Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darron227 View Post
We are new owners of the 178BHSKX and just got back from a week in Arkansas. I too noticed that the griddle doesn't "lock" in place. Have you taken any means to remedy this? Thanks for the other info on the slide topper. We will be adding this as well.
The griddle does not lock, but when the propane hose is connected, it prevents the drawer from closing...
Old 04-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Has anyone used the Furrion solar plug? I don't see that it is wired to my battery at all. ???
typically a solar panel connects to a solar controller that then connects to the battery...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:40 PM   #23

I haven’t used the solar panel plug yet.We got ours back in December and haven’t used it yet because of the weather here in Michigan.I did mount a 24 inch tv and a toilet paper holder lol.Next job is get the slide topper.We have a bunch of trips planned this year and can’t wait to use it.I did see the dealer we bought ours from has upped the price on them by 3k so I am glad I bought ours when we did.
Bigguy215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:59 PM   #24

New member - first camper purchase

We just ordered a 178BHSK, which we're told should be delivered in about 8 weeks. We have had some runaround from various dealers, and last-moment price hikes of $2-3,000 from the originally promised price, but the current dealer has promised to honor his advertised price, and the deposit is fully refundable. I have been viewing online videos and web posts, trying to start the learning curve as a first-time travel trailer owner. We looked at a lot of models, and the latest upgrades on this model really impressed us in-person. I know it is a low price point model, so I just hope it doesn't have too many problems brand new, or over the years. We are empty-nesters, and most of our trips will be just the two of us, so the lack of a private bedroom is not a big deal. If we do take the grandkids with us for a weekend, I figure I can work up a drape across the main bed area, for minimal privacy.
From what I have seen so far online, I'm going to need some essential items before we take our first trip (in addition to the basic things taken on any camping trip).
For those with experience, please let me know if I've missed anything important - thank you!

- Electronic brake control installed in the truck cab for the trailer brakes.
- Water hose fitting (brass), with pressure regulator
- 2 or 3 non-kinking water hoses (25-50' each)
- Shore power connectors with surge protection (possibly different ones for varying amps?)
- Accordion-type poop hose thing and elbows, etc, to empty the black water tank (and chemicals for the tank, and disposable gloves)
- Plastic bracket/stand that goes between the ground and the poop hose thing.
- Correct size lug nut wrench for the trailer wheels.
- Wheel chocks and some 2x8 wood planks for leveling the trailer.
- Batteries, and possibly a rack to mount them on the hitch behind the propane tank.
- Generator to charge the batteries / power the trailer.
- Sway bars, etc., for the hitch.
- Ladder to access the roof in case of leaks, damage, etc.
JoeInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #25

Further back I posted the rack we purchased for our 3800 Wen generator and 2.5 gal fuel can. It would easily hold a 2000watt generator and extra battery. I also run our gas line for our griddle through the floor right beside the ground without having to drill another hole. I replaced the bathroom faucet as the factory one was extremely awkward to use, you will know what I mean when you wash your hands lol and I would highly recommend getting some brass quick connects and the brass 90 degree connections for the water and black tank and the green 2 part water filter setup. After the 6 of us spending a little over 3 weeks in ours we don’t have any complaints.

P.S. I can email any pictures if needed, just PM me.
Arthur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInPA View Post
For those with experience, please let me know if I've missed anything important - thank you!

- Electronic brake control installed in the truck cab for the trailer brakes.
- Water hose fitting (brass), with pressure regulator
- 2 or 3 non-kinking water hoses (25-50' each)
- Shore power connectors with surge protection (possibly different ones for varying amps?)
- Accordion-type poop hose thing and elbows, etc, to empty the black water tank (and chemicals for the tank, and disposable gloves)
- Plastic bracket/stand that goes between the ground and the poop hose thing.
- Correct size lug nut wrench for the trailer wheels.
- Wheel chocks and some 2x8 wood planks for leveling the trailer.
- Batteries, and possibly a rack to mount them on the hitch behind the propane tank.
- Generator to charge the batteries / power the trailer.
- Sway bars, etc., for the hitch.
- Ladder to access the roof in case of leaks, damage, etc.
Welcome to the RV world, FRForum, and to the 178BHSK group.

Hate to turn this thread into a camping list of things needed since there are tons out there already. Sounds like you have done a lot of research. Kudos to you. I bought the Bluetooth brake controller, which I have not tried out yet.

As for the trailer, mine (purchased a couple of weeks ago) came with one battery and spare so you may not have to purchase that immediately so check with your dealer to see what is included.

The dealer I bought mine from in AL said he was sold out of these until Oct and there was a wait list.

