Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2022, 01:02 PM   #21

If you read all the warnings electric space heaters shouldn't be run while you're sleeping... And I'm sure there's a warning about taking one into the bathtub with you as well.

-- Chuck
Old 12-28-2022, 06:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
If you read all the warnings electric space heaters shouldn't be run while you're sleeping... And I'm sure there's a warning about taking one into the bathtub with you as well.

-- Chuck
Now that's just funny right thar
For two months out of the year we run an electric heater 24/7 in our RV so we don't use as much propane. If we turn it off when we are gone, the RV will take forever to heat back up when we return. But I do keep it out of the shower.....
We are fully insured
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:40 PM   #23

In a different but understandable context: "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

-- Chuck
Old 12-29-2022, 07:15 PM   #24

I always use campground electric for a portable heater whenever possible. If your worried about running out of propane with two tanks keep a spare and research where to refill along the route.

2020 Coachmen Catalina Summit 17RB
ibicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:19 PM   #25

I think you would run a risk leaving the fireplace on and electric heaters on because the heaters can overheat and cause a fire. Also the fireplaces aren't meant to provide much heat, only in the area they are in and they don't recommend using them for heat.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:24 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by desuhu View Post
I think you would run a risk leaving the fireplace on and electric heaters on because the heaters can overheat and cause a fire. Also the fireplaces aren't meant to provide much heat, only in the area they are in and they don't recommend using them for heat.
Really? "They" recommend using mine for heat.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:42 PM   #27

Just stayed in Grand Canyon lows in low 20’. I’m in a 36’ 5th wheel the daughter had a small electric heater in her room door closed. I used the fireplace to heat rest of trailer. I set furnace to 63 it might have come on twice during the early mornings. Didn’t come on at all a few of the nights. My fireplace heater saved me lots of propane.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:05 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by desuhu View Post

Electric fireplaces have thermal sensors and some even have proximity sensors to keep from overheating. See this link below:

https://www.recpro.com/rv-electric-f...hoCXWkQAvD_BwE

Safe To Use
This RV electric fireplace has several fantastic built-in features that enhance its safety during and after use. For starters, there are thermal cut-off sensors that keep track of the temperature of the fireplace. These sensors will shut the fireplace down if it becomes overheated. Secondly, additional close proximity cut-off sensors shut the fireplace down if anything comes within six inches of it, such as the edge of a blanket or a dropped book. As stated previously, the fireplace has an automatic shut-off timer so it will not constantly run while unsupervised.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:16 AM   #29

At them temperatures and thermostat settings you’ll definitely have propane. I have a 2016 Catalina 333RETS (38’-10”) and at them same outdoor temps and my thermostat set to 70 degrees, hot water heater and stove use a 30# tank will last me 9-10days. I live in mine 24/7 due to working oil and gas industry. Hopefully that gives you a good ideas for your expected usage
Jwelsh1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:13 PM   #30

If it was me,I would pick up a tank on the way back…!!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
If it was me,I would pick up a tank on the way back…!!!
He's home.... see post #17 and he did run out of propane, but had no damage.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:01 AM   #32

"@5picker I've read some folks believe the tank heaters to be useless but experience in cold weather with several different units has proven differently for us.

The entire country is experiencing below normal temperatures and a lot of folks weren't prepared. The water has frozen in the campground we are currently at and folks are scrambling. We are camping comfortably because we filled our fresh tank, unhooked from city water, are using the onboard pump and insulated our low point drains."

I agree with you on the tank heaters. From what I read they are designed to turn off at 60 degrees or so. If your fresh water tank has water in it that is just heat radiating out into the underbelly. I aimed my laser thermometer down the toilet and it is nice and warm.

Even empty tanks you are heating up the tank body. I can't believe any heat from the heaters are going to harm an empty tank. They have thermostats and the tanks are pretty durable.

My campground lost water too. I was fine with my fresh water fairly full.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:32 AM   #33
Have Camera will Travel

Not an RV but our well pump was in a small hut. To keep it from freezing I put a couple of 150 Watt lights in the hut. Something that may work in a compartment to stop lines from freezing.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 03:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop44 View Post
41 ft 2022 fifth wheel
Wow. That's pretty big.

I would bet on fuel level when you there.

Thinking I would have set more like 45°f
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy boys 3 View Post
I have a rockwood, 2604, TT, which is about 30 feet long. I have all of the low point drains covered with styrofoam faucet covers . . . .
Although it had been nagging at me, hadn't thought of that for the low point drains. Our 2021 2701RK Arctic Wolf uses propane to keep the tanks warm (and we've had no problems to date), the LP drains appear to be the weakest spot.

I'd also echo to disconnect "city water" and fill the FW tank, should temps be predicted below 35-36 F. In the desert, the radiant heat loss can readily be more than the air temperature: we've lost a (frozen) pressure regulator when the low was but 35 F, but the skies were clear. My current thumb-rule is 36 F predicted low.

With a fifth wheel, the electric fireplace-plus-propane keep the tanks from freezing down to the teens, but the interior temperature is not comfortable unless the propane heat is set quite high. (This is due to the living area of a 5er being quite less than the sleeping area.) The electric fireplace can be set at 78F, but the "downstairs" portion seldom comes close.

Oh, we have double foil bubble insulation for each window and the outdoor kitchen. We'll probably add it for the pantry, which also cools quickly. It helps a fair bit, although we'd've wished it'd been more. IMO currently, the "Arctic Wolf" label seems to piggy-back off of the "Arctic Fox" line, but without the necessary modifications.
jkgruet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:33 AM   #36

I would've set the thermostat lower, like 45 degrees.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane