RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #1

Question Coupler height

I need to know the couplerís height, if possible. I just got a Salem Cruise lite. Iím having a hard time getting it level. The level on the tongue is totally different from inside the camper. Plus the ground is not level (gravel drive).
My truckís hitch sets 20.5Ē high. Therefore, if you can get me the coupler height Iíll be able to determine the rise or drop. THANKS a bunch. Michael
wrcoach1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #2

It appears that you are asking about the coupler's height of your TT. So, this is the procedure I use: I suggest that you find a parking lot, such as a store that is closed on Sunday, take the TT to that site, unhook from the TV, level the TT using a level on the TT floor and take the coupler height from that. I have found that not all TT will show the same level as taken from the floor vs. the tongue that is why I use the floor to level the TT. Once you have the coupler height with the TT floor level you can measure your TV and see if the TV ball height is about 1 1/2" higher than the TT coupler height. One measurement I like to use is to place a piece of blue masking tape at a spot over the front fender well and the rear fender well. Make a horizontal mark on each. Measure from a flat surface up to each of these marks without the TT hooked up and write it down. Then hook up the TT, raise the tongue jack until it clears the level surface and take the same measurements again and write those down. Compare the height of the marks. I like to use the rule that you want the front mark 1 1/2" higher with the TT hooked up. IF you have significant difference between the front/front and rear/rear marks then you can fine tune the WDH until you get the measurements you want. Others may have different ways of determining the heights that allow them to tow safely. Good luck, , ,
Old 11-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcoach1949 View Post
I need to know the couplerís height, if possible. I just got a Salem Cruise lite. Iím having a hard time getting it level. The level on the tongue is totally different from inside the camper. Plus the ground is not level (gravel drive).
My truckís hitch sets 20.5Ē high. Therefore, if you can get me the coupler height Iíll be able to determine the rise or drop. THANKS a bunch. Michael
You need to provide the year and model number since you don't have it in your profile.
Coupler height is model-specific.
Therefore this thread has been moved to the Salem sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #4

Coupler height

This RV is a 2021 Forest River Salem Cruise lite.
Model 273QBXL
wrcoach1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupler