Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2021, 03:07 PM   #1

Question 2021 Salem 260RTX vs. RT? Looking to purchase

Hello everyone! New to the forums here as I'm looking to purchase my first toy hauler. I'm no newbie to mobile RV systems, as I've been living and working out of Prevost tour busses for years, but would love any and all input.

My first question is what is the difference between a 260RT and a 260RTX in 2021? I've been reading about the acessibelly that may or may not be there. Looking at a barely used unit by a private seller. Things I should check out and be aware of?

Looks like there's lots of discrepancies over FR literature and what actually is in the unit. The floor is more of a subway tile look instead of the more newer herringbone design, which may suggest an earlier build? I don't think the owners have the build sheet.
rackrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:25 PM   #2

Welcome,
260 RT is aluminum corrugated wall skin and RTX has hung fiberglass. Otherwise I don't think there's a difference. I have one of these, they are pretty decent little units but have some issues with build quality like all other brands. Nothing that would keep me away if you have basic RV know how.
Good Luck.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:16 PM   #3

One thing to consider between the corrugated aluminum (RT) and the fiberglass sided (RTX) is that the aluminum is installed in sections and the fiberglass is one entire piece. It is much easier to replace the aluminum in just section(s) if it gets damaged as opposed to replacing the entire side. There is also the possibility of delamination on the fiberglass. I have seen a few threads about that but it's possible that the newer campers are more durable? I had also heard of cases on other campers of getting damage from rocks kicked up on the highway while traveling causing cracks in the fiberglass. I had the option of doing the 190RT or 190RTX when I got mine but after learning about this, I opted for the 190RT. I will admit that the smooth fiberglass siding does look cool though...
Old 12-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to pull the trigger on the RTX fiberglass model. Price can't be beat and I haven't noticed anything concerning upon inspection.

No Acessibelly on this one even though it's advertised as such. Probably going to find a clever way to attach some coroplast sheeting to the underbelly to help with camping in the cold. Maybe something with those 1/4 turn locking fasteners. I have a bunch of the coroplast sheets from a client's project so that part is free. Also adding some tank blankets most likely.
rackrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackrocker View Post
Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to pull the trigger on the RTX fiberglass model. Price can't be beat and I haven't noticed anything concerning upon inspection.

No Acessibelly on this one even though it's advertised as such. Probably going to find a clever way to attach some coroplast sheeting to the underbelly to help with camping in the cold. Maybe something with those 1/4 turn locking fasteners. I have a bunch of the coroplast sheets from a client's project so that part is free. Also adding some tank blankets most likely.
It's been done on this forum. Scroll down and see all our posts on these. Spare tire mounts, tinted windows, underbelly.....me and the guys have been working over here!
Enjoy the new rig.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #6

Supply chain issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackrocker View Post
Looks like there's lots of discrepancies over FR literature and what actually is in the unit. The floor is more of a subway tile look instead of the more newer herringbone design, which may suggest an earlier build? I don't think the owners have the build sheet.
This is due to supply chain issues and increased product demand due to COVID. (Not safe to fly to Aunt Meg's? Get a motorhome and drive.)

When they run out of one range/microwave/flooring/air conditioner/refrigerator, they just start building with another. They're always slow to update the website and marketing collateral, just more visible since COVID supply chain issues began.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2021, salem