Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #1

What are full timers doing during Covid 19

We are full timers and are currently in Texas. We were scheduled to leave May 1st for New Hampshire with a brief stop in North Carolina. Not sure if that plan is still viable. We will just take it day by day and change plans as needed.

We are in a small RV park with well spaced sites and the owner said we can stay as long as needed. They currently have about a dozen empty sites out of around 70 total with many full time sites occupied. The owner is not allowing any more new guests but is allowing people with previous reservations to come in.

We have no urgent reasons to be back in NH but would like to be near family and friends. We have a seasonal reservation at a private campground in NH but have not heard if they plan to open. I'm betting they will open if aloud because that is their main income source.

I was just wondering what other full timers are doing and how you are coping with the problem of travel and reservations. Have you had to change any of your plans or are you changing your plans out of caution.

We will have to see how things develop over the next 30 days.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #2

Can't stay in Virginia. Minimum 14 day stay. Other states may follow. We are in the same boat. In Southern Alabama. Safer here then home or going through 8 states to get there.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #3

You know if it was me I would stay at the present location.
Travelling you must make contact with others and as they talk about is the issue in spreading the virus.
Find a campground that you like and stay put.
My best guess in what I have heard is that we won't see any control or reduction for another month and a half.
Wish you the best.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #4

From what I've read, many full time rvers would like to be in your position of having a site for as long as needed. Many full time rvers have been asked to leave their sites.

You really don't want to be on the road right now. Stay at home in your site.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #5

Being "near" family and friends is verbotten at this time. Free country, but I'd not move one inch till I knew 100% it was A) safe to do so and B) I wouldn't get stuck or arrested in some state that is anal about lockdowns.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
You know if it was me I would stay at the present location.
Travelling you must make contact with others and as they talk about is the issue in spreading the virus.
Find a campground that you like and stay put.
My best guess in what I have heard is that we won't see any control or reduction for another month and a half.
Wish you the best.
If then. As more data is gathered the projections become more accurate and more alarming.

We can all hope that restrictions are lifted soon but "Hope is not a good plan".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #7

I thank you all for your comments. I started this thread mainly to find out how other people are coping and share information. As mentioned above we are in a very good place here in Texas and we don't intend to travel until it is deemed safe and practical to do so.
This forum, as are many others, are an invaluable service. Lets keep sharing ideas and information to help each other through this difficult time.
God bless and stay safe and healthy.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Can't stay in Virginia. Minimum 14 day stay. Other states may follow. We are in the same boat. In Southern Alabama. Safer here then home or going through 8 states to get there.
In Virginia actually that is not true. It depends on the campground and the area..

There is a lot of Misinformation out there.

Campgrounds are allowed open for 1 or two night stays just call ahead.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
Professional Texan

Just for information, Most Texas State Parks are open to campers. Many have full hookups. The offices are closed and park events canceled. To get a site you need to make reservations online so you can pay with a credit card.

https://texasstateparks.reserveameri...055.1567292842

There may be a limit to the number of days you can stay. That is nothing new.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
In Virginia actually that is not true. It depends on the campground and the area..

There is a lot of Misinformation out there.

Campgrounds are allowed open for 1 or two night stays just call ahead.
Actually, no ... in accordance with the Governor's order.

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/ne...855702-en.html

"4. Effective April 1, 2020 at 11:59 p.m., cessation of all reservations for overnight stays of less than 14 nights at all privately-owned campgrounds, as defined in §35.1-1 of the Code of Virginia."
Rover Podder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #11

Arkansas just closed campgrounds and our next three weeks are gone. Don't have a house. Looks like we are gonna have to head north to Northern IL and driveway surf. Seems silly to head to a hotspot but DW is pretty anxious and full-timing is a two person deal. Gonna be long drives and KOA's I guess. Living the dream.....
Old 04-01-2020, 11:17 PM   #12

Stuck in Denver

We have been here in the Denver area for over a year now. I was on a job for 12 months which ended in Feb. The wife had major back surgery 3 weeks ago so we can't travel anyhow. We are lucky to be in a big private park where we can stay indefinitely. We want to go home to Minnesota at the end of the month if possible, but who knows what travel restrictions will be in place. I wonder if AAA or Good Sam would be a good resource for current travel restrictions ?
litewave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:48 PM   #13

New Jersey Governor has declared all campgrounds closed. Even though we are stationary, We're not allow to come into the campground(2 vacation home). This really stinks..
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:48 PM   #14

Its rather surreal. In Jan we had plans. We had RV Parky all routed for the upcoming 2020 year!

That is pretty much 'poof'.

We are planted in Texas until further notice. Probably till next year. I hear they are requiring anyone leaving Louisiana going into Texas to be quarantined 14 days.

Texas State Parks are still open. There are a LOT of state parks in Texas!

When the hurricanes come, we will head "deeper" into Texas. Saw a report that the gulf is unusually hot and will probably affect hurricane formation in the wrong direction.

Now, looking back, I'm glad we cancelled all our journey early.

My opinion, hunker down. Ask if you can extend where you are at. Tell them you can't go home right now due to age or some other reason (most of us got some sort of underlying condition, lol) . They will extend you. You may have to go monthly.

There's no park owner out there that would not understand that.

Going to need new emojis on this forum. lol!!

banned:

banned:

banned:

banned:

banned:

not happening:

nope:

NOT YET BANNED:

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:32 AM   #15
Site Team

We're not fulltimers but we've been on the road, since February 18th, before things went off the rails.
We decided to stay longer in Arizona, since things are less crazy here, than at home in Washington State.
So far we've been able to find private parks and campgrounds to stay at. But our last place will be on the Arizona/California border. Then we're going to head as fast as we can for home. Hoping we can find places to stop and sleep, along I5.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:39 AM   #16

My brother is a full timer. He is currently in an RV Park south of Tampa and not planning on moving as long as they keep the park open.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:46 AM   #17
dgibbs1955

We are currently at home in DFW area. Was planning on heading up to Nebraska in May to our new lot. Waiting on the schools to decide if and when they will close shop for the year. DW is a teacher and this online stuff is crap. Waiting for TEA to help him make a decision.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:54 AM   #18
RV Enthusiast

My wife is a Tx teacher and taught me better vocabulary.

Schools will likely be closed for the rest of the semester according to local school boards.

Eviction proceedings are suspended in all but the most egregious cases. Don’t know how campgrounds (public or private) will be affected by the non-eviction ruling by Gov. Abbot, but probably a very good case campers cannot be evicted from pvt campgrounds.
FoggHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:11 AM   #19

full timers

I follow the full time issue on FaceBook, which is full of loonies, I know, but also is a good way to check the pulse of certain or particular groups.
Apparently many full-timers are fleeing from one place to another, rather than sitting tight in one spot. They are also feeling the pinch of limited resources of the rural or remote sites they are living in, since those nearby small communities do not have the ability to support their own population plus several hundreds of RV'rs.
Limited storage not only for food, water and fuel, but for waste, also impacts full-timers. Those who rely on shore power cannot reliably boondock, since the increase in generator fuel is prohibitive. Maintenance of your generator calls for frequent oil and filter changes. Can you do it yourself?
RV's with full Solar capability are a very small fraction of our group. Many of those also still need to manage that black water tanks, and haven't figured out enough field sanitation to avoid health issues resulting from inadequate outdoor facilities.
Finally, the BLM and Forest Service are issuing notices about closing areas, or refusing to accept new people to over populated areas. Forest Service closed everything in certain forests that is considered "Developed" then in the same letter defined "Developed" as including roads and trails. You can't even WALK in to fish a lake for food.
Federal short-sidedness is overlooking the very real need of the large group of full timers.
State and local authority don't want YOU in their neighborhood using scarce resources.
They all threaten arrest, and impoundment, yet are letting thousands of criminals loose from jails.
Stay put if you can.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #20

We've been full time for three years: We were headed to a "reserved" months in advance marina in the Florida Keys, on our boat, when they closed them to non-residents. We're currently "marooned" at Marco Island FL for 30 days but cannot safely stay here for the duration. Marinas are not taking transients and fuel docks are closed. We must haul out for hurricane season, get our RV out of storage in northern FL and go somewhere. No idea how we will do it, as the rules change daily.
lhuff35204 is offline   Reply With Quote