Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2022, 04:45 PM   #41

Two things I've read in the past about owning RV's.
"You need to be rich or handy to own one"
"I just bought an RV kit and I'm taking it home to finish building it"

Problem with many people and RV's is they don't know what they don't know.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:46 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
When was the last time you took a TV to the shop to be repaired? Nope just toss it and buy a new one. When was the last time you took a cell phone to the shop to be repaired? Nope, just upgrade to a new one.

Took my iPhone 8 to a locally owned shop to have the battery replaced. Way cheaper than buying a new one.

I repair electronics all the time, of all ages. Bring them to the shop? Sure! That's our basement.

I also wrench on our vehicles, and our TT. So, there are a lot more repairable things out there than most people know. Even the laptop I'm on posting this is about 8 years old. A few upgrades and it runs just fine.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Two things I've read in the past about owning RV's.
"You need to be rich or handy to own one"
"I just bought an RV kit and I'm taking it home to finish building it"

Problem with many people and RV's is they don't know what they don't know.

We did a bunch of research before buying ours. We knew we'd be buying something that would have to be repaired under warranty the first year, so it was at the dealer for a total of probably 4 months, most of that time was after we were done camping for the year. It needed cutting and welding on the outriggers. But, so far, it's been good. I keep up on the other repairs, and have already replaced faulty brake magnets. They didn't seem to last very long.

We also knew that there would constantly be things to fix every year. And the constant sealant touch ups. And of course, washing it often. I'm surprised after the trip we took to PA a week ago, that it survived the PA roads in one piece.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:06 AM   #44
Cpp

Sounds normal..our 2022 couch man by forest river had brake failure, all the brakes failed..dealer blamed the plug and my truck..turned out the cheap wiring they used melted and shorted out. I had to pay a garage to repair/replace the wiring and the dealer “inspected the unit before I picked it up”. Also the hot water heater would not hold water..i had to fix that, kitchen exhaust fan never worked and now there’s a recall for the gas fittings ?? Ya this will be my last rv by forest river ...
Cpap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:26 AM   #45

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A large boat comes to mind.
B.O.A.T

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand
Old 06-10-2022, 09:38 AM   #46

Mostly Junk being sold

I too waited a long time to buy a NEW FR Heritage Glen. PDI went smooth, rushed from point to point but, drove the 4 hours home. Next morning, nightmare. Found very poor fit and finish on drawers and trim, Kitchen slide caused refrigerator doors to hit and chip island counter top, daylight visible under kitchen slide, putty build up over nail holes and water leak kitchen sink. Over all, 27 items. Made trip back to only get royal shuffle, nothing fixed. Contacted FR and was directed to local dealers, who since I didnt buy it there, wont do warranty work. THEN< directed to a company who is working to fix things, but forever getting parts. Each time I go out, find more and more issues with it. Auto level acting up, wont return to hitch height from mini controller. Toilet flush valve leaking, just so many little things. I dont think the factory did a QA on it and I know the dealership didnt. I went to three of the local dealers just to "look around" and all their inventory looks great. While at Giant RV, more inventory came in and noticed a crew going through them. Ask my salesman what was up, he said they look for issues to fix under warranty or fix period before units are put out for sale. He also said some manufacturers make this crew work extra hard.
Bigmikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #47

I bought my 2015 Grey Wolf used, so caveat emptor, yeah? That being said, I'm pretty upset with the lack of quality, too. Lazy design, sub-standard materials.

I looked at many at several dealers before making my purchase. They all told me Forest River is the top manufacturer in the USA. If that's true, the entire RV industry needs an overhaul.

I bought mine at a price point where I knew I could get my money back, so I'm not complaining about the purchase. But VERY UNLIKELY I'll ever purchase anything made by Forest River again.

~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacamper View Post
Longtime campers and have owned both new and used. Bought EW Alta1900MMK August, 2021 after shopping 9 months for the scarce options. So far, we've had more things go wrong than any other camper:

-leak in underneath storage compartment
-loose grab bar next to door
-large window shade for picture window broke
-drawer pull broke
-murphy bed latches didn't hold and bed fell during travel
-facing around slide came totally off (may have been previously loosened when slide got caught on something)
-leak under bathroom sink

This is shoddy workmanship but we aren't surprised these days. Dealership has been fine, but I blame Forest River who could probably care less about its customers after the sale.

Disappointed that we have to deal with this and we have only used it four times.

Robin in Alabama
GabrielleBesnans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:58 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielleBesnans View Post
I bought my 2015 Grey Wolf used, so caveat emptor, yeah? That being said, I'm pretty upset with the lack of quality, too. Lazy design, sub-standard materials.

I looked at many at several dealers before making my purchase. They all told me Forest River is the top manufacturer in the USA. If that's true, the entire RV industry needs an overhaul.

I bought mine at a price point where I knew I could get my money back, so I'm not complaining about the purchase. But VERY UNLIKELY I'll ever purchase anything made by Forest River again.

~~~~
Based on your statement and me knowing the lack of quality in the RV Industry, you might as well right off ever buying another RV.
Lack of quality is an Industry-wide issue, not just Forest River.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:24 PM   #49

The complaints and stories are real. This is a major reason I'm keeping my 2006 Sunseeker 2860DS in great running order. Its built like a brick house - yeah I've replaced aging doodads inside/outside the coach and mechanicals as needed.

Just replaced all the 1" insert trim on all 4 corners as it started to crack a couple of years ago and I got tired of looking at discolored caulk I put on it. Corners are solid as a rock with no rot - dust dirt cleaned up with a toothbrush and lysol.

Here's the driver side cabover before/after and with the metal corner bead exposed. (Cabover needs a wash)

Second to last picture shows both sides with new cabover trim, which runs as a single piece from the rooftop to the bottom.

Last picture shows the cleaned metal base on passenger side rearClick image for larger version

Name:	20220612_115734.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	274985Click image for larger version

Name:	20220612_122433.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	274986Click image for larger version

Name:	20220612_131920.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	274987Click image for larger version

Name:	20220612_142935.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	274988Click image for larger version

Name:	20220612_193241.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	274990Click image for larger version

Name:	20220613_104128.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	274991

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
That’s an interesting thought but consider this. If the dealers spends the time and money to correct factory miscues, it comes out of his pocket. If he doesn’t then the work becomes warranty and the manufacturer pays.

Doesn’t seem like a good system for the manufacturer.
It does not come out of the dealers pocket at all . they get money up front for a PDI then they get to turn in any and all warranty issues and get money from the factory for that and keep their techs working . any dealer that says it comes out of their pocket is lying to you .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote