Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2016, 02:33 AM   #1

2016 Hemisphere 356QB

Will hopefully pick or new camper up this weekend! Great deal on the new camper and great trade in on our old.

Couple questions:
1. Anyone use the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch? Comments?
2. Anyone with this model have a solution for a bike rack for a minimum of three bikes? Split rear bumper with a swing out grill.
3. Anyone moved the tv mount in the bunkhouse? Would like to move it so all bunks can see the tv.
4. What items should I look for during PDI?

Comments or suggestions welcome. This is our first 5th wheel! Looking forward to new adventures!

Thanks!
camplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #2

#4. Here's a link to a PDI checklist from the forum library you can download. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=112
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #3

I put two adult bikes on a bike rack that I installed on the ladder. Kids bikes still fit in back of truck.

Make sure you run the front landing gear and have them show you where the in line fuse is above landing gear in front compartment. Also have them explain where fuse box is behind wall in main storage compartment.

Check to make sure the wires under the kitchen are not being pinched when slide is run in. This will affect your lights in the outside kitchen and bunk above.

I have a 2015 and really like it.
bhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #4

I have not tried this one but have seen them. May be an option if you have a long bed truck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1453844349.049534.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	98422

Check the rear bathroom door does not run the frame on the bottom. It will chip the exterior off. It seems to be a common problem because the dealer has received 2 doors to replace mine and both damaged so they went to the lot to get one to fix mine and 2 of them had the same problem.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:13 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
I have not tried this one but have seen them. May be an option if you have a long bed truck.

Attachment 98422

Heh, that's my truck. That one worked one wonderfully for 1,200 miles and then I upgraded pin boxes. The new rack has 8-9,000 miles on it and is very similar to the original. I carry 3 bikes up there all the time.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 AM   #6

Take a good look up in the wheel wells...with a flashlight.

Look for something like this. Raw wood = No good.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Heh, that's my truck. That one worked one wonderfully for 1,200 miles and then I upgraded pin boxes. The new rack has 8-9,000 miles on it and is very similar to the original. I carry 3 bikes up there all the time.
Will that work with a short bed? I am guessing not...? Is that a custom rack or purchased? Thank you.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #8

Congrats on new 356qb. We just picked ours up 2 months ago and can't wait to use it.

You could get rid of the bumper grill and put your bike rack there.

I put a receiver on the front of my truck and put the bike rack there.

As for the tv, make sure you hit a stud. I would just mount the bracket to the wall and remove the tv when travelling. Also make sure the slide doesn't hit when bringing it in.

Look over everything. I have one fender skirt that was put on wrong and sits about 1 1/2 inch back further than it should.

Everything in these units is made for light weight.

Be ABSOLUTELY positive that all doors are closed when you bring in slides or you can damage them.

And yes, the fuses for the slides/remote are behind the large wooden panel in the passthrough storage. I cut a hole where the panel is to access it and made a cover.

I also bought a few cans of foam and filled the areas where the hoses and wires come through the floor. The holes they made were way oversized for what they needed to do.

Not satisfied with the stock switch layout here is how I changed mine.

Good Luck,
Andy
AGFazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplight View Post
Will that work with a short bed? I am guessing not...? Is that a custom rack or purchased? Thank you.

It is a custom hitch that is mounted on the pinbox and then just a Thule rack on it. I know Avrika or some company makes them, but they are expensive. I tried getting my father-in-law to make them for sale.

http://www.learntorv.com/2014/12/diy...bike-rack.html

No idea if it would work from a short bed truck. I could take some measurements and tell you how far from the camper things stick out if you wanted to check clearances.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplight View Post
Will hopefully pick or new camper up this weekend! Great deal on the new camper and great trade in on our old.

Couple questions:
2. Anyone with this model have a solution for a bike rack for a minimum of three bikes? Split rear bumper with a swing out grill.
3. Anyone moved the tv mount in the bunkhouse? Would like to move it so all bunks can see the tv.
4. What items should I look for during PDI?

Comments or suggestions welcome. This is our first 5th wheel! Looking forward to new adventures!

Thanks!

yes, i like it. Nice to have the bed of truck when needed.
iowasparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

That's funny. I had just seen one in a campground one and thought it was a cool idea. When the question was asked about the bike rack I googled it and that was the first pic that popped up and screen shot it.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. We picked up our camper this weekend and it is wonderful. Now we just need camping weather! The family is ready to GO!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016 Hemisphere full.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	98738  

2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2500 6.7L 4x4
2016 Salem Hemisphere 356QB
Andersen Ultimate Hitch (over gooseneck ball)
Old 02-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #13

Looks great! Congrats! I am getting cabin fever!
bhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Built a pin box bike rack as well. Would hold 4 bikes in very little space
Attached Images

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #15

Since I am new to the forum and have been searching through hundreds of threads and posts I am still looking for some information and thought I might find some help....

1. Is there a thread or post with some of the forum lingo, camping lingo and abbreviations? ie...my DW? Is that my "Dear Wife"? TOAD, FROG...etc?

2. Looking for generator options for our 50amp 5er that will accomodate both A/C's running and tv on.

I didn't want to create new threads if ones already exist

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #16

DW DH- darling wife husband
TOAD - vehicle "towed" behind RV
TV - Tow vehicle
FROG - forest river owner group
Old 02-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #17

Anyone out there with the 356QB Hemisphere or 356QB Heritage Glenn have issue with converting the U-shaped dinette into a bed, mainly in regards to the cushions. I have yet to figure out a placement scheme that does not end up with a decent size gap / hole that you would feel while laying down. My previous dinette cushions created a tight, edge to edge fitting top surface. Any other experiences like this or have I just not found the right combination?

Old 06-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #18

TV - additions...

I fabricated rear mudflaps to catch road debris and made them mountable to my rear receiver hitch.

I fabricated my own front hitch and bought a Swagman over the receiver bike rack. Works great. Blocks a bit of radiator airflow.

Still have not successfully placed the dinette cushions and made them fit when its a bed.

Love the camper!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flaps.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	111824   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikerack.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	111825  

Old 06-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #19

a question for you 356qb owners, if removing the BBQ rack on the back bumper, could I put a bike rack on it instead? wouldn't block the back door then, i think anyways.
burch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by burch42 View Post
a question for you 356qb owners, if removing the BBQ rack on the back bumper, could I put a bike rack on it instead? wouldn't block the back door then, i think anyways.
That's what I did.