Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #1

(soon to be) New DT 271BH owner here - Central TX

Hope this finds everyone as-well-as can be expected. Just ordered my Della Terra 271BH. Should be ready by mid-Jan. Moving up to slide unit from smaller Jayco. Might have questions about slides in the near future. One question I do have today is, any recommendations for 50amp surge protection?
Camco has a 50amp Defender for $330 (amazon). Thoughts on quality, price, etc.?
Thanks in advance...
CPJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #2

welcome from north tx. camp mid tx , ok, az, ark . never had a problem with surges. see them once in a while on pedestals. most st parks and army corp. parks have new pedestals. 15 years + and never owned one. its your $$$
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #3

Everyone's experience is different. Recently, we had a pedestal with a faulty 30amp connector that was overheating and tripped twice before I had to use my 30-to-50 adapter and the park staff fixed the 30 amp breaker and connector. So, yes, I will always use a surge protector. Not going to fry my rig's wiring for lack of inexpensive protection.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Welcome CPJeff from across the way a bit (just north of Houston). Can't help much with the surge protector. Have not had any issues not using one (so far). But I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Hope to see you down the road!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #5

Surge

If you plan to get one, get an EMS-Progressive or Surge Guard brand. Long discussion, which one is best. They will list the voltage and condition of the power pole and have about a 2 minute check they due prior to powering up your trailer. Basically an insurance policy for all your trailer electronics. They protect you from low voltage, the biggest danger. I agree, if only camping in major state and national parks not a must have. We travel across country and DW likes to hit the small private campgrounds. In 10 years it has saved us 3 times by disconnecting power due to low voltage. One time it was due to construction crew hitting power lines w/ a back hoe, it did get my neighbors A/C. To me, it is worth the peace of mind.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:47 AM   #6

I liken the EMS to an insurance policy on your car (Except the state does not mandate you have one).

You may have never been in a wreck, but still you have the insurance and are glad for it.

I agree wit having the EMS ours is hardwired from Progressive Industries
Old 03-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #7

Got my 271BH last weekend. Long time coming! So far, like the layout, and features. But not real impressed with the build quality. I guess I was expecting more from the DT than I got from Jayco. Nothing that is a show-stopper and can't be fixed by me, but minor irritants nonetheless. Also, thanks for the replies on the surge question. Trying to decide on hard-wired or portable.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #8
Dawg Fan

We purchased the Progressive EMS hardwire. I like the idea of 1 less thing to worry about setting up, and someone not being able to walk by and help themselves. It was a little bit of a pain to hook up just because the space was a little tight, and 6 gauge wire is not real flexible.
3 Rescue Rottweilers Zeus, Zoe and Zella

Ham Bone is offline   Reply With Quote