Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #1

Angry Poor workmanship 2021 SALEM FSX210RTX Platinum

We just bought a new 2021 Salem FSX210RTX Platinum and I'm sorely disappointed. The sewer plumbing looks like a two year old glued it together with glue drippings almost touching the ground. The sewer drain hangs so low it drags the ground if you aren't extremely careful or do an axle swap which I decided to do rather than rip it off pulling into an unlevel drive. Worst of all I just flooded my toilet because the idiots at the factory somehow manage to label the black tank flush and city water connection completely backwards. Good thing we hadn't used the sewer yet. Sad how poorly they assemble these things. Nearly everything on this camper is just slapped together with no attempt to even make sure screws or nails are even hitting their target. It's not very Platinum.
KCCHIEFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCHIEFS View Post
We just bought a new 2021 Salem FSX210RTX Platinum and I'm sorely disappointed. The sewer plumbing looks like a two year old glued it together with glue drippings almost touching the ground. The sewer drain hangs so low it drags the ground if you aren't extremely careful or do an axle swap which I decided to do rather than rip it off pulling into an unlevel drive. Worst of all I just flooded my toilet because the idiots at the factory somehow manage to label the black tank flush and city water connection completely backwards. Good thing we hadn't used the sewer yet. Sad how poorly they assemble these things. Nearly everything on this camper is just slapped together with no attempt to even make sure screws or nails are even hitting their target. It's not very Platinum.
Were you able to put eyes on it before you took it home?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 56; Booked = 52
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #3

Unfortunately not as well as I should have. We were out of state and on a deadline to get home and it was pouring rain. It looked fine at first glance but when you really have time to look at stuff you notice a lot more defects than when you're excited to purchase it and the salesman is rushing you through a bunch of different models. I actually did ask the salesman about the low sewer drain and he lied and said it wouldn't be an issue. The issues should be caught in QA or at least by the dealer before a customer buys it.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
When we bought ours we experienced somewhat of the same thing, 2021 260RT. I fought the dealer and that just made it worse mentally. IF you can fix it I say do so, its summer and you wont be able to use it if you take it to the dealer for warranty.

Though I have not had plumbing issues mine have been just fixing a lot of little things such as, screws being loose, gaps that needed caulking, lots of saw dust and even a few propane line routing issues. I do think my shower drain is slow and suspect a kinked hose or something.

Far as low drain goes, i would make sure its not as close as you may think. I thought mine was low and even considered doing a re route, but truthfully, I have "yet" to have an issue. It gets close though.
Chris M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #5

I feel for you most of us have had issues with ours too. Just hope you are handy and can work on it yourself. If not you can visit it at the dealership repair lot most of the season.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:58 AM   #6

Sorry to her about your problems. It's normal in the RV Industry and the Brand seems to make no difference. I bought a 2019 Grand Design Reflection TT after reading some info on a GD forum (some owners are very loyal to the brand to the point of being cheerleaders). I also visited their website and read about their own post construction PDI. Let's just say good marketing can accomplish a lot. I had 30 issues (none plumbing related) that took a year and many trips ($$) to the Dealer to fix. Finally decided the work, stress of the prior warranty headaches and dealer BS outweighed the positives and sold it late last year.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

This where the PDI comes in and if you fail to do you pay the consequences. Dealer could have corrected your problems before you took possession. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-38
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
The issues should be caught in QA or at least by the dealer before a customer buys it.
Agreed, but these are not like cars, I don't believe there is any QA, and thoroughness of dealer inspection depends on dealer and is dubious at best. I took 4 hours to do my PDI. Guy giving orientation was getting antsy, told me this is usually done in just over an hour. Don't care. Spending a hunk of cash on a luxury item, it better be right! Even after that, ended up fixing a lot of stuff myself, like the screws that missed their targets!! No shortage of those. Almost everything I've bought from China is better quality than this 'american made' product.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #9

Same here on my new Cedar Creek Champaign. Thule awning broke first week. Leak behind shower from a defective washer on day 3. Ice maker will not fill tray to even half full. Remote door lock would not program, water intrusion. Two ceiling panels need replacing from bent staples. AC in Bedroom rattled while on. Dealer unable to get or fix for 3 weeks. Finally got it in and after 10 days in shop picked up. Nothing fixed except rattle.. I fixed panels using blank electrical plates to cover rattle. damage cause dealer said fixing problem may look worse. I fixed bathroom faucet cause dealer couldn't find leak. Dealer did fix air, a fist size piece of aluminum tape left inside air duct at manufacturing. I got a new power door lock from Manufacture and replaced myself. I've ordered new motor, gear box and control module thru Lippert myself as dealer could not find problem. Only thing left is entry door metal to metal at top, Severely mis aligned. Will take that back next month when I can empty fridge and leave it for a month to fix. Forget getting the Best Buy Geek Squad to fulfill their contract commitment with Insignia to warrant the refrigerator cause I cant get to model number on side of fridge with out removing it. Bottom line: terrible workmanship, dealers can't fix problems but are apologetic about it. Overwhelmed, can't get parts. This is my 3rd Forrest River product,shame on me. You better be handy and able to fix most of your new RV problems if you want to actually use it.
Jackfacente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Forget getting the Best Buy Geek Squad to fulfill their contract commitment with Insignia to warrant the refrigerator cause I cant get to model number on side of fridge with out removing it.
Good news for you, I'm surprised you didn't know this after owning multiple units...the build sheet has model number and serial numbers of every appliance!

