Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #1

Did we purchase junk?

Longtime campers and have owned both new and used. Bought EW Alta1900MMK August, 2021 after shopping 9 months for the scarce options. So far, we've had more things go wrong than any other camper:

-leak in underneath storage compartment
-loose grab bar next to door
-large window shade for picture window broke
-drawer pull broke
-murphy bed latches didn't hold and bed fell during travel
-facing around slide came totally off (may have been previously loosened when slide got caught on something)
-leak under bathroom sink

This is shoddy workmanship but we aren't surprised these days. Dealership has been fine, but I blame Forest River who could probably care less about its customers after the sale.

Disappointed that we have to deal with this and we have only used it four times.

Robin in Alabama
Alacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:56 PM   #2

I think your experience is pretty average. As sad as that is.

We had tons of stuff wrong with both our brand-new TTs. And I honestly don't think it's just Forest River...or even just the cheaper brands. I think it's probably all of them - maybe if you're dropping over $100k on a TT maybe the people who built it gave a sh*t...but other than that I think standard, accepted practice is that you're just going to have to make a list of everything that's broken on a new trailer and hope you get it all fixed up during the warranty period.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:08 PM   #3

Every defect you note is the dealer's fault. You got one not doing their job. Their job -- and what Forest River pays for -- is to be the last quality check and correction on the assembly line. This is how the "RV" industry has worked for decades and just how it rolls. Same for every manufacturer -- the dealer is a vital cog in the wheel.

-- Chuck
Old 06-04-2022, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Every defect you note is the dealer's fault. You got one not doing their job. Their job -- and what Forest River pays for -- is to be the last quality check and correction on the assembly line. This is how the "RV" industry has worked for decades and just how it rolls. Same for every manufacturer -- the dealer is a vital cog in the wheel.

-- Chuck
Well we sure didn't know that! I've already contact the dealer to ask them to buy it back and they will only take it on consignment. Not acceptable. So how could the dealer have known the Murphy bed would fall en route? I think the latches are flimsy for the weight of the bed and my husband said they are not aligned correctly.

The leaks should have been checked. Not enough caulking. The drawer pulls? Again flimsy.

Found out when large shade broke and we got repaired, that many others had broken.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootings View Post
I think your experience is pretty average. As sad as that is.

We had tons of stuff wrong with both our brand-new TTs. And I honestly don't think it's just Forest River...or even just the cheaper brands. I think it's probably all of them - maybe if you're dropping over $100k on a TT maybe the people who built it gave a sh*t...but other than that I think standard, accepted practice is that you're just going to have to make a list of everything that's broken on a new trailer and hope you get it all fixed up during the warranty period.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that it's not just Forest River but we thought that maybe FR was maybe a step above some of the cheaper brands.

Had two Jaycos over the years back when they were made well and we did not have these shoddy problems. Eventually had some leaks with a 2009 Jay Flight but we used it a lot and were the second owners.

We do camp hosting and I don't trust the (lack of) quality to hold up over long term use. It was a purchase of what was available at the time for the size we wanted.

Will get the repairs done when we return home and eventually sell or trade for a Lance, preferably used. That was what we originally wanted but they are scarce, too.

This camper has a nice floorplan and storage, but it's more of a weekend--use model.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacamper View Post
Well we sure didn't know that! I've already contact the dealer to ask them to buy it back and they will only take it on consignment. Not acceptable. So how could the dealer have known the Murphy bed would fall en route? I think the latches are flimsy for the weight of the bed and my husband said they are not aligned correctly.

The leaks should have been checked. Not enough caulking. The drawer pulls? Again flimsy.

Found out when large shade broke and we got repaired, that many others had broken.

Thanks for the reply.
Quality in the RV Industry has been poor for decades. But since the Covid Camper sales boom, quality has been at a historical low. Unprecedented demand, supply chain issues, factory closures and lack of employees have resulted in many unhappy customers.
This is why many of us seasoned RVers refuse to even consider buying a new RV right now.
That's why a thorough PDI/walk-through is a must. It's the only protection a buyer has right now. But getting warranty work done is a big unknown, due to the previously mentioned issues.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Quality in the RV Industry has been poor for decades. But since the Covid Camper sales boom, quality has been at a historical low. Unprecedented demand, supply chain issues, factory closures and lack of employees have resulted in many unhappy customers.
This is why many of us seasoned RVers refuse to even consider buying a new RV right now.
That's why a thorough PDI/walk-through is a must. It's the only protection a buyer has right now. But getting warranty work done is a big unknown, due to the previously mentioned issues.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
We are seasoned RVers, but having sold our last 2009 JayFlight one would think getting a new one wouldn't take months and months. And we shopped for both new and used and in three states!

