Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #1

1 year in Peoria Illinois apartment vs RV

one bed room apartment cost $535 /month utility not included
RV park rent $525 / month all bills paid.

Counting the RV propane cost in the picture, which option would be cheaper for me to live in Peoria Illinois for 1 year ?
Even if the cost is the same, I prefer RV option because I don't have to haul furniture in and out of one bed room apartment
Can you please share your opinoin ?
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #2

You would still have to haul stuff to setup your camper for winter survival. That kind of camping is a brave new world... Good luck.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

For me it would depend on the safety of the two areas. An apartment for that price here would not be in a great neighborhood. On the other hand, winterizing for that amount of cold and propane costs would cause me to take pause. Good luck with your decision.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:47 AM   #4

I have seen many who RV full time do a split year. 8 months or so in the RV in a CG with a cabin type rental that is good for any season. The cold months in the cabin. Seems to work for CG owner and RV owner. You could look for a place with a cabin type rental and see if they do this, or willing to think about it.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #5

can winter propane cost be minimized with using space heater ?
Do campground limit the electricity usage usually ?
Old 03-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
can winter propane cost be minimized with using space heater ?
Do campground limit the electricity usage usually ?
It is not as simple as just adding a space heater. You need to keep your water lines from freezing. Thus you would be running your furnace 24/7 and perhaps need skirting around the camper.

"Limit the electricity usage" Doubt they limit it but would charge you for higher usage.

You should go to Peoria campgrounds and see the setups that the fulltimers have, skirting and propane bottles the size of a small cars, etc.

Peoria gets pretty darn cold...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #7

Like Wobbles said, "Peoria gets pretty darn cold..." Keep in mind many parks in the upper midwest shut the water off and drain the spigots to prevent freezing damage. And you'll be using and paying for alot of electricity for the space heater. Next thing to consider is does the park plow the roads during the winter so you can get in/out? For pure winter comfort alone I'd go with the apartment.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #8

Another point is can you even find a campground that is even open year round near Peoria IL. I know a lot of them are closed from late Oct to early April near the Peoria area. Have you looked for one that is open during that time frame.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #9

I was faced with a similar choice years ago. Was having a house built near Denver and needed temp housing.

All the apartments that rented for less than $1k per mo plus utilities were in areas you pretty much needed to be armed to walk around safely.

I found a nice mobile home/r.v. park for $300 /no including cable and up to $30 electricity included.

Winterizing cost me a little over $100 for heat tape on water line, some poly sheeting for skirting, and enough wood to build a cover for the hydrant.

LPG supplier dropped off a rental propane tank that sat in front of the tongue. Supplier kept it full and my monthly propane bill was around $50/no at coldest part of winter.

Wasn't bad, just had to get used to the furnace running all the time and the giant icicles that form on the outside of trailer.

If windy, put some straw bales in large contractor cleanup bags and tape closed with duct tape. Use bagged bales to close off gap between ground and trailer. The bales will trap heat that normally would be wasted and help keep tanks/piping from freezing.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #10

Winter would be the only problem for me. Our RV just does not keep very warm. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #11

Just look at the wind & snow in Peoria this weekend...in March. I would do the apartment.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #12

Righ.. it is snowy now in Peoria. I'm inside my Salem Cruise lite 195BH with just using space heater. It seems to be fine and comfy without running propane.
Of course this is just 30 degree, so I maybe OK. Not sure when the temperature drop to single digit, if the space heater is enough or not.
I drop anti freeze to my black tank, and just open up the grey tank valve.
I am using heated water hose,
Old 03-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #13

I don't live in Peoria, but I do live in Northern IL. I also spent a winter in Bloomington, IL a few years back (in an apt.) Peoria is just a bit NW from there - about an hour's drive.

Re: Bloomington - it did get pretty cold during the height of winter. But it was definitely milder than where I live (near WI border). What surprised me was *how* much warmer it was than upstate, on an average daily basis (I spent most of that winter in nothing heavier than a barn coat). I think we had a warmer-than-normal winter that year; not sure. Very little in the way of snow, too.

That being said, you definitely would have to protect the pipes from freezing, and I'd go with the hay bale suggestion rather than 'just' skirting.

Check w/ the park owner to find out the things mentioned previously - are they open year-round, do they cut the water off during winter, etc. It may be a moot point.

My rent in Bloomington was about $650/mo, IIRC, for a studio. Was just 'me', and I commuted back home most weekends. The neighborhood was fine - I felt safe. But it was a newer development near a major company (so most of the renters were people working for that company in some capacity, and therefore no $ problems)

If you rent in Peoria, I'd try and find something near a company like Caterpillar, etc. But scout the neighborhood out, of course.

The other thing is where you reside, per your profile. If you've been acclimated to TX for a long time, Illinois winters are going to seem *especially* cold for you, unless you're in the far southern tip of the state. Buy your 'heavy' winter coat up here, rather than in TX.