Quote:
You better be handy and able to fix most of your new RV problems if you want to actually use it.
I can't imagine some older couple who just retired that is not mechanically inclined buying one of these things. I would feel so bad for them. You better be able to fix stuff, or be content letting your unit languish at an RV dealership waiting for repairs for months.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M. View Post
When we bought ours we experienced somewhat of the same thing, 2021 260RT. I fought the dealer and that just made it worse mentally. IF you can fix it I say do so, its summer and you wont be able to use it if you take it to the dealer for warranty.

Though I have not had plumbing issues mine have been just fixing a lot of little things such as, screws being loose, gaps that needed caulking, lots of saw dust and even a few propane line routing issues. I do think my shower drain is slow and suspect a kinked hose or something.

Far as low drain goes, i would make sure its not as close as you may think. I thought mine was low and even considered doing a re route, but truthfully, I have "yet" to have an issue. It gets close though.
I was hoping it just looked low too, but it drug pulling into my shop drive. Luckily it's dirt so it didn't damage anything.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Agreed, but these are not like cars, I don't believe there is any QA, and thoroughness of dealer inspection depends on dealer and is dubious at best. I took 4 hours to do my PDI. Guy giving orientation was getting antsy, told me this is usually done in just over an hour. Don't care. Spending a hunk of cash on a luxury item, it better be right! Even after that, ended up fixing a lot of stuff myself, like the screws that missed their targets!! No shortage of those. Almost everything I've bought from China is better quality than this 'american made' product.
Lesson learned. Dealer didn't even offer an inspection. But most of my major issues like mislabeled hose connections likely wouldn't have been discovered anyways.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
This where the PDI comes in and if you fail to do you pay the consequences. Dealer could have corrected your problems before you took possession. Later RJD

Yes you are right. I would suggest new buyers take the hours and hours required to carefully inspect and test everything from a to z when picking up their unit. Don't rely on the manufacturer for any quality control nor the dealer for anything other than a fast inspection. Don't assume anything was actually done right. Look under the RV for poor welds and rust. Look at every screw for over tightening as the heads will fall off later. Get on the roof and carefully inspect it for needed repairs (recommend finding someone with an infrared camera and wet the roof thoroughly). Test every system for at least an hour after checking every valve and switch. Don't forget to check windows, vents, doors, cabinets and doors, drawers and trim for proper operation and installation. Check any exterior attachment points. Fill all the tanks and run the water pump after pulling the underbelly plastic to check for leaking plumbing connections. While doing that, check the rats nest of wiring for loose connections. Pull the wheels and check the brakes for possible problems or grease, look at the welds for the leaf spring brackets. Oh yeah, don't forget to pull the main electrical outlet and 110 outlets to make sure the connections are tight. Then check the electrical panel itself as well as bus bars to make sure all lugs are tight. Now you have a good chance of not having to make 20 trips back to the dealer for warranty work.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Yes you are right. I would suggest new buyers take the hours and hours required to carefully inspect and test everything from a to z when picking up their unit. Don't rely on the manufacturer for any quality control nor the dealer for anything other than a fast inspection. Don't assume anything was actually done right. Look under the RV for poor welds and rust. Look at every screw for over tightening as the heads will fall off later. Get on the roof and carefully inspect it for needed repairs (recommend finding someone with an infrared camera and wet the roof thoroughly). Test every system for at least an hour after checking every valve and switch. Don't forget to check doors, cabinets and doors, drawers and trim for proper operation and installation. Check any exterior attachment points. Fill all the tanks and run the water pump after pulling the underbelly plastic to check for leaking plumbing connections. While doing that, check the rats nest of wiring for loose connections. Pull the wheels and check the brakes for possible problems or grease, look at the welds for the leaf spring brackets. Oh yeah, don't forget to pull the main electrical outlet and 110 outlets to make sure the connections are tight. Then check the electrical panel itself as well as bus bars to make sure all lugs are tight. Now you have a good chance of not having to make 20 trips back to the dealer for warranty work.
Although I appreciate your tenacity, a lot of what you mentioned wouldn't fly at a dealership picking up a new unit. Sometimes it depends on time of year too. It was freezing when I picked up in mid November, therefore it was already winterized, they refused to hook it up to water for me for that reason, and I couldn't test the A/C (briefly turned it on, powered up fans ran, then in Spring when I turned it on, no cold air was coming out). They say you shouldn't run A/C in freezing weather, so I didn't.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:05 AM   #15

I have a laundry list of issues on my 2020 camper. It too has very low plumbing and rubs slightly when backing it into my driveway. I made a "u" shaped piece of steel for the bottom of the gate and used a stainless hose clamp to keep it in place. Then it rubs the steel plate instead of the plastic.

