Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2023, 02:02 PM   #1

Constant popping from under while moving around...

Usually get popping sounds from underneath my fifth wheel and after moving about in it they go away. Since yesterday it has gotten worse and the popping will not go away. Worst it has been in the 3 months I have had it. It has been parked since new. It is a new 2022 FR Ahara 41ft.
coop44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:49 PM   #2

If you have hydraulic jacks, you are more than likely experiencing popping due to what is termed "stiction" in each leveling cylinder. Bunches of us have experienced it at one point or another. Here's a PDF dealing with how to go about curing the popping. I used the Torco fluid, but they all work.
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0002091.pdf
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:54 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

So you are saying your 5th wheel has been set up somewhere for 3 months and you are staying in it?

What kind of leveling system do you have? Hydraulic or electric?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:38 PM   #4

Lippert Leveling system auto leveling hydraulic...rig is stationary.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:23 AM   #5

Was wondering if I could add the fluid and then just cycle the auto-leveling a bunch of times without lifting the whole rig off the ground as I don't have a truck to do so?
Old 02-09-2023, 10:46 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop44 View Post
Was wondering if I could add the fluid and then just cycle the auto-leveling a bunch of times without lifting the whole rig off the ground as I don't have a truck to do so?
You could. You'll need to first remove as much oil from the reservoir before adding the additive that you plan to put in.

I do have to question your statement of "constant popping."
Most of the hydraulic popping noises due to needing additive are not constant.
It might pop once or twice a day or maybe not at all some days and typically not continually initiated from simply walking around.

Noises are hard for forum members to help diagnose as we are not there to hear it. Floor sub-structure can cause popping noises as can floor coverings and our slides will pop every now and then when we stand on an edge.

My point is you may need to do some further diagnosing as to where the noise emanates from, especially if it is as constant as you describe and won't go away. (your words)

Old 02-09-2023, 12:49 PM   #7

The hydraulic reservoir is a little above half full.....but that is from one of the jacks were leaking. Tech tightened bottom bolts last week.....still dry. Will top off tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:49 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
The hydraulic reservoir is a little above half full.....but that is from one of the jacks were leaking. Tech tightened bottom bolts last week.....still dry. Will top off tomorrow.
You cannot check fill level if any any jacks are down or slides are out. (assuming you have hydraulic slides too)
The fill level is with EVERYTHING retracted.

If you put fluid in with something extended and then retract it/them, it will overfill the reservoir and make a BIG mess!

Old 02-09-2023, 03:03 PM   #9

wow, ok....thanks! neighbor who rv's did not mention that!
Old 02-11-2023, 11:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You cannot check fill level if any any jacks are down or slides are out. (assuming you have hydraulic slides too)
The fill level is with EVERYTHING retracted.

If you put fluid in with something extended and then retract it/them, it will overfill the reservoir and make a BIG mess!
x2

Don't ask me how I know

Do add an additive recommended in the .pdf list in dieselguy post, but remove an equivalent amount of oil first before doing so.

Be safe -

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:14 PM   #11

Hard to tell exactly where noise is from ...kind of everywhere! Going to run the slides in and out a few times. This morning it was ridiculous! Every where you walked, it popped. Raised up one side....one click. It got much better during the day but starting doing it again about 7pm tonight. When I go outside and push on the rig, I hear it.....wherever I push! Have to have someone under it when I push.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Hard to tell exactly where noise is from ...kind of everywhere! Going to run the slides in and out a few times. This morning it was ridiculous! Every where you walked, it popped. Raised up one side....one click. It got much better during the day but starting doing it again about 7pm tonight. When I go outside and push on the rig, I hear it.....wherever I push! Have to have someone under it when I push.
Not sure what ‘one click’ means but I would try this…leave the landing gear where they are but lift the other 4 feet off the ground. See if your pops go away or are different/

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:02 PM   #13

Yep, this issue is documented all over this forum. The solution is to remove a quart of oil from the hydraulic reservoir and add an anti-stiction fluid or fork oil. The PDF linked elsewhere in this thread gives you the steps to completing this.

I had the same issue and it was driving me insane. It would sometimes be louder than others, sometimes wouldn't happen at all! I noticed it occurred more when the temperatures had large fluctuations between day and night.

I added a quart of fork oil and for the first few days, the popping sound completely went away as I was walking around the RV. It's been about 2 weeks since I added it and the popping sound has returned, albeit a LOT LESS than what it previously was. I don't think I cycled the jacks up and down enough to get the fork oil worked into the hydraulic lines, so most likely my fault that they're still popping. I plan to cycle through more this weekend and see if the sound persists.

Thought I'd provide a real-life situation of someone having done this.

Thanks!
FR Steve L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:21 PM   #14

Ok.....Thanks. RV or trailer? If trailer, on ground or lifted?
Old 02-17-2023, 08:06 AM   #15

Popping noise

I also experienced this same issue. The fork oil additive did not solve my popping sound, which was coming from my front landing gear jacks. My popping sound progressed to the point over a six month period that my landing jacks would noticeably drop when I extended the front jacks rendering my RV unusable. My dealer eventually had to replace one of my front landing jacks due to a faulty inner seal allowing hydraulic fluid to bleed past it. If your rig is still under warranty, you may want to involve your dealer to document the problem. Good luck.

I tried to attach an image of the front jack but not sure if it will work.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack cut away.png
Views:	1416
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	284000