We had a thorough walk thru with a very knowledgeable young man.

We needed something for our upcoming camp hosting date so tried this one.

I won't label it a lemon. But because of what you mentioned about supply and covid delays, etc. I would prefer to find something made prior to 2020 or even earlier.

A used airstream.... maybe one made before Thor bought them?
Old 06-04-2022, 07:10 PM   #8

Everyone's excuse is they can't get employees. But then they're offering minimum wages.

-- Chuck
Old 06-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Everyone's excuse is they can't get employees. But then they're offering minimum wages.

-- Chuck
Maybe RVs in the US will end up like autos in Cuba. We'll just keep repairing the old ones worth repairing. Of course we don't want to have the same reason to have to do it!

Call me "old school," it's actually an honor!
Old 06-04-2022, 10:02 PM   #10

In my opinion, formed from a lifetime of using and owning them, is that they are all junk. Every one of them. Doesn't matter what brand or what year or what they cost.
BUT!!! After owning them a year and getting the bugs worked out, all of mine have been fairly bullet proof and we have enjoyed them for the remaining years of ownership.
You just have to get over the hump. This means you will become more skilled in DIY and learn to take it to an independent RV service shop instead of any dealer for things you can't fix yourself.
Good luck and happy RVing!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:16 AM   #11

When we bought our first FR trailer, it was a 2020 model that was built before Covid - the quality was exactly the same as the 2021 model we got to replace it when it was totaled in a hail storm.

Identical down to the DGAF-level of assembly where behind the fireplace, where all the cabling comes into the trailer, someone had just bashed through the fiber board with a hammer or something, and left a giant ragged hole that the cables were pulled through. Identical in both years. Neither hole had any attempt made to even vaguely cover it up, or insure there was any insulation there. It would take about 5 seconds with a hole saw to do what any rational person would do when they needed a port to pull cables through...

Covid didn't help matters. But the manufacturers were all in full-swing on pumping out trailers as fast as possible with no care for quality for a long time before that.

Just assume that any new trailer will be built that way - now, or 5 years after Covid is long over. It's the way it's been, and the way it will be.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #12

Quality

Yes, in general Dealers are paid by the company in the form of a hold back for the Dealer to assure the trailer is delivered. correctly and properly. Some do a better job than others. Some do as little as possible in order to minimize the expense of doing the proper job.

In general, I find the RVs we have owned to all have lightweight hardware and fittings. Heavy-handed usage will produce failures. These are designed and built for occasional usage. These TTs and RVs are built to be lightweight in order to maximize features and options and yet minimize weight.

Things break. I do all of my own maintenance. If something needs replacing I will likely upgrade the quality.

As to why? I say that "failure is built on a foundation of excuses". Seems that everyone is most anxious to point the finger of blame on someone or something else.

Sorry that you have had a bad experience. Keep pressure on your Dealer to get issues resolved. Just remember, you bought it, it's yours.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:13 AM   #13

The newer RV’S are mostly all junk. Back in the day that was not true. Our first trailer was a 1966 Ideal, 18’. Heavy, wooden built, inside was wood paneling and no thought of saving weight. We bought it used, several years old, maybe 10. No idea of it’s history. It was flawless for the 4 years we had it.
Then came a used 22’ Vacationeer trailer, also used but newer, perhaps a 1972. Again, heavy, lots of wood and a rock solid unit. We towed it to NC when we moved here in 1978. Many years of trouble free use.
Then the kids got interested in other things and lots of involvement in school activities, so we were RV less for awhile.
Then, in 2007 we purchased a new Coachman 24’, class C. We even bought it from Camping World!! We had that for 5 years and 50,000 miles and never an issue with anything.
So yes, once upon a time RV’s were made with quality. Alas, those days are gone forever.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:29 AM   #14

