Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef291234 View Post
Before we set off on our journey, with our brand new 2019 travel trailer, I had noticed a few things wrong with it: one of the storage compartments didn't latch, a big scratch in the couch of the Murphy bed, a tear in the mattress of the Murphy bed, and a few other small things. Honestly, I was a bit surprised that these items wouldn't have gotten caught during the inspection, but whatever. I even found small attempts to cover up their mistakes and cut corners.

Then when we arrived at our campsite the first thing I noticed was that the electric motor for awning no longer worked . It worked fine during the orientation just a few weeks earlier. This was quite disappointing.

Then, 1 day into our camping trip I had to climb up onto the top bunk to check something. The next thing I knew the bunk collapsed. I weigh about 225 lbs. there is no posted weight limit for getting on the bunk. Once it collapsed I noticed there were only 2 wood screws holding it to the side of the wall that it collapsed on. Gimme a break. Imagine if my 3 yr old was in the bottom bunk when it fell.

Interestingly, once I pulled the mattress off the collapsed bunk there were all these screws in between the mattress and the board it was sitting on. Were these supposed to be screwed in? What kind of inspection process do these trailers go through? I am appalled.

Look at the screenshot I included from their website that talks about how "conscientious" their manufacturing is and how "thorough" and "detailed" their inspections are, and how they don't cut corners. This couldn't be farther from the truth. The truth is these things are thrown together as fast as possible and there is zero accountability during the manufacturing process
We just purchased a new 2019 Class C motorhome January 11th and while were were at the dealership we noticed several things wrong. They told us to take it out for the weekend and write down everything we found wrong. We ended up with a full page of items. Took it back the next week and they still have it. They are fixing everything. I feel like most of the issues should have been found prior to it leaving the factory. Thinking I should have hired a certified inspector prior to buying it.
Leo1956 is offline   Reply
Old 02-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1956 View Post
We just purchased a new 2019 Class C motorhome January 11th and while were were at the dealership we noticed several things wrong. They told us to take it out for the weekend and write down everything we found wrong. We ended up with a full page of items. Took it back the next week and they still have it. They are fixing everything. I feel like most of the issues should have been found prior to it leaving the factory. Thinking I should have hired a certified inspector prior to buying it.
The dealers are clearly used to SEVERAL issues being discovered on your first outing. It just seems to be accepted in this industry. When I took it in today to the dealer they didn't seem surprised at all about anything. It's really too bad that this is the norm.
Schaef291234 is offline   Reply
Old 02-18-2019, 10:11 PM   #23

My bunks are rated at 500 pounds and they're double bunks
Way to many know it alls on this forum.
Gdub2 is offline   Reply
Old 02-18-2019, 11:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdub2 View Post
My bunks are rated at 500 pounds and they're double bunks
Way to many know it alls on this forum.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, trolls seem to rule the internet, unfortunately.

Have a good day!
Schaef291234 is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #25
Site Team

Hey Allen, just a couple observations from someone who's spent WAY too much time in internet chat boards like this one!

We often see 2 types of new member posts here at FRF.
A- someone has a new rig and they are looking for information, camaraderie, maybe help with an issue.
B- someone has more serious issues and they want to vent, complain, "punish the manufacturer".

Those are very general categories and there are many variations.

Here as with many other chat boards you more or less get back what you put in.
If you come here angry and post likewise, you probably will find other angry people respond to your thread.
If you come here with problems but looking for advice how to proceed what to do next, especially how to fix some specific problem- you will find the forum to be a wealth of information and people who love camping and RVing and want to help you do likewise.

My mother used to say "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar". Corny but oh, so true.

ALSO- my moderator hat is on- we mods try to watch all the threads but no way can we read every one in it's entirety. If we see a new member with issues looking for help and we notice other member(s) posting less than helpful responses we will often step in and moderate.
BUT- if we see a new member posting angry and "slugging it out" we might step back and watch what happens....
We do try to enforce the "be nice" rule but if you're dishing it out you can expect some in return.

Hope you get your issues cleared up in time for a great camping season!
Happy Trails!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #26
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
This is unacceptable! You are right there is no QC on many trailers. You are well within your rights to go to the top of the division that built that trailer. I would!
Yes, and if you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly! I'd demand a full audit and quality check, and be present the entire time.

Teetime is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #27

My observations on the forum are yep you will be lucky to get any compassion if you didn't go over everything with a fine tooth comb during your PDI from some forum members....I for one feel your pain and understand your venting your frustrations unfortunately others don't see it that way.

Oh and remember the old saying there is no such thing has a stupid question ? Maybe there aren't but on the forum you can bet some responses you will get will make you feel as though there are.( Less then helpful responses) My advise is hang in there and don't take it personally and have fun
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #28
Site Team

Demand all you want but over and over we've seen where FR wanted the owner to go to their dealer for resolution first.
AND I say again, it's OK to be firm and ask for specific things to be done but if you go in with guns blazing you will very likey get push back rather than help.
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #29

I'm intrigued by the responses to this. I have to agree that "some" of the issues listed fall into the category of "should" have been caught during PDI. It appears that the suggestion is that the quality is irrelevant if you miss it during PDI, as in, its ok to have torn mattresses as long as you catch it in the walk through. A torn mattress is unacceptable whether it is identified during the walkthrough or identified at home after the walkthrough. We have all been through a PDI. There is a lot of information being passed. A lot of explainations and new terms. Things can easily get missed, especially from newcomers. So I dont tend to think missing a torn mattress means that the buyer loses the ability to be annoyed by a collapsed upper bunk.

