Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2022, 09:49 AM   #121

Castle Rock stock tires - safe and reliable, or should I be concerned?
Better half is on a couple 178BHSK groups on Facebook, and I kind of wish I had never looked at it. Some folks mention problems with the stock tires. I am trying to not fall down that rabbit hole on FB, but I also want to take prudent actions where they are legitimately needed, to protect our safety and the travel trailer. Only had the camper 8 months, and ~6 of those it's been winterized sitting in the driveway. Wondering how the stock tires have fared for this group?
Old 05-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInPA View Post
Better half is on a couple 178BHSK groups on Facebook, and I kind of wish I had never looked at it. Some folks mention problems with the stock tires. I am trying to not fall down that rabbit hole on FB, but I also want to take prudent actions where they are legitimately needed, to protect our safety and the travel trailer. Only had the camper 8 months, and ~6 of those it's been winterized sitting in the driveway. Wondering how the stock tires have fared for this group?
Am using Castle Rock on my Salem FSX 177 Bunk House, because that is what this new camper had at purchase. No issues (yet) after 12 trips.

When time comes to replace, will use Trailer King as have used those for decades on my other "toys".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-04-11 Jack Hill SP 04 #23.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	272469  

2021 Forest River "Salem" FSX 177BH
2022 Ford F-150 XL 5.0 Liter V8, Tow Package, 400HP 410lbs Torque, 2WD, 3.31 Locking Rear End, Super Crew Cab, Vinyl Floors, Factory Steel Wheels, Iconic Silver
"Keep Calm and Take Them to the Train Station"
HistoricMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:41 PM   #123

Quote:

Mine came with TAMERACK tires. Never had heard of them. So far so good, they are “D” rated and speed rated at 81 mph, which they’ll never see on my trailer.
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:45 AM   #124

Axle grease - dealer told me on the phone this has to be done carefully or could blow out the grease seals. I’ve never done this before. Probably about 1100 miles on the camper since we got it last July. Do have some much longer trips planned this season. Anyone done this yet, and if so would you be willing to give instructions and exact materials needed that even a moron like me can understand?
Old 05-07-2022, 12:22 PM   #125

Leaks on 2022 model

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and also new to owning a trailer. Picked up my 178BHSK in March and have leaks already. First time it rained I thought I had just messed up and not closed the slide in all the way. The other hand full of times It leaked I spent trying to figure out where it’s coming from. I found that the sealant on the siding and trim on the outside of the slide was crack, so I sealed it. I am still having water coming in through the storage of the dinette on the right side (forward side) of TT. I have just found a new leak spot today. The outlet cover labeled “wifi prepped” has a leak coming out of the screw holes. I will definitely be sealing that up as soon as the rain stops. Any other problem areas people are finding? Would like to take care of this now. The dealer, Leo’s Vacation Center in MD, is no help. Have not returned my calls and e-mails. I expected to have to reseal and do maintenance, but not so much and so soon. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Akeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:15 PM   #126

Honestly, for a brand new trailer any leaking is unacceptable. Who knows what wood rot or other issues could already be at risk. Of course, a warranty claim and wait for satisfaction on repairs or even a replacement could possibly cost you the whole season. But I don’t care what the manufacturer says about how frequently for checking seals and roof, this many leak issues this soon seems like a giant flashing siren. I would contact Forest River with a complete list of the issues and see what they say. I don’t want to jinx things, but our Salem FSX 178BHSK built last summer and received last July has been overall no real issues. Rear outside shower door cover is a little warped, but I replaced it and the new one did the exact same thing, so I give up. My dealer was a bit disappointing, too. More than want to detail here, but there were some issues before and after we drove the camper off the lot. Keep us posted. Also, I don’t do Facebook, but my better half does and there are a couple big groups there for 178BHSK/X owners with more content and helpful folks than you can imagine. And the mods people are doing are amazing.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:07 PM   #127

My first dewinterizing went ok. Flushing lines was pretty basic common sense steps. Once was sure lines were clean, I forgot there were two bypasses under the kitchen sink for the water heater. Opened the hot one with city water connected and ran the water heater for maybe 10 mins before realizing cold valve was still closed. Pretty sure I was heating it empty all that time, dang it. System did seem to work after I had both valves open for a while, then allowed 20 mins for water to heat up. The FR winterize video on page 4 said to replace the anode rod after draining the tank, as long as it looked good. I did that and then checked it today and it had deteriorated a lot where rod connects to the threaded end, so I replaced it. Not sure why it deteriorated in an empty water heater.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #128

Quote:
Honestly, for a brand new trailer any leaking is unacceptable. Who knows what wood rot or other issues could already be at risk. Of course, a warranty claim and wait for satisfaction on repairs or even a replacement could possibly cost you the whole season. But I don’t care what the manufacturer says about how frequently for checking seals and roof, this many leak issues this soon seems like a giant flashing siren. I would contact Forest River with a complete list of the issues and see what they say. I don’t want to jinx things, but our Salem FSX 178BHSK built last summer and received last July has been overall no real issues. Rear outside shower door cover is a little warped, but I replaced it and the new one did the exact same thing, so I give up. My dealer was a bit disappointing, too. More than want to detail here, but there were some issues before and after we drove the camper off the lot. Keep us posted. Also, I don’t do Facebook, but my better half does and there are a couple big groups there for 178BHSK/X owners with more content and helpful folks than you can imagine. And the mods people are doing are amazing.
I have been worried about warping from all the water. I already had to shift the trip piece on the bottom the slide up a quarter inch because it was touching the floor when closed. I don’t remember it doing that when I drove it off the lot. Should I try to go through forest river directly? I tried contacting the dealership again yesterday. I was able to talk to their main office administrator and when directed to service it went straight to voicemail.
Akeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:48 PM   #129