Maybe, maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
The newer RV’S are mostly all junk. Back in the day that was not true. Our first trailer was a 1966 Ideal, 18’. Heavy, wooden built, inside was wood paneling and no thought of saving weight. We bought it used, several years old, maybe 10. No idea of it’s history. It was flawless for the 4 years we had it.
Then came a used 22’ Vacationeer trailer, also used but newer, perhaps a 1972. Again, heavy, lots of wood and a rock solid unit. We towed it to NC when we moved here in 1978. Many years of trouble free use.
Then the kids got interested in other things and lots of involvement in school activities, so we were RV less for awhile.
Then, in 2007 we purchased a new Coachman 24’, class C. We even bought it from Camping World!! We had that for 5 years and 50,000 miles and never an issue with anything.
So yes, once upon a time RV’s were made with quality. Alas, those days are gone forever.
When was the last time you took a TV to the shop to be repaired? Nope just toss it and buy a new one. When was the last time you took a cell phone to the shop to be repaired? Nope, just upgrade to a new one.

We are living in a world and society of disposable everything. When it wears out or fails, replace it. I know that is hard to stomach with a new to a relatively new travel trailer. But facts are facts and economics are econcomics. Unfortunately, we have to accept what comes along and make the best of it. As the economy tightens, companies cut corners to maintain profit levels. Unfortunately, quality is one area that suffers as the "bean counters" look for ways to cut costs.

I look at sites where owners have purchased $300K to $500K+ motorhomes. Guess what? They have the same issues, same failures, and same disappointments that folks like myself with our smaller, used, and older travel trailers experience.

My solution is ....... pay attention to detail, repair what needs repairing, and maintain what needs maintaining. Most of which I am able and can do myself.

If one has to rely on the Dealer and hand over the credit card, that is going to take time and be costly. There is no free ride.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 02:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
When was the last time you took a TV to the shop to be repaired? Nope just toss it and buy a new one. When was the last time you took a cell phone to the shop to be repaired? Nope, just upgrade to a new one.

We are living in a world and society of disposable everything. When it wears out or fails, replace it. I know that is hard to stomach with a new to a relatively new travel trailer. But facts are facts and economics are econcomics. Unfortunately, we have to accept what comes along and make the best of it. As the economy tightens, companies cut corners to maintain profit levels. Unfortunately, quality is one area that suffers as the "bean counters" look for ways to cut costs.

I look at sites where owners have purchased $300K to $500K+ motorhomes. Guess what? They have the same issues, same failures, and same disappointments that folks like myself with our smaller, used, and older travel trailers experience.

My solution is ....... pay attention to detail, repair what needs repairing, and maintain what needs maintaining. Most of which I am able and can do myself.

If one has to rely on the Dealer and hand over the credit card, that is going to take time and be costly. There is no free ride.
All of what you said plus:

When using the RV exercise more care. Driving/Towing at posted speed plus 10 mph will definitely put more wear and tear on everything. Especially so when on less than smooth roadways.

Good maintenance also prevents problems.

Not every fault on today's RV's is caused by the manufacturer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
All of what you said plus:

When using the RV exercise more care. Driving/Towing at posted speed plus 10 mph will definitely put more wear and tear on everything. Especially so when on less than smooth roadways.

Good maintenance also prevents problems.

Not every fault on today's RV's is caused by the manufacturer.
I just wish I could find any route that didn't have several stretches of really rough road
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:47 PM   #17
D W

Quote:

-- Chuck
X2. Unless you purchased through a fly-by-night wholesaler, the dealer should have gone through the rig, tested the systems and corrected the deficiencies. Forest River pays the dealers a stipend to do this. My last PDI was delayed almost two weeks while my dealer took care of shortcomings and deficiencies. Appears in this case, the dealer took the stipend and is now playing dumb.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:17 PM   #18

Looking at the punch list of issues, very few would have been discovered by even the most diligent of dealers. A loose grab rail, ok, but on the other hand wasn't the coach entered, the grab rail "tested", before towing it away?

A dealer can see and fix trim issues and probably the good ones pull out drawers and test switches but I don't expect them to pull out or open and close a drawer more than a couple times looking for smooth operation.

Probably not the end of finding issues either.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I just wish I could find any route that didn't have several stretches of really rough road
Same here. That said I find it amazing how people will still drive at the speeds they do even though their trailer wheels are bouncing off the highway as they pass over the lumps, bumps, and potholes.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacamper View Post
This is shoddy workmanship but we aren't surprised these days. Dealership has been fine, but I blame Forest River who could probably care less about its customers after the sale.

Disappointed that we have to deal with this and we have only used it four times.

Robin in Alabama
Well, the good news is that you can probably sell it for as much or more than you paid for it because rvs are in demand.