Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2021, 04:42 AM   #41

I am not sure on the weight but my son is 6 foot and he sleeps on the top bunk and he hasn’t complained about it.But then again he is only 17 lol.
Bigguy215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #42

We are at a campground this weekend and another site has the new 2021 Cyber FSX 178BHSK, and slept 5 people in it with room to spare. I met the ladies who slept in the top and bottom bunks, and they were healthy sized adults. No issue at all there. But they did say to DEFINITELY bring a little step stool or step ladder.
JoeInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #43

(also) the owner has had it since March and has nothing but positive things to say about it. She absolutely loves it. Makes me feel very good about the decision.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #44

Got the call from our dealer today that our trailer was delivered. They still need to do the dealer prep, cleaning, install the options we ordered, but we went down anyway to visit the trailer, get pics, and did a preliminary walk-through. Only a few minor fit-and-finish things, which the sales guy said would likely all have been caught and addressed during their dealer prep, but still glad we pointed the things out now, so hopefully we can take it straight away when we go back next week. As of July 5th, we were told it wouldn’t be delivered to the dealer until August 15th. We have one definite camping trip before Aug 15 that we had resigned ourselves to tent-camping, so this was a huge and welcome surprise. I can’t find a way to post pics without uploading them to a hosting site, but everyone here knows what a new 178BHSK w/ cyber interior looks like.
...now I just have to get it backed into the driveway. Throw a small prayer our way for that one, please! :-)
Old 07-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #45

We got it home!
https://ibb.co/DwX9kXC
Old 07-21-2021, 09:05 PM   #46

Sat down tonight to read the owner's manual for the Salem FSX 178BHSK. Opened the nifty Forest River fake leather zipper pouch, and removed all the contents. Plenty of separate leaflets for the major subsystems, from the mfgrs of those individual components (microwave, stove top, griddle, furnace, water heater, toilet, etc.) Read 'em all. Figured I'd missed something, so looked in the pouch again. Nada.. zip.. zilch... There was nothing from Forest River in the way of an actual Owner's Manual for the travel trailer. Every new car I have bought (several for less $ new than this trailer, over the years) had an owner's manual from the car company; they didn't fill the glove compartment with separate instruction leaflets from every OEM component manufacturer. Is this "normal" for Forest River? Did any of you get an owner's manual?
Old 07-21-2021, 09:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInPA View Post
. There was nothing from Forest River in the way of an actual Owner's Manual for the travel trailer.
Is this "normal" for Forest River? Did any of you get an owner's manual?
Yes, it's normal. Forest River has online manuals and videos here:
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/owners
Old 07-21-2021, 10:29 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInPA View Post
Sat down tonight to read the owner's manual for the Salem FSX 178BHSK. Opened the nifty Forest River fake leather zipper pouch, and removed all the contents. Plenty of separate leaflets for the major subsystems, from the mfgrs of those individual components (microwave, stove top, griddle, furnace, water heater, toilet, etc.) Read 'em all. Figured I'd missed something, so looked in the pouch again. Nada.. zip.. zilch... There was nothing from Forest River in the way of an actual Owner's Manual for the travel trailer. Every new car I have bought (several for less $ new than this trailer, over the years) had an owner's manual from the car company; they didn't fill the glove compartment with separate instruction leaflets from every OEM component manufacturer. Is this "normal" for Forest River? Did any of you get an owner's manual?
The RV Industry, as a whole, only provides a generic owners manual with no model-specific nor brand-specific information.
It has been the RV Industry standard for at least 20 years.
You need to forget about comparing the RV Industry with the Auto Industry. They have nearly nothing in common, other than selling things with wheels at dealerships.
Is this your first RV?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Is this your first RV?
Yes sir, and only owned it since Tuesday. Steep learning curve...
Old 07-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #50

Anyone able to estimate about how long the inside all-electric fridge (not the freezer section) will keep things cool with its power off but the door latched? Bondocking and will be times we are out doing stuff where we can’t leave the generator running - and would not want to leave an unattended generator running anyway, for that matter.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #51

Quote:
Anyone able to estimate about how long the inside all-electric fridge (not the freezer section) will keep things cool with its power off but the door latched? Bondocking and will be times we are out doing stuff where we can’t leave the generator running - and would not want to leave an unattended generator running anyway, for that matter.
not knowing the the actual model of the 12V fridge that you have and USUALLY the dealer only gives you the minimal Marine/RV group 24 battery which does not have much power capacity, plus how much do you have in the fridge ( more stuff is better) and how often you open the door and what is the ambient outside temp???

So anywhere from 12 hours to 3 days is your answer.

Can you park it in the driveway?

DO some of your own investigation before taking it out boondocking and learn from your own observation the answer to this question.

You will probably want to add battery capacity ( another battery) at the very least and possibly solar if you can get good sun where you camp.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:14 PM   #52

Came up with a good workaround. Keep bags of ice in the fridge’s freezer section. Move them and perishables to a cooler for times we are away and don’t want to leave the fridge on with the generator off. We are good to go!
Old 07-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #53
Bearly Camping

I bought a 32 inch for mine and installed a roku wifi speaker to it.
wandrews67060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #54

Love our new camper!

Just got our new 2021.5 178BHK May 19th and we love it! We've been boondocking twice, twice with hookups, and once with electric in my sister's backyard in the Poconos At one rainy festival we had 5 adults in the camper and there was plenty of room for sleeping and around the table - pretty impressive!

I added a second 12V battery and a 12V outlet to the outdoor kitchen for a 1 cubic ft small refrigerator. We found that the big fridge drained the battery in 1.5 days even with a 100 watt solar panel. The fridge I got is 65 watts, so hoping that will last 3 or 4 days

One issue we've had is with the fresh water tank bulging and pushing out the under carriage cover. It's only 3/4 full too. I have it at the dealer now and they are checking with Forest River to see if they should replace the tank and add more supports, or if more supports will be enough. I'll keep you posted

If you haven't filled your fresh tank yet, I would give it a try to see what happens - start with 1/2 full at first and fill it slowly.

Enjoy the rest of your summer - I can't believe it's August already!

Peggy
peggyann1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggyann1974 View Post
One issue we've had is with the fresh water tank bulging and pushing out the under carriage cover. It's only 3/4 full too. I have it at the dealer now and they are checking with Forest River to see if they should replace the tank and add more supports, or if more supports will be enough. I'll keep you posted
-Peggy

Need to check this! We've done three trips, so far. Camper was ready the Monday after Briggs, even though they originally told us it would not be delivered until Aug. 15th. Already done three weekends; boondocking at two music festivals, and this weekend just ending today, a campground with a pull-through space w/water, sewer and electric (wow, what a difference). The first trip, we filled the fresh tank before leaving home, the 2nd, we filled it about 10 miles from the festival grounds. Both trips, we drove about 40 miles to dump stations with the fresh partly full and the black/gray tanks probably 1/2 full each. I did not notice any tank issues, but will fill fresh tank this week in the driveway and look closely to see what's up. If needed, will have additional angle iron supports welded in place.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMullap View Post
I know this is a little off the subject, but it directly applies to the camper you folks have. My wife and I are looking at this exact model, a 178BHSK since we love the double over double bunks in a trailer this size. However, I’m nervous about the weight limits. I know my two kids would fit fine, but can an adult use the bunks? Does anyone know the weight limit of each bunk? Thanks! Andy
Bunks in our FSX 177BH.........no problem with weight of adults/grandkids so far.

2021 Forest River "Salem" FSX 177BH
2022 Ford F-150 XL 5.0 Liter V8, Tow Package, 400HP 410lbs Torque, 2WD, 3.31 Locking Rear End, Super Crew Cab, Vinyl Floors, Factory Steel Wheels, Iconic Silver
"Keep Calm and Take Them to the Train Station"
HistoricMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:03 AM   #57
Fun-loving Fool

Love this thread

Okay, so I am pretty excited. We just bought ours (cyber 178bhskx) on the other side of the country and currently debating delivery or a roadtrip.

Love hearing all the prep people are doing and the positive reviews. And I would appreciate any follow ups you all might have now that you have been out on a few trips.

Anyone install a second propane tank and/or tank cover? Anyone buy any accessories they now regret?

And of course mostly I am posting to keep update on future posts to this thread.
alaskajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:58 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigguy215 View Post
We also just bought a 178 bhsk we pick it up next week.I was wondering if you found out what size tv works and what you used to mount if you have done so already.Also do all the 178’s come with the Bluetooth speaker thing?
We just picked ours up this week, and it did come standard with a Boss brand tubular Bluetooth speaker
Bdcjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajohn View Post
Okay, so I am pretty excited. We just bought ours (cyber 178bhskx) on the other side of the country and currently debating delivery or a roadtrip.

Love hearing all the prep people are doing and the positive reviews. And I would appreciate any follow ups you all might have now that you have been out on a few trips.

Anyone install a second propane tank and/or tank cover? Anyone buy any accessories they now regret?

And of course mostly I am posting to keep update on future posts to this thread.
Five trips, so far, and we love our trailer.

Have not added a 2nd tank or cover, but do carry a 2nd full tank in the truck to swap in, in case the onboard one runs dry.

No accessories we regret yet.
- What I regret is our dealer screwed us out of a slide-out awning. They promised they'd order it and it would be installed when we took delivery of the trailer, plus quoted us a very good price on it. Showed up and it wasn't on and they had blown off trying to order it, and of course when they did call, it was backordered so we'd have to drive the camper back there once it arrived and maybe or maybe not have to come back again to pick it up. It's at least 90 mins one-way there. Cherry on top is they said the price would be triple their original quote. So I told them to forget it. I'll have to order one from Amazon and install it myself. Let me tell you, it SUCKS lugging a ladder and leaf blower on every trip until I get that awning installed.
- Electric tongue jack is great - I would not want to be manually cranking that thing every time.
- Two batteries is also nice. Our dealer tried to only put in one, after initially promising us two for the quoted price. That one I insisted on, and it was installed while we were there signing the papers at delivery.
- After delivery, I added a backup camera that fits in the shark fin at the top-rear of the camper. I ordered the Yakry Y27 model, 1080p w/ 7" display from Amazon, as well as the rv mounting kit and the suction cup mount for the display in the truck. Fraction the price of the Furrion, fast to install, only "mod" needed was a few small radial slices in the hole in the rubber backing behind the shark fin, to fit the connector through from the camera's cable to the trailer's pre-wiring. I strongly recommend sealing the connector in electrical tape to keep it from separating, *and* tying a strong string to the aft end of the cable, past the connector and sealing that also under the tape, then letting a bit of the string extend out of the hole in the rubber seal so you can pull everything back out if needed later without risking the pre-wire cable disconnects behind that rubber seal when you pull on everything. Remember, the TV lights have to be set to at least parking lights on, and the 7-pin has to be connected to the TT, in order for the camera to work.
- Additional storage: The lady of the house added a couple of those shoe caddy things that are designed to hang over a door. We hang them from the top bunk (I don't trust the bathroom door hinges to support that much weight). Works quite handily for a lot of odds and ends.
- A step stool or step ladder is essential for adults accessing the top bunk. Kids can scramble up by stepping on the lower bunk, but I'm a hefty guy, so I would not want to try that. The only real reason I need to get up there is to reach the back window to open/close it, but that's a frequent thing with rain, etc..
- Added a 3" gel-foam mattress pad to the queen bed. Very much improved comfort.
- Swapped out the stock shower head for an Oxygenics 26488 BodySpa RV shower head. 1-minute installation, no tools - just hand-tighten it. Existing bracket will hold the upgraded shower head just fine. $37 on Amazon, and worth every cent. Better pressure, longer hose, looks nicer, too (not that I really care about that aspect).
- The shower curtain is a PITA. You really need to keep the ceiling vent open over the shower to prevent moisture buildup, and as soon as you do, that creates a suction pulling the shower curtain against your body while showering. I am trying a couple things to mitigate it (J-rods over the shower rod to the shower pan, inside the curtain, velcro dots on the edges) will post if I find something that works, but may need to retrofit an accordion door or other hard door solution.
- Ordering a matching bathroom sink faucet with a higher, goose neck spout. The stock faucet's spout is nearly against the back rim of the sink, and very low / nearly flush with the level of the sink's rim, making it awkward to wash your hands.

So far, we've only traveled as a couple, so privacy has not been an issue, and the bunks have been gigantic storage shelves. When we do take grandkids, will want to install a privacy drape at the end of the queen bed. Will probably just use a spring expansion rod, but I did recently see someone who mounted wooden squares with U cutouts in the tops to the opposing walls to hold a dowel-type curtain rod.

Did I mention we LOVE our Salem FSX 178BHSK ??
Old 09-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #60
Fun-loving Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTTravels View Post
We just picked our 2021 fsx 178bhsx last week and are also new here.

We added a battery cut off switch, and a solera slide topper to ours. If yours comes with the mount plates preinstalled for the topper it will only take about 30 mins to install the slide topper. Found it to be very easy to install.
For ordering the slideout cover, what is the length of the slideout? My trailer is in transit and I would like to order the solera cover to be here shortly after it arrives.
A link to exactly what you ordered would be awesome.
alaskajohn is offline   Reply With Quote