The bunks are what really caught my attention. Not sure where the weight limits are posted, and no one has posted any proof of what the limit is supposed to be. I have been up in my bunks (top and bottom) for short periods of time (215lbs), and I have never felt anything that made me think they were unsafe or would collapse. It looks pretty clear that the bunks were improperly installed (and if they were properly installed they are severely inadequate and need to be recalled immediately).

I think some of us are missing the major issue with the bunks because of the overlooked minor issues in the PDI.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #30

After reading a similar bed collapse thread concerning mounting lips on the dinette using too few screws to hold the table top when converted to a bed, I inspected mine and discovered the same. I doubled the number of screws used and added some 1x1" backers where the screws went through.
I will check and reinforce if needed (likely) my upper bunk. Of course, there are NO limits, capacities, recommendations or even suggestions in any of the maker's literature or stickers concerning bed weights. Lord knows there was a ton of other caution and warning stickers all over the trailer! I removed the bulk of those unsightly items.
I have standard single bunks. Those double width bunks should have been reinforced and be able to handle TWO people.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #31
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Anyway, yes I have turned it into the dealer to fix. The only problem now is trying to convince my wife that we still made a good purchase. The bunk collapsed right in front of her. It's been winterized ever since we bought it and we did not use the plumbing on our first outing. I can't wait to find all of the hidden surprises the first time we turn the water on .
And if you think the factory workers are incompetent...

Wait until you get a taste of the dealership's service department!

Are you ever in for a big surprise...

And you will wait for a good long time before you ever see your camper again!

I learned the hard way...

NEVER leave your camper at the dealership until the day they are going to actually START the repairs!

And if possible, arrange to have all the repairs done while you wait!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
After reading a similar bed collapse thread concerning mounting lips on the dinette using too few screws to hold the table top when converted to a bed, I inspected mine and discovered the same. I doubled the number of screws used and added some 1x1" backers where the screws went through.
I will check and reinforce if needed (likely) my upper bunk. Of course, there are NO limits, capacities, recommendations or even suggestions in any of the maker's literature or stickers concerning bed weights. Lord knows there was a ton of other caution and warning stickers all over the trailer! I removed the bulk of those unsightly items.
I have standard single bunks. Those double width bunks should have been reinforced and be able to handle TWO people.
I think it should be common sense that those bunks were made for small kids...

Not 200+ pound adults!

I'm not excusing the poor workmanship...

But really, why would a large adult think these bunks should hold them?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Schaef291234,

Thank you for being a part of the Salem family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new Salem. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Miranda Blackburn in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: Forest River RV Direct Service Contact - Forest River, Inc..

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully, Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I think it should be common sense that those bunks were made for small kids...

Not 200+ pound adults!

I'm not excusing the poor workmanship...

But really, why would a large adult think these bunks should hold them?

Maybe cause they are rated for 500lbs?
emjayuu is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
I'm intrigued by the responses to this. I have to agree that "some" of the issues listed fall into the category of "should" have been caught during PDI. It appears that the suggestion is that the quality is irrelevant if you miss it during PDI, as in, its ok to have torn mattresses as long as you catch it in the walk through. A torn mattress is unacceptable whether it is identified during the walkthrough or identified at home after the walkthrough. We have all been through a PDI. There is a lot of information being passed. A lot of explainations and new terms. Things can easily get missed, especially from newcomers. So I dont tend to think missing a torn mattress means that the buyer loses the ability to be annoyed by a collapsed upper bunk.

The bunks are what really caught my attention. Not sure where the weight limits are posted, and no one has posted any proof of what the limit is supposed to be. I have been up in my bunks (top and bottom) for short periods of time (215lbs), and I have never felt anything that made me think they were unsafe or would collapse. It looks pretty clear that the bunks were improperly installed (and if they were properly installed they are severely inadequate and need to be recalled immediately).

I think some of us are missing the major issue with the bunks because of the overlooked minor issues in the PDI.
I hear you on the weight limit thing. I had a heck of a time trying to find the weight limit on ours (single bunk on top, double on bottom), seems I found the limit to be 300 lbs, but I don’t remember where I found that. It always looked sketchy to me. We only had kids, or only under 100 lbs up there.
I’m thinking it’s a liability thing.
Teresa CAL is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
OK I just gotta see that in writing.
I would hesitate to put 500 lbs on ANY bed- much less one in an RV.

AND we agree 2 screws in the wall support ain't enough.
KyDan is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #37

In this thread, not sure how it applies to different manufacturers under the Forest River umbrella, but post #6 was direct from Forest River that the upper level of the bunks has a 300lb limit

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...it-154972.html

Old 02-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
I call Shenanigans...

You show me a 500 pound small kid...

And I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for sale...cheap!
Old 02-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #39

Salem 179DBK

I too just got a Salem 179DBK and have yet to take it out. I am over 200lbs and have not gotten up on the top bunk yet. Will it collapse with me?? How am I supposed to know? This particular model has DOUBLE size bunks (full sheet size). I would hope that they would hold at least 200lbs!
nhpfood is offline   Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Wow, you sound like a certified genius. Next time I buy a trailer will you come with me and help me make sure everything is ok?

Well played sir!
dthomso1 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
salem