Here is a link for searching the forum for our trailer that should cover both the 178BHSK/178BHSKX: Forum Model Search
Old 05-17-2021, 06:34 PM   #27

Trying to balance optimism with not getting hopes up too high, only to see them dashed. Dealer today said they have been promised a manufacturing completion date for our Salem FSX 178BHSK. It’s 90 days from today. No VIN yet, but dealer said this is good, and they’ve yet to be burned by the mfgr once getting this info. Still waiting for VIN before buying any high price accessories, but hoping this means things are looking positive.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Trying to balance optimism with not getting hopes up too high, only to see them dashed. Dealer today said they have been promised a manufacturing completion date for our Salem FSX 178BHSK. It’s 90 days from today. No VIN yet, but dealer said this is good, and they’ve yet to be burned by the mfgr once getting this info. Still waiting for VIN before buying any high price accessories, but hoping this means things are looking positive.
I hope it gets completed earlier than expected. We plan on taking ours to the lake this weekend if the weather clears up. If I happen to think of anything else you might need I’ll let you know.
Arthur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darron227 View Post
Has anyone used the Furrion solar plug? I don't see that it is wired to my battery at all. ???
I bought the two pin plug on Amazon (search furion solar plug) and bought a cheap mppt solar controller and 100watt solar panel also on Amazon. Works great. I get 8amps In full sun. But if I were going to mount the panel to the roof, I would run wires down fridge vent and tie in to the red and white wires that are behind the fridge and are 12v to the battery. Open the fridge outside panel and you can easily see. I just store my panel in the pass through storage up high under the “rafters”.
MadMallard75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #30

How much was the total for the plug, controller and panel, part #s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMallard75 View Post
I bought the two pin plug on Amazon (search furion solar plug) and bought a cheap mppt solar controller and 100watt solar panel also on Amazon. Works great...
Old 05-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #31

Quote:
How much was the total for the plug, controller and panel, part #s?
SUNYIMA 60A MPPT Solar Charge Controller with LCD Display Dual USB Multiple Load Control Modes,New Mppt Technical Maximum Charging Current (60A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0894CTHCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BKSVT0DGYD0ZY4A136M0

Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel, Compact Design 42.4 X 20.0 X 1.38 in, High Efficiency Module PV Power for Battery Charging Boat, Caravan, RV and Any Other Off Grid Applications https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GF5JY35/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XK2Q9X0BX1NA2BXYVVP9

Extractme 10AWG 2 Pin Power Industrial Circular Connector to SAE Adpater Cable, Furion Solar Plug to SAE Connector, Fit for Furrion, Solar Panel Suitcase, Forrest River RV Ports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088RCN3Y7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_E7AJ9ARANVKZ53339TDS?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #32

Awesome. Thank you, MM75.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Awesome. Thank you, MM75.
Any time. I actually used similar setup to build my own home made goal zero with a battery and a small cooler. I used it a lot in overlanding to run a dometic fridge and charge things.

These cheap mppt controllers actual work well. There are a lot of options for solar panels. At that pay point they are all pretty much the same.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:09 PM   #34

One more thought: buy two plugs for the furion plug... you can get a female 12v cigarette lighter style plug and have access s to 12V DC. I use this to power my 12v air compressor. Its a long way to the TV cigarette lighter plug!!
Old 06-07-2021, 05:32 PM   #35

Just picked up the Wen 3800 from Lowe’s. $800 out the door, after tax. Will report on it hopefully late this summer.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur3 View Post
We bought the Stromberg Carlson CC-255 Trailer Tongue Cargo Carrier for the generator
Do you haul the generator in your truck bed during travel, then move it to the rack once you’re parked, or keep it secured to the rack all the time during travel? Seems like leaving it there might be an issue for the generator as far as blowing rain, as well as a lot of lateral stress on the rack frame.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #37

Also, even with this being a quiet generator, that shelf places it directly on the other side of the wall from the main bed of the camper. Isn’t it at least a little noisy at night in bed?
Old 06-12-2021, 05:31 AM   #38

Quote:
Just picked up the Wen 3800 from Lowe’s. $800 out the door, after tax. Will report on it hopefully late this summer.
Nice. Great choice. I have the WEN 56225i which is only rated at 2250, but with solar and a Softstart or Easystart on the HVAC, it won't be in issue.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:59 AM   #39

Does anyone have a rain sensing roof vent in their trailer? Any thoughts? I am looking to order one soon. It really comes down to the Fantastic or the Hike Crew from my research. Wanting it to automatically open and close so it will keep the trailer cooler while we are hiking or away.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #40

Bunk Weight Rating

I know this is a little off the subject, but it directly applies to the camper you folks have. My wife and I are looking at this exact model, a 178BHSK since we love the double over double bunks in a trailer this size. However, I’m nervous about the weight limits. I know my two kids would fit fine, but can an adult use the bunks? Does anyone know the weight limit of each bunk? Thanks! Andy
McMullap is offline   Reply With Quote