Old 02-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #1

2020 Salem 263 BHXL

Considering buying.Does anyone out there have one ? Are they any good?This will be our first big the purchase.My tv is a 2019 f 250 6.2 gasser

Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #2

Last month we drove our new one from the dealership in Ohio to its home in Virginia. 400 miles and nothing fell off.

It's definitely not highest quality materials but has all the features we wanted at a great price.

If you buy, a quick note - the under dinette storage can fit 2 of those big bins and if you take the panel off from the rear seating in the dinette (2 screws), you'll find add'l storage.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #3

Did it tow good? The one we are looking at is 22000 here in Texas IM NOT sure but I think that is a good price. We had a 17 bh Viking so this will be a major upgrade..
Old 02-28-2020, 11:34 PM   #4

Sent a PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Did it tow good? The one we are looking at is 22000 here in Texas IM NOT sure but I think that is a good price. We had a 17 bh Viking so this will be a major upgrade..
How good it tows is an ambiguous question. 95% of the answer is how well you set up the WDH and how you load it, i.e. weights & balances. Additionally, tires and tire pressure have a lot to do with it as well. You're looking at a TT with a dry weight approaching 6,000 lbs. You appear to have enough TV to handle it. The rest is up to you. As for the $22K price tag, that seems to be about the average, but usually you can get a better OTD price with a little haggling.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #6

What wdh would you recomend for this combo
Old 03-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We have one of these:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37140ET.html

It's very stable, BUT-- setting the solid steel bars in place is sometimes a herculean effort, it takes some practice. They do include a specialized pry bar to manipulate the bars into position.

I've not used the chain type so I can't offer a comparison.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
We have one of these:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37140ET.html

It's very stable, BUT-- setting the solid steel bars in place is sometimes a herculean effort, it takes some practice. They do include a specialized pry bar to manipulate the bars into position.

I've not used the chain type so I can't offer a comparison.
x2 on the 4pt Equal-i-zer!
Dealing with the weight bars doesn't require a "herculean" effort. You just need to raise the tongue to unload the bars. That's why an electric tongue jack is so desirable.
I've had my Equal-i-zer for 15 years now and never needed to use the pry bar so you must not be unloading the tongue.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #9
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

bikendan does have a valid point, however even with the electric tongue jack, I've been in situations where the angle of the ground presents complications. In 90%+ of the conditions, there is not problem.

I would highly recommend the 4 point system -- it tows nice and does't bounce.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:51 PM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
What wdh would you recomend for this combo
That my friend is a loaded question. First of all, a WDH is only as good as it's set-up. The 4 point equalizers (suggested in a previous post), are good and probably the most popular, but they are noisy due to the friction factor. I myself, have always used a PRO Series Round Bar WDH. It has always worked for me, and the shanks are long enough that I can open my tailgate fully when hitched. You'd be surprised at the number of folks who have WDH's that don't allow them to open their tailgates when hitched! One thing I want to point out, you don't have to spend over $500 on a WDH! Some will tell you the only way to go is a Propride P3 aka "Hensley". YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEND THAT MUCH MONEY FOR A WDH! Those things ranges in price from $2700 to $3000. Ridiculous!

Do some research. Ensure you have tongue and towing weights figured and select the correct bars for your application. Then follow the set-up instructions to the letter.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem