Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2022, 04:48 PM   #1

Quality of Impression 5th Wheel

Has anyone else had quality issues with the Impression 5th wheels. We purchased a 2022 280RL and it has been in the shop more than we've been able to use it. Trim issues, drawer issues and now the furnace doesn't work. Are we the only ones having more than the usual amount of issues with a new 5th wheel?
Jenkinsj104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:51 PM   #2

And other problems. Too many to list.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Community Discussion section to the Impression sub-forum since the OP is asking for model-specific information and not a general question.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkinsj104 View Post
Has anyone else had quality issues with the Impression 5th wheels. We purchased a 2022 280RL and it has been in the shop more than we've been able to use it. Trim issues, drawer issues and now the furnace doesn't work. Are we the only ones having more than the usual amount of issues with a new 5th wheel?
Were these issues found during the PDI/walk-through or after you took delivery?
Is this your first new RV?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 12-11-2022, 05:49 PM   #5

I wish I knew what "the usual amount of problems" is for a new RV.
Everyone I know (including myself) has multiple problems the first year of ownership of a new RV. Any RV. Most are minor and mainly annoying, but some are more serious. If you take it to a dealer for warranty work, it will definitely be there more than in your possession. That's why I always advise everyone to find an independent service only RV shop that can do warranty work. Better work, cheaper costs, and definitely more timely.
The good thing of the first year trial by fire is that after that most problems are remedied and you will get years of great usage with few problems. At least that has been my experience and something to look forward to.
We have been thinking of purchasing a new RV, but that first year causes us to drag our feet
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:31 PM   #6

This is our 4th RV. We consider ourselves fairly experienced in RVing. The issues that were found during delivery have been repaired. But now every time we get the RV home, we seem to be faced with new issues. While troubleshooting the furnace, I discovered ducting that leads to no where. It was only discovered because I removed a small divider wall in the storage compartment. Behind the wall is the water pump, water heater and furnace. The duct is attached the heater and the other end isn't attached to anything. I don't feel this issue would have ever been discovered if I had not removed the small access wall. The RV stays under a cover at our home and is therefore not exposed to rain. Since it was at the dealer for a month a half, I have now discovered what appears to be water damage to the bedroom slide, which is a closet slide and no water lines run anywhere near it.

We understand a few issues with a new unit, but this seems excessive. Everytime we take it to the shop, they addres the issues we present them. Then when we get it home, and other issues appear. We have only been able to use this unit one time since July. We have never had this many issues with an RV. This is our 1st Forest River and it seems to have some serious quality issues. Are we the only ones?
Old 12-11-2022, 06:38 PM   #7

Nope.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:39 PM   #8

Please excuse the typos. I am using my phone and can only do so good with my thumbs...
Old 12-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #9
Site Team

Is it possible the duct you found is actually there to provide heat to an area with plumbing that is not exposed to interior heat?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:43 PM   #10

I believe that is what it is for, but it is just lose and able to flop around by the heater. I think it should at least be attached to something and not just be able to flop around. I would think that if it is meant to heat the storage area, it would have a proper vent on the end of the duct and be secured to something.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:46 PM   #11

It was laying in a way where is directed air towards another duct. Just lose.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:47 PM   #12

Just flopping around all willy nilly
Old 12-11-2022, 06:55 PM   #13

Maybe we just bought a P.OS.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:05 PM   #14

I know you are frustrated, and we have all been there as RV owners. There seems to be little, if any, quality control in any RV , regardless of manufacturer.
I have had units that had just minor problems, and some that had major problems in the last 40 years. I had one I wanted to set a match to. The thing all of them had in common is that after constantly fixing something for the first year, they all became very enjoyable, dependable units after about a year of cussing them.
Hang in there.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:08 PM   #15

Thanks for the encouragement. It's hooked up I'll be heading the dealer in the morning. It'll all get fixed I know. But jeez, this is the most frustrated I've been with an RV. Thanks again! Cheers!
Old 12-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #16

We've always bought used ones. No dealer issues to deal with. Any issues that arise we address ourselves. Once it is a couple of years old, most issues are resolved and we don't have those headaches. Oh, we have items that break or wear out, but again, those we address ourselves.

As I've frequently said or written; "today, new guarantees new, but not necessarily good". That is just the way the ball bounces.

Sorry that you are having issues with the new 5th wheel. Bummer!

Stay with it and you will get all the issues resolved. By then you will be tired of it and someone will get a nice functional 5th wheel.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:15 PM   #17

It'll all get fixed. I guess I'm just disappointed that this is the most we've ever spent on an rv and it has, so far, had the most issues. I don't mind fixing things that are within my wheelhouse, but i feel a new unit should, i dont know be able to be used as a camper... We looked at some used units. Nothing really jumped out at us. Maybe we should have looked further at used. Guess we're just frustrated and disappointed in, what we feel, is an overall lack of quality. Just shame, but that's just the way things go. We just hope our plans over the holidays work out and we can actually use the RV we have. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the encouragement! Much appreciated!
Old 12-11-2022, 08:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkinsj104 View Post
Maybe we just bought a P.OS.
You bought a rig built during the pandemic. The entire RV Industry has been putting out poor quality rigs, not just FR.
Were your previous 3 RVs, also new?
Old 12-11-2022, 08:19 PM   #19

I had to perform at the same level during the pandemic. I understand what you're saying. But I just feel the pandemic shouldn't be excuse for crappy workmanship. But, I guess it is. Just a shame.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:20 PM   #20

Yeah all my previous RV's were purchased new. They all had some minor issues. But not as many as this one.

Tags
5th wheel, quality, wheel