Seems like they could run the pipes a few extra feet to be in front of the axles to help with clearance issues but that'd cost $5 extra in pipe.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #16

As long as people keep buying this garbage they will continue to put out garbage . once people quit spending their money and start expecting higher quality then and only then will it change . Now the argument that it will cost more is bogus because they all ready cost a lot for the crap you get .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #17
D W

Quote:
Unfortunately not as well as I should have. We were out of state and on a deadline to get home and it was pouring rain. It looked fine at first glance but when you really have time to look at stuff you notice a lot more defects than when you're excited to purchase it and the salesman is rushing you through a bunch of different models. I actually did ask the salesman about the low sewer drain and he lied and said it wouldn't be an issue. The issues should be caught in QA or at least by the dealer before a customer buys it.
In this forum, too often that is the case. Folks are in a rush with other priorities and all the rig gets is a cursory glance, until they get it home. Once you let the salesman get away with a wink and a nod, it's all on you.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
In this forum, too often that is the case. Folks are in a rush with other priorities and all the rig gets is a cursory glance, until they get it home. Once you let the salesman get away with a wink and a nod, it's all on you.
I guess I'm different. When making a big purchase, I try to educate myself BEFORE putting my hard-earned money down. For example, I shopped for two years before buying my first new truck.
When I bought my first new RV, I joined numerous RV forums to educate myself on the ins and outs of RVs. Again it took me 2 years before I felt I knew enough that I was ready to buy one. I learned a lot about the PDI/walkthrough and how important a thorough and complete one was. I was shocked at how many consumers allowed the dealerships to push them around and give them a poor PDI.
15 years later, I still am shocked at how many aren't willing to push for a good PDI and aren't willing to refuse acceptance until they do.
I am shocked at how many are surprised about the RV Industry's lack of quality, which was still a huge issue 20 years ago. It has been well documented and continuously discussed on RV forums for years.
The information is out there for consumers to learn how to prepare and protect themselves, when buying a RV.
Even as educated as I could get, I still had to wrestle with dealers and the manufacturers to get warranty work done. But I learned from others, on the forums, how to take them on and get things fixed. The key was getting as many issues as possible, documented during the PDI.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #19

Even if you go over it with a fine tooth comb, you still might only get half of the issues. Then for the dealer to "fix" the issue and probably make it worse, you're without the camper for a couple months...before you ever get it. There's no winning as a buyer of a new or newer RV right now or for the last few years for that matter.

They're usually pretty good at making things look good on the surface (i.e. putting lipstickon a pig), but after a trip or 2 you start finding everything that's wrong. If you bring your RV to the dealer at that point, you're out of it for the season, then out of warranty.

Not sure why Europe and Australia can put an RV together well, but the US cannot.

Personally, we paid @25k for our camper last year. I would have gladly paid a few k more to have it well built. That way I wouldn't need to worry when something safety related (brakes, bearings, wheels, propane gas, frame, hitch...) are going to fail while we're towing it and then put my families lives in danger. If they build the by the lowest bidder for components, like Lippert, it's a matter of time till people start dying...especially with all the new RV owners in the last year and a half.

Really makes me want to convert a schoolie so much more lol
Old 06-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Although I appreciate your tenacity, a lot of what you mentioned wouldn't fly at a dealership picking up a new unit. Sometimes it depends on time of year too. It was freezing when I picked up in mid November, therefore it was already winterized, they refused to hook it up to water for me for that reason, and I couldn't test the A/C (briefly turned it on, powered up fans ran, then in Spring when I turned it on, no cold air was coming out). They say you shouldn't run A/C in freezing weather, so I didn't.

I was kidding. Nobody would go to these lengths although that is what it would take to minimize warranty work headaches. Thorough buyer PDI's are a good idea but there are a lot of problems that pop up later in ownership. Let's face it, RV's are poorly built under engineered rolling boxes. Add to that dealers that can barely get the right parts ordered and delay warranty work in the hopes of wearing you out to the point that you do your own repairs. The industry is a joke. I can't imagine the losses people are going to take in 2 or 3 years when all these new buyers tire of the work and want to sell the overpriced RV's they bought.

Tags
2021, 210, salem