed for camping but day use will be allowed beginning May 5th. Park system is asking that day use visitors continue "safe distancing" and bring their own soap and hand sanitizer.

https://www.koin.com/news/health/cor...-memorial-day/
Old 04-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #2

Gonna be close. We have a reservation here in Southern Oregon starting on the 25th. Guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #3

Oregon State Parks closed for camping now through June 5. HOWEVER, county parks are opening as of yesterday (5/11) for camping! We have a county park about 20 miles away that we are going to try to snag a walk-up spot (85 reserved spaces, and 13 walk-up only spots) this Friday! They are water/electric hook-ups. And we actually snagged reservations for another county park for the weekend after Memorial Day (dry camping). I can't wait!

Personally, I think it is INSANE to keep the state parks closed for camping, especially when the state desperately needs income. But, they will just make up for it by doubling our taxes next year.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:29 PM   #4

We all know that if the Oregon State parks were to open that every Californian that could find their way would be on the road.��������
Old 05-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #5

Where does it say they're closed till June 5th?
Old 05-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post

From Oregon State Parks website:
We have made the difficult decision to keep the park system closed to camping at least through and including June 8.

See the 5/12/2020 update here:
https://oregonstateparks.org/index.c...&articleId=272

We have a reservation for the following weekend. All of our trips have been cancelled so far. Holding my breath on the June trip.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Actually, I was mistaken. Oregon State Parks are "closed to camping at least through and including June 8." Also, "Camping is closed until and through June 8, 2020 at least. This doesn't mean we are open for camping on June 9. It means we haven't made a decision yet, and that decision will come before June 9."

That is from their website oregonstateparks.org
Old 05-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #8

Ended up snagging spot A11 at Riverbend County Park (Linn County). Setting up, I discovered that my little level normally in my trailer tool bag was MIA. So, I had to use the rolling beer can method to level the trailer. During this whole COVID-19....ummm....stuff....I can't help but thinking that camping is the most healthy thing that anyone could do. Yet the darn government is insisting on keeping state parks closed for camping. It just does not make any sense at all. They are losing hundreds of thousands of $$$ in revenue and keeping people from doing an activity that is about the healthiest thing they could do for themselves.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:16 AM   #9

Congrats on finding a spot. Happy camping.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:39 AM   #10

Just have to wonder how long the people will put up with this . it's coming to a breaking point and soon an explosion of we are going and you are opening like it or not . after all all the state and national camp grounds are owned by the people , supported by the people and paid for by the people .
Old 05-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Just have to wonder how long the people will put up with this . it's coming to a breaking point and soon an explosion of we are going and you are opening like it or not . after all all the state and national camp grounds are owned by the people , supported by the people and paid for by the people .
So you're going to take some bolt cutters and cut your way into a locked gated campground?
Old 05-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I completely agree. And there is one thing that all of the poiliticians have in common who are closing businesses, keeping people away from work, and prohibiting them from earning a living to feed their families and pay their rent with: every single one of those politicians is still collecting their taxpayer funded paychecks every month. Yet they claim, "They know this is a hardship for some people." Know, they don't. There was a write up in a local newspaper here about the Albany, Oregon City Manager who voluntarily took a 10% pay cut in order to ease the budget burden on the city. What a sacrifice! He cut his own salary from $13,942 per month down to a measly $12,548 per month. And public people like that claim they know the hardship the hairdresser is facing who was making $15/hr to begin with now has no income at all - including no unemployment because the state's unemployment system is broken and their claims can't get processed.

You want to help ease the budget crises that states are facing because of this public health emergency? Then stop paying all the legislators, governors, and other politicians who are prohibiting people from feeding their families and paying their rent.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I completely agree. And there is one thing that all of the poiliticians have in common who are closing businesses, keeping people away from work, and prohibiting them from earning a living to feed their families and pay their rent with: every single one of those politicians is still collecting their taxpayer funded paychecks every month. Yet they claim, "They know this is a hardship for some people." Know, they don't. There was a write up in a local newspaper here about the Albany, Oregon City Manager who voluntarily took a 10% pay cut in order to ease the budget burden on the city. What a sacrifice! He cut his own salary from $13,942 per month down to a measly $12,548 per month. And public people like that claim they know the hardship the hairdresser is facing who was making $15/hr to begin with now has no income at all - including no unemployment because the state's unemployment system is broken and their claims can't get processed.

