Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 09:30 PM   #1

Electrical

Set up camp and tried to lower electric tongue jack, but acted like it wasn't getting power. Tried to lower the stabilizers, both front and back, also no power. The only thing different was the breakaway cable had come loose. Checked and have shore power, and doesn't look like any breakers are bad. Any other ideas, before I have to call an RV Tech
Miles39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:49 PM   #2

Your battery(s) are dead from the switch being pulled or you have possibly trip the re-settable breaker/blown the fuse that is usually under the front of the camper.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
Site Team

I see in your profile that you have a Salem 27RKSS. It helps if you put that in the OP (original Post)

As Wildcatter said, it's likely that the batteries are dead and/or you have tripped the breakers under the front of the RV on the frame.

It should look something like this. It could be metal or plastic. There should be a little button on one side that is the reset.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I see in your profile that you have a Salem 27RKSS. It helps if you put that in the OP (original Post)

As Wildcatter said, it's likely that the batteries are dead and/or you have tripped the breakers under the front of the RV on the frame.

It should look something like this. It could be metal or plastic. There should be a little button on one side that is the reset.

Sorry, I did over look that in the post. Thanks with the information. I manually set the tongue jack, and will check the rest when we get back from seeing the kids. And let you know if that fixes the problem
Old 09-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles39 View Post
Sorry, I did over look that in the post. Thanks with the information. I manually set the tongue jack, and will check the rest when we get back from seeing the kids. And let you know if that fixes the problem

Could this breaker affect my awning not rolling up also?
mickbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
Retired Old Fart

If the battery is totally drained from the break-a-way being tripped, reset the break-a-way and give the converter some time to put juice back into the battery. If you don't have auto-reset breakers it may pop the breaker a couple of times as you will be drawing full amperage from the converter to the battery. I know my battery was deeply discharged one time and when I plugged the trailer into shore power, I could hear the auto reset main breaker at the tongue clicking a few times until the battery started to charge (about 15-20 seconds is all it took, but it clicked a few times and reset each time). Not all of those breakers like the photo 2 posts above are the auto-reset type. If it has a small button on the side, it's not auto-reset, no button should be auto reset.

It also helps to keep every thing else in the trailer off and not try to use anything until some charge is built up on that battery. Prolonged deep discharge will (and may have) damaged the battery, but try and see if it will recover.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #7

Problem fixed. It was the breaker that had tripped. Thank you for all the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles39 View Post
Old 09-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #8

Problem fixed. It was the breaker that had tripped. Thank you for all the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
Your battery(s) are dead from the switch being pulled or you have possibly trip the re-settable breaker/blown the fuse that is usually under the front of the camper.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
Site Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what it was, and that you got it fixed.

Tags
electric, electrical