We use a minimum of R15 in the walls of our homes in IL, and R18 on our roofs, to give you some idea. Nothing like the guy on YT who wintered in -30F in N. Dakota chasing Bakken oil $$$$$, but it gets cold (if you want to see what *not* to do when wintering in an RV, check out his videos.)

Good luck, whichever way you go. I think I'd probably go with the apartment (but I'm new to RV'ing and have never wintered in one.)
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #14
jammer 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
one bed room apartment cost $535 /month utility not included
RV park rent $525 / month all bills paid.

Counting the RV propane cost in the picture, which option would be cheaper for me to live in Peoria Illinois for 1 year ?
Even if the cost is the same, I prefer RV option because I don't have to haul furniture in and out of one bed room apartment
Can you please share your opinoin ?
Been There done that in St Louis. Learned propane isn’t that expensive when you get 100 gal tank. They come fill it once a month. The neighbor where park is located is very important. Don’t want to live where theivery is going on. Make sure you’re not in a flood plane. Running water will freeze buy heattape and insulation for the water lines and you’ll be ok. With an apartment you usually have to sign a lease for a year if it’s a downer you’re stuck. Wintering in an RV is kind of fun. Good luck with your decision
rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #15

I lived in Yogi Bear Jellystone in Goodfield gor 2.5 years when iwas working up there. CG in Peoria was nice but also flooded then. Goodfield is convenient to Peoria and Bruce & Kathy are great owners. Lots of weekend activities. 9Hole golf course in Eureka just down the road and Ill State has a great course. Eureka is where Ronald Regan went to college. Golds Gym in Peoria and Bloomington are great. Restaurants are really good and the people ther are some of the nicest you will ever meet. Does get very cold so prepare your RV with skirting and heated wrapped hose for water. Can get very windy. I hauled sand bags and salt bags in the truck bed during winter.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #16
Charlie & Sue

1 Year In Peoria Illinois Apartment Vs RV

As a full-timer we have only wintered in the deep south, but talked to a number of people who have done so in Canada. One couple involved in pipeline maintenance spent a winter in Fort St. John, BC where it gets down to -40 and lower. He had a 5th wheel that had a winter package and small windows. He had quilted vinyl skirting installed and backed that up with 2 inch foam panels that he held together at the corners with welding rods. The panels were recessed a couple of inches in the ground that helped keep them in place. Underneath the unit on the ground he placed a small ceramic heater operating on a thermostat. That kept the floor comfy. He had power and sewer but not sure of the water side. If you have a sewer hose outside of the protected underbelly recommend using a heat tape placed along the underside of the hose, and wrap the hose with weather protected insulation material otherwise some say that the flowing of liquids will gradually freeze and the sewer hose will need to be thawed out at some point assuming you leave the grey tank(s) valve open.

Coming back from the south in the spring I have seen some make a temporary vestibule at the entry door to minimize heat loss using plastic sheeting over a wooden frame. Others that have poor insulation at the slides, have installed foam panels on the sides, top and bottom held into place by strapping secured to each other on all 4 sides. Where the panels meet install red tape.

It all depends to what extent you want to go to be comfortable. Good luck with whatever you decide.
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #17

Some Pics of Bloomington and Goodfield in Winter.
Lots of fun and a challenge. Get your 100# LP tank. Wrap your hose with heat tape and then pipe insulation, skirt your RV with foam insulation and plywood that is secured to guard against the wind. I saw tractor trailer trucks blown off the road and turned over due to hte wind and ice. Keep food, salt, sand, shovel, candle and water in your car. The water will freeze while ou are at work so take in in with you. If you break down, never leave your vehicle. Call for help on your phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter In ILL 10.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	166060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter In ILL 12.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	166061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter in ILL 13.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	166062   Click image for larger version

Name:	State Farm 4.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	166063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter In ILL 2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	166064  

Click image for larger version

Name:	State Farm 5.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	166065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter In ILL 3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	166066  
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Why not buy my Thousand trails campground membership and camp in full service campgrounds for the whole year for as little as $5.00 per day. The annual dues are one months rent and you would be saving yourself over $6000.00 in apartment rental. Just sayin. Vern
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #19

I lived for 2 yrs in a Maryland campground. Have to heat tape water and sewer line, put skirting around bottom, electric heater underneath once you figure out what freezes. Used propane furnace and electric heater. Once you figure it all out, no worse than a house.
rgchrishunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:19 PM   #20

May not work

Campgrounds near us, charge for electric if you stay more than 1 month. Also some states have laws (like N.J.) that say you can't live in your camper for a full year in the same place. Lastly lots of campgrounds close during winter to protect their water lines. Your idea sounds good but you need to check everything out.