Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #1

Awning issues

Need some advise. The awning went out nicely the other day, but now it will not retract. Also it will only retract with the bottom of the awning rolling up. I have check the breakers, which all all ok. I hear a clicking noice when I use the remote, and don't have any luck with the wall button. Any suggestions before we have to call a repair shop. Planning on leaving in a couple of weeks so we are in a pickle right now.
Michell50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

First, check your batteries for full charge. Next, check connections, usually they are somewhere in the right arm (as you are looking at the trailer). Next check both sides of the switch with a multimeter. If all those things are ok, it might be the motor. We are on our fourth motor in six years.

If you need to get it in before you get it serviced, sometimes standing on a ladder and helping the motor roll it up while someone else operates the switch works. I have also taken the screws out of the right side (where the motor is) and rolled it up by hand.

Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #3

Thanks, will give it a try
Old 02-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Breakers have nothing to do with awning it is 12VDC ( fuses), however if it is rolling up backward as you say, that is actually what happens if you extend to far and keep the motor running. Try rolling up backward for a short time stop then try to roll in correctly, Remember when extending, holding the button after the awning is fully extended will keep the motor running and roll the awning back up in with bottom out.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #5

Thanks, Flybob I meant to say fuses. I will give our advise a try. Thanks
Old 02-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #6

On my 201bhxl, I had a similar issue. The wire was pinched in the awning arm shorting it out. The switch and remote have separate fuses. The fuses for my remote was on the control board behind a panel under the stove/oven. My awning had a rubber cap on top of the motor that you can use a socket to manually crank it in. If I remember right on the remote control board there was a separate fuse for each direction.
BayouCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #7

FYI: Took BayouCamper1 advise and tries to manually crank the awning in. However I did use a drill with 7/16th bit. I started to pull the awning in. Then tried the remote which started to work again. Looks like I might have over extended the awning and stuck the motor. Anyway awning is in. Thanks for all the comments
Old 02-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #8

Thanks for getting back to the forum on how you fixed the problem
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #9

Awning Solera

Hello! We put our awning out yesterday no problem. Once we retracted it we didn't realise the button stayed engaged (still retracting) until we starting hearing a noise and tracked it back to the button. Now the awning won't extend... The fuse is fine, batteries are charged. Did we blow the motor?? If so, now the awning is about 6" away from the camper, not fully retracted, now what? We are no where near service. Also, any idea the cost of a new awning motor??
Cheerstonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerstonow View Post
Hello! We put our awning out yesterday no problem. Once we retracted it we didn't realise the button stayed engaged (still retracting) until we starting hearing a noise and tracked it back to the button. Now the awning won't extend... The fuse is fine, batteries are charged. Did we blow the motor?? If so, now the awning is about 6" away from the camper, not fully retracted, now what? We are no where near service. Also, any idea the cost of a new awning motor??
The OP has a Salem unit,didn't say what MFG awning,and you have a Solera,what MFG is yours? They all can't be the Same! Youroo!!

Tags
awning