Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2021, 06:01 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post
I am a newbie here who is looking at two trailers: a Rockwood Mini Lite 2205S and a Salem Hemisphere Hyper Lyte 19RBHL.

I have only seen them online since dealers locally don't have them. Just reading the specs, they both seem very similar.

Is one brand suppose to be better/different than the other?

Thanks
Here's an example of happy Rockwood 5th wheel owners:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=222649

Never seen a similar thread for Salem Hemisphere owners.
There are many happy MiniLite owner threads but they tend to be focused for owners of a particular MiniLite model number.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:07 PM   #22

I vote Rockwood

Not because I know about other brands but, compared to some other makes my friends have, I like the Rockwood because of the construction. I have a 2014 Rockwood 2104 and early on I wanted to install a ladder to the roof. I contacted a Rockwood support rep and asked about the structure and where the studs were located. His answer was that the walls and roof were panels that were vacuum sealed and had no studs. After 4 years of dragging it all over the country probably 40,000 miles I can attest to that strength. The only thing I wish was better made is the floor. It hasn't failed in any way except it flexes as I walk on it and isn't insulated very well.
champ837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #23

Love our Rockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post
I am a newbie here who is looking at two trailers: a Rockwood Mini Lite 2205S and a Salem Hemisphere Hyper Lyte 19RBHL.

I have only seen them online since dealers locally don't have them. Just reading the specs, they both seem very similar.

Is one brand suppose to be better/different than the other?

Thanks
Just a heads up for the Rockwood by Forest River. Yes, the quality of all travel trailers is unsuitable to us but Forest River seems to have a good following of people that help you and we love ours.
SandyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:16 AM   #24

no salem

dont get the salem...bad workmanship!!!ROCKWOOD ALLTHE WAY...
Old 01-12-2021, 02:52 AM   #25
Heatpad/Recliner Tester

we have a '20 Flagstaff 21FBRS that we had a couple warranty issues with that the dealer handled. Only issues we had was the amount of time it took. With all the pandemic issues, replacement parts were at a premium. We want to do another trip like we did this past July, but with Covid rearing up and some medical issues, things are on hold. But our Hut performed great when we did manage to get in some traveling
6500 miles, hoping for a few more
Christopher J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:54 AM   #26

Mini Lite/Micro Lite

Rockwood Mini Lites and Flagstaff Micro Lites are identical. They come off the same or similar production runs. If you cant find your model in one, try the other. Practically, the only difference is the model number assigned to each. Go to their websites and you will see. They have been making these Mini Lites and Micro Lites for years. Other than the standard less than ideal quality we all find in any brand RV, I find these much better than most other travel trailers. And their entire lineup is designed for most of today’s 1/2 ton pickups...dry weight about 50% to 80% of most 1/2 ton pickups’ capacities, depending on model.
panajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #27

Not sure about specifics, but I know my wife and I are looking at new campers and our dealer / salesman told us there is differences in the walls. He said difference between a Salem and a Grey Wolf is the grey wolf has studs 12” on center whereas the Salem maybe 14-16” on center. Also, he noted that the exterior maybe be a different. Aluminum vs fiberglass. Not sure how much there is to what he is saying, but thought I would share.
Camper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #28
Heatpad/Recliner Tester

you are spot on with your comments. Only difference I did see was in the cost, along the lines of Chevy/GMC, some stuff that was standard on the Rockwood was an option on the Flagstaff. We bought the Flagstaff 21FBRS because the cost on the comparable Rockwood was about $2200 more than the Flagstaff...

Old 01-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #29

Go mini lite

We have a rockwood mini lite and love it. No problems. Its 22 feet and the only problem is we cannot use the bed when the slide is in.
Mitchell 2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher J View Post
you are spot on with your comments. Only difference I did see was in the cost, along the lines of Chevy/GMC, some stuff that was standard on the Rockwood was an option on the Flagstaff. We bought the Flagstaff 21FBRS because the cost on the comparable Rockwood was about $2200 more than the Flagstaff...
I'm sorry to disagree with you but Rockwood/Flagstaff models share the exact standard and optional features. They have for at least the last 15 years I've checked their websites. I owned a Rockwood product for 10 years.
Cost differences is a dealer difference, not a manufacturer difference. Your Chevy/GMC comparison is incorrect.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-12-2021, 05:29 PM   #31

