Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #1

What tank is what?

Hi, all.

I have a new-to-me 2021 Della Terra 271BH, and I'm trying to figure out what tank is what.

Specifically, this unit has 2 gray tanks and 1 black tank. Obviously the black tank connects to the toilet, and I assume it is only the toilet.

What I'm trying to figure out is: What connects to which gray tank? I would expect that the kitchen connects to the left-side gray tank valve, and the bathroom connects to the right-side gray tank valve.

Further, I would assume that "gray tank 1" is the left-side one, and that "gray tank 2" is the right side one.

On a recent trip, I had to dump "gray tank 2" twice, and unfortunately I wasn't able to figure out which side it was. We hardly used the bathroom sink, so I would have expected "gray tank 1" to be the one to fill up, and that to be the plumbing on the left.

Any idea which sink connects to which gray tank, or a way to figure it out?

Also, are both gray tanks the same size, or is one of them larger than the other?

Thanks.
unixdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread to the East to West sub-forum since the OP wants model-specific information.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:54 AM   #3
Retired Old Guy

What tank is what?

Next time you break down camp and have some extra time, dump all of your tanks and close the valves. Now go inside and run the kitchen sink for 2-3 minutes. Go back out and pull handle #1, anything come out? If not pull handle #2, you should have a rush of water on whatever tank the kitchen sink is connected to. Now do the same to the bathroom sink and then the shower.
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Team

The easiest way to know which tank drains what is a test as IamProStreet suggested. You use the word assume several times in your query and we've learned assuming is sometimes a mistake!

I had a previous trailer where I'm sure the bathroom sink dumped into the black tank.
Here is a link to a dealer who shows "factory specs" which as we all know
are "subject to change" but a good starting point.
https://www.rvdynasty.com/product/ne...1bh-1251711-29
Since it says the black is 30 gallons and it says 60 gallon gray capacity we will -guess- you have 2 30 gallon gray tanks.

Welcome to FRF!
Happy Camping!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:42 AM   #5

Grey water can simply drain onto your lawn. A bottle of food dye (your choice of color but red is very stylish) down any single drain will immediately tell you into which tank the water is draining. $3 at the supermarket or just use up what's been sitting in your kitchen cupboard for years. Whole bottle 'cuz the color gets weak when diluted.

-- Chuck
Old 11-26-2022, 10:29 AM   #6

Thanks, I see what you are doing here -- and, I have another trip planned for a few weeks from now, and I will try it out as you are suggesting. Hopefully December camping means fewer others out, which means an easier time at the dump station, where I can take my time to do these tests.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #7

If there's a lavatory sink near the toilet, it's not unusual for it to be plumbed into the black tank.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixdude View Post
Thanks, I see what you are doing here -- and, I have another trip planned for a few weeks from now, and I will try it out as you are suggesting. Hopefully December camping means fewer others out, which means an easier time at the dump station, where I can take my time to do these tests.
If you do the food dye test, you're going to need a clear sewer elbow.
There's probably one other thing you need to check and that would be to see if there is any indication the previous owner made alterations to the plumbing underneath the rig to tie the two tanks together.

If those two tanks have separate indicator lights which you indicated they did, you can hook up to water and see what tank fills up when you open faucets. In our rigs, there was always a bit of a delay til the indicator light registered the tank level.
You can always dump on your way into a campground or since it's clean water, you can water a yard.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-27-2022, 09:15 AM   #9

Thanks for all the info and ideas. Now I am super looking forward to our next trip! The campground we are going to has a fresh water tap at the dump station, and I can stop by there to both test and fill up for the weekend.

Tags
tank