I would do both. Keep on your dealer but also hit up Forest River.
Here is a guy at FR I spoke with last year.
Mike Wright
mwright@forestriverinc.com
Salem FSX Southeast Region
574-862-2649
Old 05-15-2022, 03:09 PM   #130

Cool find. Storage ottoman. When empty, box portion collapses flat, lid and collapsed base about the size of one of the sofa or dinette cushions. When open to a box, holds a decent bit. Two large comforters or a ton of towels or clothes. Color matches the 178BHSK cyber cushions pretty dang closely. Makes a perfect foot rest in front of the sofa. Bonus: with bed down and a few sofa and dinette cushions on top of the ottoman, you can sleep front-to-back instead of right to left on the bed without building an extension on to the mattress platform board.

https://www.amazon.com/Otto-Ben-30-S...p_s_a_1_1_sspa
JoeInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:49 AM   #131

2022 178bhsk/x

Been hearing the newest 178BHSK models are coming with pass-through front storage doors, the outdoor griddle and fridge positions swapped, and for some reason, a second “jiffy bed” built into the sofa bench ***which would be unusable with the actual Murphy bed folded down***. So at least for the outdoor kitchen and the storage doors, it looks like FR is listening to owners.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:08 AM   #132

178BHSKX '21 - New Member ?'s

I installed this the other day so the AC will not run constantly. It has the “auto” setting so only turn the fan on when the compressor is running like one would with a T-stat. So far I’m loving it.. Plus one can control it lazily from a smartphone or tablet..

Name:	IMG_3024.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	273998
Old 05-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
I installed this the other day so the AC will not run constantly. It has the “auto” setting so only turn the fan on when the compressor is running like one would with a T-stat. So far I’m loving it.. Plus one can control it lazily from a smartphone or tablet..
Would you mind sharing the make and model of that ac? Looks like a great ac with features we'd like to have.
edit. Nevermind. I found it. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Rvp-C...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi
Old 05-27-2022, 11:43 AM   #134

Got two of these stabilizers. One under rear bumper and one under the stair housing adds a very noticeable reduction in bouncing when walking in the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-0201.../dp/B001UGJPXQ
Old 05-27-2022, 07:17 PM   #135

Quote:
Got two of these stabilizers. One under rear bumper and one under the stair housing adds a very noticeable reduction in bouncing when walking in the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-0201.../dp/B001UGJPXQ

Yes sir,, those help tremendously. I got those last year for ours as we have a 13 year old earthquake errr grandson that goes with most times…
Old 05-27-2022, 07:18 PM   #136

178BHSKX '21 - New Member ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Would you mind sharing the make and model of that ac? Looks like a great ac with features we'd like to have.
edit. Nevermind. I found it. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Rvp-C...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi

Sorry I didn’t see you responded till just now…
So far I love it and works great… but dang, just noticed the price went up like $80 since last week…. Wait and it will probably come back down to around $300
Old 05-27-2022, 09:44 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by :D:Ddsjohns71 View Post
Yes sir,, those help tremendously. I got those last year for ours as we have a 13 year old earthquake errr grandson that goes with most times…
Old 06-10-2022, 03:06 PM   #138

FYI, if you travel with kids or other guests and are looking for an easy privacy solution for the main bed, this curtain rod fits the full trailer width, is substantial enough to hold 4 lbs. of curtains, and is fairly attractive. We got the brushed nickel. Fits just to the left of the entry/exit door and just before the slide out. Suction cups add strength to the tension rod. You can use a floor length curtain or one that stops just lower than the mattress.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D99TVDH
Old 07-12-2022, 11:21 AM   #139

AP door install

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
Added a window. It was pretty easy.. bought the LCI slim shade door window. Came with a template too. Just center it where you want it and use template to draw on door,used blue painters tape all around the outside of pencil lines and drill 1/4” hole and used a new sharp jig saw blade made for metal.. worked perfect… love being able to see out of the door..

Edit: it is a AP Products slim shade window kit not the LCI. Bought it on Amazon. $73.
Thank you dsjohns71 for this suggestion. I just completed the project successfully and love the additional light it adds to the interior. For anyone also contemplating this project, I wanted to add a couple of items I found helpful. This Michael Bracewell youtube video was the best one I found to walk you through what to expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=N0meFIAXNS0

I used a T118A jigsaw blade (I am NO expert, just letting you know I used it to open the hole in the door and believe it worked cleanly/adequately). And definitely recommend you use a square sq#2 bit to remove the screen and entry door (rather than any type of phillips head) from the hinges. I saw one youtube video where the installer cut the opening in the door without removing it from the trailer. He seemed to do it successfully (while on a ladder!). That was a bit too risky for me. I took the entry door (and screen door) off.
Thank you again djohns71 - great suggestion.
-Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	276330   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	276331  
fuhze is offline   Reply With Quote