You want to help ease the budget crises that states are facing because of this public health emergency? Then stop paying all the legislators, governors, and other politicians who are prohibiting people from feeding their families and paying their rent.
Have you had the Covid yet?
Old 05-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Don`t know. Many people have had the virus with very little symptoms at all. I could have very easily have been infected. Quite a few people where I work had pretty strange illnesses back in January and February like they have never had before. They think more likely than not they had the virus. My boss was sick with respiratory symptoms back then for over a month.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Don`t know. Many people have had the virus with very little symptoms at all. I could have very easily have been infected. Quite a few people where I work had pretty strange illnesses back in January and February like they have never had before. They think more likely than not they had the virus. My boss was sick with respiratory symptoms back then for over a month.
I had something weird starting Feb 28th. I've had the regular flu many times in my life and never had anything quite like what I got at the end of Feb. Lasted 2 months before I felt mostly normal. Weirdest part was the lung issue. No shortness of breath but a burning sensation for a couple weeks. During the 1st month I could only do about 2-3 hrs of easy jobs around the house before I'd be exhausted. Then the next day I'd be really tired. Basically on and off every other day.
I have no idea what it was but usually when I get the flu I'm only down for 1-2 days then either or both coughing up snot or a dry cough for 3 weeks.
I'm 67 but in good shape. Before I got sick I went to the gym 4-5 days a week. DW and I ride mtn bikes, hike, golf, etc. I'm not easily dropped on my rear by the flu stuff.

Antibody testing would go a long ways towards easing the anxiety of getting out in the world. Even with things opening up some in Oregon many people still don't want to take a chance and be the 'One' that ends up in the hospital.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Setting up, I discovered that my little level normally in my trailer tool bag was MIA. So, I had to use the rolling beer can method to level the trailer.
There's an app for that.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Old 05-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Ended up snagging spot A11 at Riverbend County Park (Linn County). Setting up, I discovered that my little level normally in my trailer tool bag was MIA. So, I had to use the rolling beer can method to level the trailer. During this whole COVID-19....ummm....stuff....I can't help but thinking that camping is the most healthy thing that anyone could do. Yet the darn government is insisting on keeping state parks closed for camping. It just does not make any sense at all. They are losing hundreds of thousands of $$$ in revenue and keeping people from doing an activity that is about the healthiest thing they could do for themselves.
I'm equally puzzled. Makes no sense to close parks for camping yet open them up for day use where people get nice and cozy around a picnic table or group up at scenic areas, etc.

The SMART move would be to open the parks to camping but only to units that are self contained. This would negate the need for park facilities like restrooms/showers and require all garbage be removed and disposed of at home. Kind of like how we boondock.

At first I understood the reasoning behind closing parks and public lands because the intent was to keep people from traveling. Now though, since parks are open for day use, it makes no sense and perhaps the "authorities" have it all bassakwards

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 05-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #18

Quote:
So you're going to take some bolt cutters and cut your way into a locked gated campground?
That's what you got from my post ? WOW . it's very clear the people have to stand together and demand these public owned parks and camp ground be opened . not everybody cowards to government . Of the people by the people and for the people . but you stay home and locked up you'll be safer there .
Old 05-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I'm equally puzzled. Makes no sense to close parks for camping yet open them up for day use where people get nice and cozy around a picnic table or group up at scenic areas, etc.

The SMART move would be to open the parks to camping but only to units that are self contained. This would negate the need for park facilities like restrooms/showers and require all garbage be removed and disposed of at home. Kind of like how we boondock.

At first I understood the reasoning behind closing parks and public lands because the intent was to keep people from traveling. Now though, since parks are open for day use, it makes no sense and perhaps the "authorities" have it all bassakwards
Traveling never stopped . it was and is a bone head move with no thought behind it what so ever . covid is a fairly mild virus with over 99% recovery . hey can't let a good crisis go to waste can they
Old 05-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #20

Quote:
No but 99% of those that have are up walking around and more that never were diagnosed . many that had such mild symptoms they didn't know they had it . also the number of deaths is over estimated since may added to the list were on the death beds to begin with.
Closed Thread

Tags
washington