Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #1

Backup Camera

Ideally, I would like to a hitch camera (license plate mount?) and backup camera for the travel trailer (using the prewired mount?).

Is there a system that uses both? Maybe using Android phone as monitor (to avoid having to mount another monitor or even two on the dash of the tow vehicle (here: 2004 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 air suspension)?
vtraudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #2

This really isn't an answer to your question but i have a license plate mounted backup camera on my truck. It is very useful for lining up the hitch but at that angle it is still hard to tell when the ball is under the tongue of the camper. I might try to figure out how to mount it higher for a better angle/view.
StrangeBird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeBird22 View Post
This really isn't an answer to your question but i have a license plate mounted backup camera on my truck. It is very useful for lining up the hitch but at that angle it is still hard to tell when the ball is under the tongue of the camper. I might try to figure out how to mount it higher for a better angle/view.
I can imagine that the angle will be a challenge. But 'anything helps', for example if only in one dimension (left/right), then the 'spotter' only needs to provide final fore/aft directions.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #4

True it is very helpful lining it up left/right which is where I struggled the most
StrangeBird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #5

Any recommendations for backup camera (rear of trailer most important, mount at previred (?) location.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #6

So, I checked the (Furrion) system the trailer is prewired for. Very expansive (over $400!!!).

Since I also wanted a hitch camera, I looked elsewhere and bought a cheap Yakry Y23 HD 1080P ($180) wireless system with 2 cameras.

The dash unit needs power (currently just cigarette lighter plug/switch that comes with the system, and one of the 2 included dash mounts).

Hitch camera mounted to licence plate screws, wired into the hatch and spliced into the back up light (my Touareg has backup light in the hatch). It camera and monitor turn on when shifting into reverse (1-2 sec delay).

I mounted the trailer camera bracket to the existing cover (2 screw holes, one hole for cable). Cut off the Furrion round connector. I had previously asked if someone here knew what type connector it is (to get a matching one) and how it is wired, but did not get an answer.

Connected Red and Black wire. Not working. Turns out Furrion/Forest River don't use the common sense rule (red is positive, black is negative). Fixed the wiring accordingly. Used the connectors from the kit and assembled. The Furrion is simply spliced into the trailer lights (so power only when driving lights are turned on).

Working fine now.

Only issue: need to manually (push button on back of dash unit) to switch between hitch camera and trailer camera.

To turn the trailer camera on, the headlights have to be on (so the trailer lights are on).

Tags
camera