Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #1

Considering a new 356QB - some questions

Hi everyone,

Strongly considering a first 5th wheel, and the 356QB seems to have most of what we want, so now I'm digging in to try to figure out what I need to know.

What is everyone towing theirs with? I was hoping that I could do this with a Dodge Ram megacab diesel, but its payload rating is just under 1900 pounds. Looks like I will have to go 3500.

How does everyone determine their weights? From research it seems that the hitch weigh + people + gear in truck = total payload.

This calculation easily puts the QB well over the stated rating for the Ram. Yet - the dealer is trying to convince me that the 2500 can handle the rig easily. I realize they are trying to sell an RV, but just wanted to get thoughts.

Also, is there an option for a stove in the outdoor kitchen? I can't seem to find one, only the BBQ.

Any thoughts or recommendations for must-have options about the unit from owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pprice01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:43 PM   #2

Another question. For the BBQ, I understand that it is a basic piece, but I'm wondering about the propane feed and if anyone has substituted it for a stove?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #3

In my search to find the right truck I chose the Ford F-350. I needed 2011 or newer bc that's when ford started making their own diesel and re-engendered the engine, turbo and transmission and used racing technology in some of that engineering. I found that Ford and Dodge were so similar in their towing and payload, but I'm a ford guy and preferred them over dodge. I chose the f350 (dodges similar 3500) bc I wanted to tow at the lower to mid range of the towing capacity 24000 lbs. the 356qb loaded is near 14000 for its total allowed limit. If I chose the f250 (dodges similar 2500) I would be at the upper end of that towing capacity. My guess is your dodge will probably tow that fifth wheel easily but you'll be on the higher end of its towing capacity. And for myself I wouldn't want to put that much stress on a newer vehicle. I'm still pretty new at this so please take my reply with a grain of salt. More experienced owners may have a better answer

Tow Vehicle: 2011 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 CC LB SRW 6.7PSD
BBQPairadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:41 PM   #4

I am towing with an F250 diesel and it does fine. I am at my max for the truck though and I had pretty close to the same payload available that you are talking about. With it loaded it is under 13000 lbs but I don't haul fresh water for the most part. I am using mine in Florida so it is pretty flat but if I plan to venture into the punting in the future I am going to upgrade the truck. The grill I am planning on when I wear it out replacing it with a Colman road trip or similar that can be used as grill or put a griddle plate on it. Right now I am using an electric griddle.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQPairadise View Post
In my search to find the right truck I chose the Ford F-350. I needed 2011 or newer bc that's when ford started making their own diesel and re-engendered the engine, turbo and transmission and used racing technology in some of that engineering. I found that Ford and Dodge were so similar in their towing and payload, but I'm a ford guy and preferred them over dodge. I chose the f350 (dodges similar 3500) bc I wanted to tow at the lower to mid range of the towing capacity 24000 lbs. the 356qb loaded is near 14000 for its total allowed limit. If I chose the f250 (dodges similar 2500) I would be at the upper end of that towing capacity. My guess is your dodge will probably tow that fifth wheel easily but you'll be on the higher end of its towing capacity. And for myself I wouldn't want to put that much stress on a newer vehicle. I'm still pretty new at this so please take my reply with a grain of salt. More experienced owners may have a better answer

Thanks for the reply BBQ. I don't think the 2500 is the right truck for this RV. I'm looking at the 3500 to make sure I'm safe for my family and others on the road.

It would have been nice to be able to go the 2500 route for daily driving comfort, but that's just not doable IMO.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprice01 View Post
Hi everyone,

Also, is there an option for a stove in the outdoor kitchen? I can't seem to find one, only the BBQ.

Any thoughts or recommendations for must-have options about the unit from owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

I have the Heritage Glen 356. As far as towing is concerned, I use my 2003 Dodge 3500 (not dually) Tows fine, but you DO have to understand how long it is. Take your turns carefully, especially right turns. Use your convex mirrors.

The grill it comes with is JUNK! I got my own grill from Sam's club. It's stainless and works great.

the thing about the grill that comes with it is that you can hook it directly to the internal propane on the unit witha connector at the back under the kitchen. So, what I did was go to a hose manufacturing comany near where I live, showed them the connector on the RV, and asked if they could make me up a new hose. $75.00 later, and I have a hose that will hook up to any propane appliance I have, like my stove or my propane fire pit.

