Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2022, 12:51 PM   #1

Fair Weather Camping

When I bought my '21 FR Salem 177BH I had no dreams of wintering in Alaska, but I thought I could use it a bit more of the year. It has these thick plastic panels (not cora-plast) covering much of the underbelly. The one under the FW tank bows down and is right up against that tank so I'm not sure if it's safe to place a tank heater in between for fear it might melt the panel. There is precious little spray foam insulation around the dump tubing and the panels move around way too easily to call it air-tight. And I doubt the sloppy cut wholes in the flooring count as furnace heated ducting. When I looked throughout the walls and spaces leading to the toilet, outside and inside shower, and kitchen sink I found numerous opportunities for water or sewage to freeze. After reading the posts I'm thinking of wrapping pipe insulation around every plex tube I can find, adding a tank heater for each tank, wrapping the waste tubing with insulation and heated tape. I also wonder if blowing in some loose insulation above the underbelly panels and sealing it better would help. If anyone could please give me some advice I would really appreciate it. The last time I had a vehicle that was only usable 7 months of the year it had two wheels!
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #2

So you're wintering in Alaska?

You might consider putting 'skirting' around the bottom of the rig which will help keep in heat and keep the cold winds from stealing heat from under the rig. People use all different types of insulation material and I've no idea which will be most cost efficient.

A heated water supply hose will help keep those pipes from freezing. Also, putting some rv antifreeze in your grey and black water tank is an alternative to heated tanks. Then you might want to get some Reflex insulation that you can cut and fit on your windows. And a dehumidifier might be a good idea to take out the humidity that we add to the rigs by just existing.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:27 AM   #3

that rig was never intended for an area that has four seasons, putting skirting around the rig is a big plus as reverse_snowbird said. You might consider a thermostatically controlled space heater under the rig or several heat lamps. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:19 AM   #4

Alaska has a short season. Working in SE I put on wool long johns in the morning even in July and August.

In the Lower 48 I don't like summer because of the crowds. I enjoy my trailer more in the spring and fall. I head for the desert in winter.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping