Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #1

First night in the new camper. Lessons learned.

I have the 272RL and we love it so far. I did learn however that I can't run the AC and the Electric water heater together. I have a 30 amp. It took awhile to figure out what was causing the problem. Once I switched to propane no more issues with the breaker. Later that night my wife tells me the hot water ran out while she was taking a quick shower. Which shouldn't of happened. I later found out that the guy turned my gas off after the PDI even though I told him to leave it on. All and all it was a great first night.
mblee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblee21 View Post
I have the 272RL and we love it so far. I did learn however that I can't run the AC and the Electric water heater together. I have a 30 amp. It took awhile to figure out what was causing the problem. Once I switched to propane no more issues with the breaker. Later that night my wife tells me the hot water ran out while she was taking a quick shower. Which shouldn't of happened. I later found out that the guy turned my gas off after the PDI even though I told him to leave it on. All and all it was a great first night.
a simple #12 extension cord can power the wh and remove those amps from your 30 amp system, ..... the link below is a mod I did, originally to power our two small heaters in the winter, but after our first trip out in warm weather, I came home and changed the plugging scheme and now have it set up for heaters in the winter/water heater in the summer, ..... goal being to remove what amps I can from our 30 amp system, once the 110 feed is into the tt, there are any number of ways to use it, .... we like it and very easy to do, ..... especially see posts 1, 13, and 19 of that thread

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ne-124335.html

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
a simple #12 extension cord can power the wh and remove those amps from your 30 amp system, ..... the link below is a mod I did, originally to power our two small heaters in the winter, but after our first trip out in warm weather, I came home and changed the plugging scheme and now have it set up for heaters in the winter/water heater in the summer, ..... goal being to remove what amps I can from our 30 amp system, once the 110 feed is into the tt, there are any number of ways to use it, .... we like it and very easy to do, ..... especially see posts 1, 13, and 19 of that thread

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ne-124335.html

Thanks for that. I will try that.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

I didn't know you couldn't run your a/c and electric water heater on a 30 amp service. Good to know.
Jammer3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #5

We have 30 amp service and have no issues running the water heater on electric and A/C. Actually we also have 2 refrigerators and of course the converter running also. So I would think there is something else drawing 120v...

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

Or maybe they have the breakers wired wrong.

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 05-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #7

posts #4, 5, and 6, ... y'all are missing the point, of course we can run ac and wh at the same time, ...... but when we may also have the coffee maker, rice cooker, AND micro wave all going at the same time, it's easy to reach a tipping point for amp draw, ... since wh is inter-mitten we/you may get by without a problem for a long time, but that one time that all that stuff is on and the wh cycles on also, that's when a tripped breaker can happen, .... when that happens its usually at the most inopportune time, at night, dark outside, maybe raining, ect, ...... no breakers wired wrong, just the facts of a 30amp tt, ..... it's an easy thing to do, use an extension cord to remove some of the amps from your 30amp system, ..... it's not that hard to understand, ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
posts #4, 5, and 6, ... y'all are missing the point, of course we can run ac and wh at the same time, ...... but when we may also have the coffee maker, rice cooker, AND micro wave all going at the same time, it's easy to reach a tipping point for amp draw, ... since wh is inter-mitten we/you may get by without a problem for a long time, but that one time that all that stuff is on and the wh cycles on also, that's when a tripped breaker can happen, .... when that happens its usually at the most inopportune time, at night, dark outside, maybe raining, ect, ...... no breakers wired wrong, just the facts of a 30amp tt, ..... it's an easy thing to do, use an extension cord to remove some of the amps from your 30amp system, ..... it's not that hard to understand, ....

I understand what you are saying but the OP didn't say that. He stated WH and A/C. Just making sure that is what he meant.

Your mod is great and would save us having to turn things off when we want to use the microwave/coffee maker/hair dryer. But the OP only stated WH and A/C...
[emoji106]

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 05-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #9

dml

I have not had a problem with water heater and air conditioner both on same line. 30 amp. Maybe if they both start up at the same time, it might trip the breaker, otherwise it should run them both, along with the refrigerator. Only problems I have are using appliances such as a toaster and coffee maker at the same time, trips the circuit in the trailer, but not at the electric post.
dmlranhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #10

Should I check with the dealer about it? I have had no issues since I went to propane. I have residential fridge and outside fridge too but nothing else on.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #11
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Quote:
Should I check with the dealer about it? I have had no issues since I went to propane. I have residential fridge and outside fridge too but nothing else on.

I believe I would check with the dealer about it. Can't hurt anything. We use the A/C, water heater, refrigerator, and microwave at the same time with no problem on 30 Amps. If we use a hair dryer or coffee maker along with the A/C and water heater we trip a breaker.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #12

You should be able to run everything that came with the trailer at the same time.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #13

We have 30 amp and run 2 refrigerators, a/c, ice maker, pump for the water while taking a shower and a tv in the bunk house and have not had any problems. Sometimes my wife will be using a blow dryer at the same time and have not had a problem yet.
moparguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #14
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
You should be able to run everything that came with the trailer at the same time.
Thats just not an accurate statement to make...on 30amp, if your A/c kicks in while water heater happened to be on, and you have your microwave running at that time and your fridge is also going...no 30 amp service will accommodate that.
As others have said, depends whats happening at the time, and you may get away with it some of the time...biggest draw from a/c is when it first comes on...may just so happen that when it kicked in one time for you, the water heater element wasn't on.
But to say you should be able to run everything that came with your trailer at the same time is wrong...I haven't even mentioned if you have all your lights on, etc...
Old 05-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #15
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
I am unclear as to which breaker is tripping... (But I am old and nearsighted)

If it's the pedestal breaker, I think there's something wrong with the pedestal.

If it's a breaker inside the RV, then maybe have the dealer look at it.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I am unclear as to which breaker is tripping... (But I am old and nearsighted)

If it's the pedestal breaker, I think there's something wrong with the pedestal.

If it's a breaker inside the RV, then maybe have the dealer look at it.

It is the pedestal. I don't have a PMS yet but I have stayed at the site before and never had a problem.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
mblee, I understand about power management on a 30 amp outlet, and have many posts on the subject. I am kind of confused on the latter part of your post though. If you switched to propane, but the dealer had your cylinders closed/off after the PDI, then you shouldn't have been able to fire up your water heater on propane at all.

I am assuming maybe the water was already hot from the electric heating element (which you turned off), and the propane side of your water heater NEVER fired up....and only did for the very first time after you opened the cylinder after your wife depleted the hot water that was previously heated by the electric element.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
It is the pedestal. I don't have a PMS yet but I have stayed at the site before and never had a problem.
This can be a common occurrence at pedestals/site with either a weak breaker and/or low voltage due to many Rv'ers using air-conditioning at the same time...creating a big demand on the parks power system.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #19

Quote:

Since it is the Pedestal breaker, have your RV Park Electrician check out the pedestal. As stated before, for the last 11 months, we have run the AC and WH along with the inside refrigerator and the outside Refrigerator, oh and of course the converter and have not tripped a breaker on our 30 amp service. The only times we tripped a breaker was when we added another appliance to that mix, usually the DW's hair dryer... [emoji54]
[emoji106]

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 05-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This can be a common occurrence at pedestals/site with either a weak breaker and/or low voltage due to many Rv'ers using air-conditioning at the same time...creating a big demand on the parks power system.

I thought about that as well. I just have no way to tell. I am not letting it ruin my weekend though.

Tags
camper