I also think the swing out arm the grill is mounted to is much too heavy, so I took it off. It weighs at least 50 pounds. Besides, why would I want my grill out there for anyone to steal?

We LOVE the kitchen, and it gives us a backup fridge. If we want to cook out there, we use an electric griddle sometimes, but for good old gas cooking, we use the outside grill. When weather gets bad, we go inside.

My biggest gripe is no self leveling. The jury is out on that, since I was told the frame is too light to support self-leveling jacks, so not sure I would put them on as aftermarket. Does anyone know if that chassis would allow a self-leveling system?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
I have the Heritage Glen 356. As far as towing is concerned, I use my 2003 Dodge 3500 (not dually) Tows fine, but you DO have to understand how long it is. Take your turns carefully, especially right turns. Use your convex mirrors.

The grill it comes with is JUNK! I got my own grill from Sam's club. It's stainless and works great.

the thing about the grill that comes with it is that you can hook it directly to the internal propane on the unit witha connector at the back under the kitchen. So, what I did was go to a hose manufacturing comany near where I live, showed them the connector on the RV, and asked if they could make me up a new hose. $75.00 later, and I have a hose that will hook up to any propane appliance I have, like my stove or my propane fire pit.

I also think the swing out arm the grill is mounted to is much too heavy, so I took it off. It weighs at least 50 pounds. Besides, why would I want my grill out there for anyone to steal?

We LOVE the kitchen, and it gives us a backup fridge. If we want to cook out there, we use an electric griddle sometimes, but for good old gas cooking, we use the outside grill. When weather gets bad, we go inside.

My biggest gripe is no self leveling. The jury is out on that, since I was told the frame is too light to support self-leveling jacks, so not sure I would put them on as aftermarket. Does anyone know if that chassis would allow a self-leveling system?

Thanks Moodman!

I didn't realize that there was no self-leveling. Seems like something that should be included at this price-point.

What are people paying for these units? I see the prices ranging all over the place.

Paul
Old 04-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #8

We just picked up our '16 356qb Dec 7th. This weekend will be our maiden trip. The grill out back is junk. We picked up a Camp Chef stove with grill box and griddle. We will never us any other, it is awesome. I bought a hose and adapter from Amazon for about 20.00. I am not overall pleased with the quality for this price. Toilets are the cheapest ones you can get and all plastic. I am going to change them out.

The interior door frame trim is just plastic, just annoys me more than anything.

We ordered ours with the residential refrigerator. Though very nice the way it is held in sucks. Just a bracket on one side that interferes with the freezer seal. You also lose the pantry cabinet. One of my projects is to split the bunk room closet and add a door in the kitchen to make it a pantry.

I also will be towing this with a '14 RAM 2500 diesel. Seem to be OK when we brought it home.

We ordered ours through our local dealer. With the res. fridge setup and the 2nd A/C from the factory we paid 41k out the door.

Sorry for the ramblings. Good luck and safe travels.
AGFazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #9

Just a thing to consider for anybody who has one, I just dropped mine off at the dealer for a couple repairs on Friday. The dealer called me today and said when they opened the door they found class in the hallway, opened the bathroom door and the shower door is shattered. I double checked it before I left so it has to have popped off in route. Not the first time it has come loose. I think I am going to start using a bungee cord from now on.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGFazio View Post
We just picked up our '16 356qb Dec 7th. This weekend will be our maiden trip. The grill out back is junk. We picked up a Camp Chef stove with grill box and griddle. We will never us any other, it is awesome. I bought a hose and adapter from Amazon for about 20.00. I am not overall pleased with the quality for this price. Toilets are the cheapest ones you can get and all plastic. I am going to change them out.

The interior door frame trim is just plastic, just annoys me more than anything.

We ordered ours with the residential refrigerator. Though very nice the way it is held in sucks. Just a bracket on one side that interferes with the freezer seal. You also lose the pantry cabinet. One of my projects is to split the bunk room closet and add a door in the kitchen to make it a pantry.

I also will be towing this with a '14 RAM 2500 diesel. Seem to be OK when we brought it home.

We ordered ours through our local dealer. With the res. fridge setup and the 2nd A/C from the factory we paid 41k out the door.

Sorry for the ramblings. Good luck and safe travels.

Thanks for the info AG! I appreciate it. Happy camping.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
Just a thing to consider for anybody who has one, I just dropped mine off at the dealer for a couple repairs on Friday. The dealer called me today and said when they opened the door they found class in the hallway, opened the bathroom door and the shower door is shattered. I double checked it before I left so it has to have popped off in route. Not the first time it has come loose. I think I am going to start using a bungee cord from now on.

Sorry to hear that Tfort. Will keep that in mind.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #12

The dealer submitted a warranty claim on it. We will see if they cover it. If not, the price they are talking about, a shower curtain is sounding real good.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #13

We purchased ours earlier this year at an RV show from a local dealer. I searched the country and found other dealers with much cheaper price and told my dealer to match or I was taking a road trip. They matched and even included a hitch! We walked out the door with it for under $38K. I also use a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew cab 4x4 diesel 6.7L. Have had no issues yet and travel safe.

Questions I have are as follows:
1. Anyone have a picture of their double sewer lines joined into one single dump line? Seems most sewer hoses are not long enough to reach both when at full hook up sites. Anyone done this with a "Y"?

2. Remote stopped working after the first time. No longer will operate anything in the coach? Is a fuse blown or something? I am at a loss for this.

3. Anyone have a handy "fix" for the issue of the water running off the tub in the rear bathroom and onto the floor?

4. Anyone have issues with the outdoor fridge staying cold while camping? Mine is very mediocre at best.

5. Anyone installed a washer and dryer up front? Vent less or vented?

Thank you for your input! Happy Camping!

2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2500 6.7L 4x4
2016 Salem Hemisphere 356QB
Andersen Ultimate Hitch (over gooseneck ball)
camplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #14

1. Anyone have a picture of their double sewer lines joined into one single dump line? Seems most sewer hoses are not long enough to reach both when at full hook up sites. Anyone done this with a "Y"?

Near the dump hole, use a Y with single hose going into the hole. Use a long hose from the front to the Y and a short hose from the rear. Also, use clear joints so you can see the liquids. That has helped me a lot

2. Remote stopped working after the first time. No longer will operate anything in the coach? Is a fuse blown or something? I am at a loss for this.

Don't know....But my front landing gear switch broke, and I now use the remote to control it. The code is 0000

3. Anyone have a handy "fix" for the issue of the water running off the tub in the rear bathroom and onto the floor?

Don't know about this issue.?

4. Anyone have issues with the outdoor fridge staying cold while camping? Mine is very mediocre at best.
Leave the outside door slightly open (not latched) I had same problem until I did this. You need air circulating in that kitchen area or the fridge will not cool, plus it will wear out the fridge faster.

Haven't done it yet. I was told you have to cut a hole in the bottom of the front cap or vent it down to the bottom of the 5er.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #15

1. I do it the same way as moodman.

2. There is a fuse panel behind the large wood panel in the basement. I cut a hole in mine for easier access later if need be. I'll get a pic this weekend.

3. Shower curtain goes inside the tub.

4. Haven't noticed. But will look into it.

5. Nope.
AGFazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #16

The issue with the rear tub edge water running off on the floor I fixed with tub edge guards in the corners placed with the end draining into the tub. I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #17

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466811765.876556.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	112087

Here is the pic of what I did to solve the water running on the floor. This tub is a terrible design but this worked. Unfortunately they only come in white and clear if you can find them. I painted mine but wish I could have come closer in the color.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #18

Thank you for the picture. I will look into those. If only the spout was a little bit longer and got out away from the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
Attachment 112087

Here is the pic of what I did to solve the water running on the floor. This tub is a terrible design but this worked. Unfortunately they only come in white and clear if you can find them. I painted mine but wish I could have come closer in the color.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #19

I appreciate the feedback. I will try keeping the outdoor kitchen door open some and maybe a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post

Near the dump hole, use a Y with single hose going into the hole. Use a long hose from the front to the Y and a short hose from the rear. Also, use clear joints so you can see the liquids. That has helped me a lot

Don't know....But my front landing gear switch broke, and I now use the remote to control it. The code is 0000

Don't know about this issue.?

Leave the outside door slightly open (not latched) I had same problem until I did this. You need air circulating in that kitchen area or the fridge will not cool, plus it will wear out the fridge faster.

Haven't done it yet. I was told you have to cut a hole in the bottom of the front cap or vent it down to the bottom of the 5er.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #20

Owners of a 356QBS, what have you come up with for sewer hose storage? Do you store 3 so all outlets can be connected at once or do you just store and use one? Any pictures would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance.