Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 05:16 AM   #1

Dealership

Anyone else have an issue going to a different dealership for warranty repairs?
As I have stated before, we purchased our 2850KRL from Royal RV in Middlebury, IN.
Top notch dealer all the way. We live in Toledo, OH and the local dealer told me they would not perform the warranty work since we did not purchase the unit from them.
In my eyes that is BS. If you want to be a dealer then you're a dealer for everyone.
No different than car dealerships. I apologize in advance for the venting.
Kjnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:55 AM   #2

not servicing units that they don't sell is common in the RV industry, warranty or not. If they do service it, you are often low priority. they are no way like a car dealership.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjnick View Post
Anyone else have an issue going to a different dealership for warranty repairs?

As I have stated before, we purchased our 2850KRL from Royal RV in Middlebury, IN.

Top notch dealer all the way. We live in Toledo, OH and the local dealer told me they would not perform the warranty work since we did not purchase the unit from them.

In my eyes that is BS. If you want to be a dealer then you're a dealer for everyone.

No different than car dealerships. I apologize in advance for the venting.
You must be new to the RV world.
This has been a common practice for at least 20 years and is well documented. In fact, that's why RV manufacturers put disclaimers about buying local, in their brochures and websites.
I bought my first new trailer from a Chicago dealer 2000 miles away. FR found me 3 local dealers willing to do the warranty work. But that was 15 years ago.
And it IS very different from car dealerships. The only things that RV manufacturers and Auto manufacturers have in common, is that they both sell things on wheels at dealerships. Other than that, they couldn't be more different.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:58 AM   #4

Yes sir we are new. That's the reason I apologized in advance for the venting.
Even though this is the norm, it just doesn't seem right.
Fortunately for us the dealer we purchased from in only about 2 1/2 hours away.
Slightly inconvenient but worth the trip as they are terrific.
Again sorry for the venting.
Kjnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #5

Check with your brand as they may approve a mobile tech for work, just not sure if they will cover the cost of them coming to you, at least the service fee might be less then the fuel cost there and back. You never know until you ask. Good luck and keep us posted
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjnick View Post
Yes sir we are new. That's the reason I apologized in advance for the venting.
Even though this is the norm, it just doesn't seem right.
Fortunately for us the dealer we purchased from in only about 2 1/2 hours away.
Slightly inconvenient but worth the trip as they are terrific.
Again sorry for the venting.
That's alright, it is shocking for many that are unaware, about how the RV Industry operates. If they don't read RV forums, they naturally assume it works like the Auto Industry.
I was fortunate to stumble on various RV forums when I was researching buying our first new RV, back in 2004. Luckily I quickly realized that what I was getting into, would require me to do much more research and education before I plunked down a bunch of money. Took me 2 years before I felt confident enough to take the plunge. Thank goodness RV forums were there to guide me through how to make an informed purchase and how to avoid the pitfalls.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #7
Always Learning

They're doing you a favor in disguise. I avoid dealers for service at all cost- especially warranty work!*Mobile RV techs and independent repair shops can do warranty work. Contact your manufacturer or extended warranty about what the process is for them to do warranty work. The only one that I’ve heard that doesn’t allow either is Keystone (which is reason enough why I wouldn’t buy one).

Usually you have to get pre-approval and then get reimbursed. They often don’t pay for the mobile tech site visit but that is worth the convenience IMO.

Tags
dealer