Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2022, 10:55 PM   #1

Another tv mount question: New owner

Hi all, Thanks in advance for your patience if this has been asked but I'm not seeing a lot in the search. New to toy haulers and I have a Salem FSX 190RT we're outfitting for our first trip. TV mount question. The back wall has a tv sticker and I am supposing the backer is directly behind that, so safe to mount there? The stud finder is not helpful as it tells me the stud is on a vertical wall seam about 6 inches to the left of the sticker and another stud next to the cabinets, which is to the right of the sticker almost up to the cabinet, but no clear indication behind the sticker- or maybe I need to start the stud search farther away to id that there is actually a backer behind the sticker. Any advice? It's a small tv, 24 inches, small mount. Thanks.

As I think about it, I ran the stud finder horizontally and I'm thinking that's wrong. I'm assuming there is a horizontal running board in the area of the sticker and I need to pull the finder vertically to find the upper and lower limits- does this sound right? Trailer's in storage so I can't check it until I bring it home in a few.
NDennisNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:32 PM   #2

A 32" fits there nicely and that's what I did on mine. I chose a Samsung smart TV so I wouldnt need anything extra like a Firestick or a Roku. Here are a couple photos to show where I put the mounting bracket. It took some courage to do because as you found, it's not clearly marked where to reinforcement is. Unfortunately the cords are a bit of a mess but mostly hidden behind the TV. I went with a white 2ft rg6 cord from ceiling antenna connection to the TV. I also changed out the DV7200 stereo to a DV3300 stereo with DVD player and ran a HDMI cord from TV into the side of the cabinet and plugged into the back of the DV3300.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220818-232429_Gallery.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	278014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220818-232442_Gallery.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	278015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220818-232458_Gallery.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	278016  
Old 08-18-2022, 11:50 PM   #3

One tip in case it happens to you too. When I scanned for local TV stations, even though I pushed the button on ceiling switch and light was green, I couldn't get any. I ended up having to unscrew and pull that plate down and discovered loose coax connections on the back side. I think only one was loose but checked all 3. Once I made sure all the coax connections were tight, I scanned again and was able to finally get several stations.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:29 AM   #4

What we ended up doing for our trailer is contacting Freedom Express to get a design plan of the wall where the mount is supposed to go. Ended up that the 'backer' area was not a stud but more of a piece of plywood, around 12 inches by 12 inches, squished between the inner and outer skins of the wall.
If you know you're definitely going to put a tv there, run a small test screw right where the sticker is and see if you hit wood or not. Don't use a long screw as you run the risk of going right through your outer wall... don't want that. Just a test screw to see if it has something to really grab into.
If you do find wood back there, really make sure of the wall thickness first before you go ahead and install your mount.
montelovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:02 AM   #5

Thanks guys and thank you for the pics Mikeyk101, exactly what I needed. That's the location where I found a stud also, on both sides of that wall seam. I was thinking of cutting the seam out the size of the mount and mounting centered across the seam.

Thank you!
NDennisNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, question, tv mount