Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Alm

22 ft Salem RB (RBXL) questions

Good day; first post, thinking of getting some 22 ft TT and Salem 22 RBXL or 22 RB are possible candidates. Don't know if there is any difference between RB and RBXL - XL implies a lighter weight, but this is not important to me. The plan is to use it as a vacation cabin so it won't be towed a lot. OTH, 7.5 ft exterior width I don't like - 8 ft would be better. It was hard to find the exterior width for Salem, don't remember where I saw 7.5 ft.

Salem 22RB (RBXL) - because at MSRP $12,000 I could get one for $9,000 or less, when dealers are desperate in winter. Don't know if there are any other benefits to this model. From what I read, workmanship is average, in the ballpark, and floor plan is quite typical.

Materials look the same as in other comparable trailers. There are very few revolutionary designs with aluminum frame in walls, fiberglass floor and hard EPS foam insulation. 2011 Eclipse Milan is one of new designs, there is zero feedback from users yet, and it costs a few grands more than Salem.

Questions: (I apologize if some are naive, never owned a TT before):

Anything that you don't like about this or other Salem models?
How is roof - I assume it's rubber over plywood - or rubber over particle board?
Where is the battery - on the tongue? Or can it be placed in through-storage under the bed?

Dealers include a deep-cycle battery (optional or as a freebie, don't know). How big in Amp/hours - 70, 100, 120? I'll be off-grid on solar panel and even without AC and furnace I think that 100 Amp/hour is a bare minimum for me. Also, - what kind of "deep cycle" - cheap gel or good AGM?

What you guys think about the counter? Double sink (that I don't need) leaves almost zero counter space, just a few inches. In my small condo I have a single-bowl sink and 2 ft of free counter space, just enough to prepare a chunk of meat, and I can't imagine having LESS space. I know, people cover half of double sink in RV with a plastic like a cutting board, but then why the heck I need that double sink? Ok, just grumbling... Can replace the whole counter and put a single sink, no big deal...
Alm is offline   Reply With Quote