Salem 2014 232

We bought Salem Hemisphere Sept 2014. A 2015 was available at the same time, but we took the savings on the '14 has there were very minor cosmetic differences. It's 26' w/two slide outs, so it really opens up with a lot of room....separate bedroom with doors...sadly they stopped making this floor plan, I guess. Perfect for couples and pretty easy to manage and navigate....done several mods to help it out, and no real quality/build problems.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:12 PM   #32
Heatpad/Recliner Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell 2020 View Post
We have a rockwood mini lite and love it. No problems. Its 22 feet and the only problem is we cannot use the bed when the slide is in.
with our 21FBRS we are able to use the bed with the slide in so its nice if we have to boondock at a WallyWorld we dont have to use the slide

Old 01-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #33

I purchased a 2020 Salem 26DBUD last January and have had no issues at all. ZERO. Fit and finish is great. I think the Rockwood line is a step above my Salem but you pay for it. Rockwood wasn't in my budget for a similar floorplan. The closest Rockwood to my floorplan is $12k more. So honestly, I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

2021 Salem 26DBUD
2016 Ford F250 Carli Backcountry
treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:55 PM   #34

The different amenity levels of each line from Forest River are very well covered!

From a marketing standpoint, Forest River and the RV Industry offer different lines of the same trailer based on geographic locations, East, Mid-West, West. Also different lines are sold by different dealers on the same street, all Forest River products.

Example: Rockwood Wind Jammers are sold by dealer 1, across the street Flagstaff V-Lite by Dealer 2. Non-competitive sales for F/R brands of equal floor plans, quality, and amenities.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4, DRW, Cummins H.O., Asian 6sp., 4:10 gears, limited slip.
hotrod6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #35

We have a Hemisphere 272RL. This will be our 4th year with this TT. No problems to speak of. Quality at build was good. Awesome Denver Mattress. We bought this because we wanted a rear living with a outside kitchen. We walked through 6 different models. The Hemisphere was the best of the 6.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #36
Heatpad/Recliner Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'm sorry to disagree with you but Rockwood/Flagstaff models share the exact standard and optional features. They have for at least the last 15 years I've checked their websites. I owned a Rockwood product for 10 years.
Cost differences is a dealer difference, not a manufacturer difference. Your Chevy/GMC comparison is incorrect.
Dan, some of the fits and finishes are a little better quality on the Rockwood than the Flagstaff, the dealer that I got mine from sold both Rockwood & Flagstaff models and there was a difference in price at least at this dealer. But either way, I got a great unit that I plan on getting out in, hopefully soon after this COVID issues settles down

Old 01-20-2021, 11:24 PM   #37

Very pleased with our 2205. Would not change anything on our floor plan. Very roomy with the slide out.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #38

Salem Hemisphere 36FL vs Heritage Glen Elite 36FL

We are thinking about buying a new 5th wheel and we like the FL models.

I found a Salem Hemisphere 36FL 30k cheaper than a Heritage Glen Elite 36FL, and the Salem Hemisphere had better decor and seemed to have higher quality, but how can that be if they are basically the same with different names?

Wanting to buy before MAY 2021.

Anyone know which is better?

The Pritzkers
spares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:46 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spares View Post
We are thinking about buying a new 5th wheel and we like the FL models.

I found a Salem Hemisphere 36FL 30k cheaper than a Heritage Glen Elite 36FL, and the Salem Hemisphere had better decor and seemed to have higher quality, but how can that be if they are basically the same with different names?

Wanting to buy before MAY 2021.

Anyone know which is better?
Heritage Glen is Wildwood. Wildwood and Salem are twin brands, like Rockwood and Flagstaff.
Same exact trailers with the only differences are outside graphics and interior decor.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:27 PM   #40

Differences between brands

If you sift through the comments you will find that a lot of folks will tell you the rig they bought is the best because....well, they bought one. We are on our third...have had a Trail-Lite, a Fun Finder and now a Salem Hemisphere.
I am solidly in the camp of finding a floorplan that works for you at a price you are willing to pay and have fun. With the consolidation of many manufacturers into conglomerates like Thor, IMO they are all the same minus the "upgrades" like residential fridges. When I read forums like this for other brands, I see the same complaints, about the same systems regardless of advertised "quality".
2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5 EB
Karbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, salem