Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

Angry 2013/27RKSS Long term continuous use

I have been camping for quite a few years. Like most people a couple of days here, a week or two there. I have a rather unusual situation and would like to hear some feedback.

My daughter delivered a 2 lb. preemie while we were on vacation at a beach house in August. Problem is that the NICU unit where my grandson now resides is 400 miles from our homes. The baby won't be released from the hospital until his approximate due date around Thanksgiving. As a cost saving measure I towed my 27RKSS to a campground less than 5 miles from the hospital so that my daughter and son-in-law will have a comfortable and affordable place to live for the next few months while the little guy grows stronger.

Any opinions or experience with longer term living in this or any similar trailer. With reasonable care should I expect a viable product when I get it back or do you think I'll end up having to trade it in. Both my daughter and her husband are clean, considerate people so I know there won't be any abuse but the normal wear and tear of everyday living might take its toll......Any thoughts or opinions please.

Note: The location is in coastal S.C. so freezing will not be an issue
skacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skacatz View Post
I have been camping for quite a few years. Like most people a couple of days here, a week or two there. I have a rather unusual situation and would like to hear some feedback.

My daughter delivered a 2 lb. preemie while we were on vacation at a beach house in August. Problem is that the NICU unit where my grandson now resides is 400 miles from our homes. The baby won't be released from the hospital until his approximate due date around Thanksgiving. As a cost saving measure I towed my 27RKSS to a campground less than 5 miles from the hospital so that my daughter and son-in-law will have a comfortable and affordable place to live for the next few months while the little guy grows stronger.

Any opinions or experience with longer term living in this or any similar trailer. With reasonable care should I expect a viable product when I get it back or do you think I'll end up having to trade it in. Both my daughter and her husband are clean, considerate people so I know there won't be any abuse but the normal wear and tear of everyday living might take its toll......Any thoughts or opinions please.

Note: The location is in coastal S.C. so freezing will not be an issue
This time of year shouldn't be an issue. As long as they keep it well maintained (clean). Winter could be another issue. I'm currently living in my Hemi Lite and will be through out the winter, which will be a task.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Always Learning

First, much love to your family. My best wishes and thoughts are with you all.

Second, that kind of use is harder on the rig, but you shouldn't be able to tell a terrible difference. Little things will get worked harder- drawer slides, door hinges, drawers themselves. My kids are much rougher on the camper than my wife and I. But really, from that perspective- I spent $100 on new drawer slides and a few hours of my and my father-in-law's time.

The other thing that could happen is random water leaks. The camper not being moved should help minimize that. But basically have them be diligent in addressing any sightes of unexpected water. If it shows up, make sure someone takes a look ASAP. I've dealt with 4 or 5 water leaks now. One was a real PITA (the one-way check valve at the back of the water heater).

If they're not RVers, you/they may have a gray or blank tank surprise. Make sure they're not leaving the black tank open and do make sure they try to take time to flush the tanks.

Make sure someone (you or a mobile tech?) checks out the roof and seals sometime in October. Just as a precaution.

Actual systems have been working great for us fulltiming for almost 15 months now. Little quirks show up- for instance, my electric side of the water heater has decided to go kaput.

This is a wonderful thing that you can give them close by accommodations.

Again, good thoughts/juju/and well wishes to the baby and your whole family.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #4

We plan on visiting them at least every other weekend. I will check things out whenever I am there and alert my son-in-law to be on the lookout for anything unusual. They have an advantage in that they use the camper probably as much as I do all during the year, so they aren't new as to how things should work.

Thank you all so much for the kind thoughts and helpful information. I will keep you posted on my grandson's progress. BTW, his name is Cooper. We started a FB page called "Cooper's Chronicles" for anyone who would like to follow his progress.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #5

Update: Seems that Hurricane Matthew bearing down on the S. C. coast enabled my tiny grandson to be flown by air ambulance to a hospital closer to our home. They bugged out on short notice as the NICU unit was being evacuated. I drove down and picked up my camper and brought it back to Virginia just barely ahead of the storm. The camper held up very well after a month of continuous use, and my grandson is thriving. In fact he is up to 5 lbs. now. Thank God and we are looking forward to having him home for Thanksgiving.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #6

That is great news!!

And congrats grandpa!!
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags