Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2022, 09:43 PM   #1

New 2022 FSX 190RT, new to this lifestyle

We're excited to start this new adventure! Wife and I love to travel, usually by MC, and when it's a long distance, trailer the bike. So about a year ago we planned a trip from NC to 4 corners (UT, AZ, NM, CO) to ride the mc this year for our 40th anniversary. I started to calculate how much I'd spend at hotels and couldn't stand the idea of spending all that on hotels. So I got this great idea that we could save money (on hotels) and get a toy hauler, even though the most I've ever towed is a utility trailer, and a u-haul or two. Wife loved the idea, we researched and found what we wanted and now we are spending more money saving money on hotels outfitting the kit. We're taking our first trip about 3 hours away to a Moravian Family campground to attend an event, and as a dry run, without the bike. We'll be gone most of September on our way to Zion National. Got some great stops and fun riding planned. Oh, and we recently took up hiking so we're going to enter the lottery to hike The Wave in AZ. Hope to get it. If not, we'll do one of the great hikes in Zion.

It's like getting a small apartment with all you have to buy for these things. And a lot to learn. I don't know how folks entered this lifestyle before the internet, man there's a lot to learn.

Did I say we're excited? We are. Maybe we'll see you down the road. Had a moment from all my reading and youtubes to share.
NDennisNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:52 PM   #2

You aren't kidding about all the things to outfit them. I have become very chummy with Amazon. One thing I picked up recently but haven't gotten a chance to try out is an Extend a Shower rod that I think is going to be a hit. I did step into the shower after installing and it did give considerably more room. I was tired of brushing up against the curtain while taking showers. It also will fold in so provides a little more standing room when by the sink. You might be interested in this too:

https://a.co/d/ahgUfSS
Old 08-20-2022, 12:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDennisNC View Post
I don't know how folks entered this lifestyle before the internet, man there's a lot to learn.

Did I say we're excited? We are. Maybe we'll see you down the road. Had a moment from all my reading and youtubes to share.
I think people just muddled through before the internet. These rigs are a lot more complicated than earlier models, so thank heavens for the internet. Finding the exact thing you need to outfit your rig is much easier with the internet (and Amazon) The good news is that once you're outfitted, traveling and camping will be much easier than carrying things in and out of a motel room.

You have every right to be excited. You're going to have a great time!
Safe travels.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:28 AM   #4

Mikey, thanks for the great idea that I'm sure LaNett hasn't thought of or stumbled on yet. I agree Reverse-Snowbird, I think people spent a lot more time at camper stores and pieced it together as they went.

Amazon has been delivering 2-3 boxes a day since we bought the thing. Grill, Tools, Grill tools, spare electrical, spare hoses, hose bags, tonneau cover, tpm monitor, jack cover, chairs, rechargeable flashlights, tv mount, compressor, hitch lock, on and on... and that's just my part. LaNett has the household stuff.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:18 PM   #5
3boxerss

Congrats on your new rig!!WE have that same model a year older.

Previous Campers
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2001 Traillite Bantam B19
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 05:55 PM   #6

Shakedown cruise completed, everything went very well. We planned petty well and have almost everything we'll need. A few returns now. I'm still toying with getting the 780 lbs motorcycle in comfortably. I bought a ramp extender but really don't think I'll need it so likely will return it. My driveway is sloped away from the ramp the way I parked and I didn't raise the tongue at first so I hit the muffler. Raised the tongue second try and had no problem. I was just a little leary of how high I could/ should raise the tongue so thought a small ramp extension would help if I lifted the gate a bit, but I'm feeling pretty comfortable that I won't be able to raise the tongue enough to tip it back and damage the trailer, ha. My fridge door still opens a crack when travelling as the door stopper slips into the bottom groove so I'm going to buy some rubber door stopper/ wedges to shove in between the stopper and fridge for travelling. Slept and ate well. No dump station issues.

1.5 weeks and we're off to Utah, Colorado, NM, Arizona for 3 weeks thereabouts! Stopping at a variety of RV camps along the way so that will be fun. An Indian reservation campground, a state park, some private, a KOA, some kitschy (Rt 66), even a municipal downtown RV park in Little Rock downtown. Sits at the water right near the bridge. A nice hotel couldn't get you a better view.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:14 PM   #7

Glad your shakedown cruise went well.

You might want to consider some type of refrigerator door lock since you're headed on a trip and road conditions will vary. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KPZMMV...7-74cd5d6c74d9

Safe travels.