Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #1

Just bought 2019 wildwood 260rt. Now question

I have a 2014 ultra classic and wondering if I am going to have problem with it bottoming out when loading? Any advice or mods I should do? We are going from a tent to the toy hauler.
Bykerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #2

I have a different toy hauler, but if it looks like it will scrape, you can do several things. One of the easiest is cranking the front of the trailer up on its jack to lower the rear, and reduce the angle. Put a 2x4 or something similar under the door to raise it. Or back up to a hill. I have seen one person that made a ramp that the door rested on a 4x4, and he used 2x4's nailed together for a smaller ramp to the door. I was able to just use a 2x4 under the door, and crank up the front when I use to loaded my ex-wifes sportster in. My current bike is tall enough to not have to worry.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #3

One of my boys had a similar problem with an enclosed trailer and his Harley Deluxe. Ended up buying a longer metal ramp to keep in trailer. It was easier than trying find a hill or a slope or stack wood.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
Site Team

If you do find that it may scrape you can get a curved ramp as long as the door is tall and cut the ends at an angle to fit flat on the door and mount the ramp to the door. That way it'll prevent any possibility of scraping when loading and it'll be permanently there whenever you need it, but be mostly out of the way when the door is up.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #5

BykerBob, So far, in general what is your experience with the 260RT ?

Thank you
vdelgadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #6

Wildwood 260rt

Hi,
Unfortunately the only experience I have is pulling home from dealer and backing in shed, as I picked it up 12/5/19. And we left for AZ 12/15/19. But we are looking forward to first trip in May 2020 and have many trips planned for next summer with it and bike. Will update my impression after use. But it has to be better then tent we packed on bike and sleeping on ground.
Bykerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #7

The layout is similar to my 26RR, and if its level, you might be close as you go into the camper. As previously stated, you can lift the front using the tongue jack, or place some blocks under the door and use an additional ramp.

As far as experience with this type of camper, I have had mine for 5 years now. The wood work is cheap, but the camper itself has been surprisingly trouble free. We fulltimed in it for about a year and use it at MX races 20+ times a year and the only issue was cooling the unit down in the summer. The aluminum sides transfer a lot of heat to the interior, so shade is your friend if you use it in the summer. Also, the tanks are small, so extended boondocking requires planning.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #8

upgrade for Harley Toyhauler

I have a Ozark Trail 2700TH now and before that a 25' Outlaw TH. I use it to trailer two full dressers without issue. My upgrades include a bracket system called a "Biker Bar". It has a bar that clamps easily to frame of bike and then that bar snaps into a mounted floor bracket. Seconds to load or unload and NO NEED FOR ANY STRAPS. I have towed that system for years and thousands of miles and the brackets are amazingly solid and keep my bikes safe.

That being said, the bar clamped to the frame as I ride the bike up the ramp gives me a lower frame height by a couple inches. I still can clear the apex of the ramp as long as I crank the front of the rig up enough. I have not attached anything to the ramp to assist because that is also my patio in good weather and I don't want to trip over permanently mounted items on the door/ramp.

Happy camping and safe riding!
polish texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wildwood