Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2022, 08:22 AM   #1
2023 East to West Entrada

Radio losing settings

I recently bought a 2023 East to West Entrada motorhome. My radio is not keeping any pre-sets or time after key-off. Having installed a few stereos before I know there is typically a yellow wire that should be connected to always on 12v to maintain these settings.

I am guessing the E350 just comes with a "standard" AM/FM radio (or none) and the motorhome MFGs put in a decent radio with a screen for back-up and side view cameras etc. Mine is a Sony. Often “standard” radios do not use an always on 12v, not much to maintain in them.

The Entrada is a Forest River product I was just wondering if it is common for these to not have the 12v always on hooked up? Has anyone else fixed this issue? Wondering if the always on 12v is in the standard radio harness and mine didn’t get hooked up, or if maybe they blew the fuse hooking it up, I didn’t notice any fuses blown though. If I get a chance this weekend, I will probably pull the radio and check this out. Just wanted to reach out and see if I can find any advice before hand. Appreciate any feedback.
articcatbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:28 AM   #2

Check to see if the "always on" wire is connected to the proper part of the fuse block. It's not uncommon for an installer to connect it to the "ACC" section of a fuse block which is on only when key is on (either ACC or IGN position).

The "Always ON" section is connected directly to the battery.

It's an easy mistake to make if one doesn't properly check to see which is which using a test light and turning key on-off.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Check to see if the "always on" wire is connected to the proper part of the fuse block. It's not uncommon for an installer to connect it to the "ACC" section of a fuse block which is on only when key is on (either ACC or IGN position).

The "Always ON" section is connected directly to the battery.

It's an easy mistake to make if one doesn't properly check to see which is which using a test light and turning key on-off.
Winner winner chicken dinner. You were right, they had them reversed, not at the fuse box though, right behind the radio. I pulled the radio out tonight and the Yellow is connected to ACC and the red is connected to Always hot. I checked them with my multi-meter and they appear to be switched.

I didn't try to fix it tonight, need to disconnect the battery etc, and after a day at work, better to wait and re-check everything when I am fresher. Probably switch it up on Sunday.

So "looks" like an easy fix, I will report back later with picture in case it helps someone else.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-06-2022, 05:21 PM   #4

So I got the time today to fix this issue and all is good, the radio is holding it's settings when powered off. It was an easy fix I just needed to swap 2 wires behind the stereo on the motorhome.

If you look at the picture the white wire marked with the red electrical tape is the always on hot wire. They have it hooked to the red wire from the stereo. The wire on the right that has the blue tracer is connected to the yellow wire from the stereo that should be alway powered on. That wire works off the key so it powers on when the key is turned So the fix was to switch the yellow and red wires and all is good. Stereo comes on when you turn the key.

The Yellow needs to go to the always on hot, the red to the Key ACC wire that comes on with the key is turned on. So I switched those wires and everything is working as it should.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221106_181323116.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	281336  
Old 11-06-2022, 05:40 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Excellent news, and your fix makes things right.

On the assembly line……they had a 50/50 chance if they don’t know what they’re doing.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio