Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #1

first week on new camper 262bhxl and problems

so i took delivery of my new salem cruise lite 262bhxl on tuesday this week . the walk through went well and i understood a lot of it being a camper for years .
so my plan was to bring it home load it up and go out wed morning , well i got it home at noon and started loading it up and got everything in by 3 not where it goes just in the trailer so i thought well i think i will go out now and organize at the campground .
then i started finding problems .
1 . siding was loose and came out of its upper groove for about 5 feet . not to bad of fix .
2 . metal in the way so the deadbolt work properly on the side door to the bath another easy fix
3. bath door plunger needed set deeper to keep from rubbing .
4 . the factory plugged the componet video leads into the input of the dvd player and not the output
5. found loose nuts on the side frame braces .
6 . and this was the worst !! tuesday when i got there i turned the AC on and after about three hours i thought man it just does not seam to be cooling well ? it was very hot so i let it go and by evening it was cooling ok because the sun stopped baking the trailer .
next morning i left and when i came back it was nice and cool but as the day got hotter i could hear the compressor kicking on and off about every 30 sec ? and could not get it below 80 in the trailer . i started to diagnose the problem and found the compressor was over heating , i could move the heat protector switch off the compressor and it would stay running but got supper hot and blew the breaker so the next morning i called the service guy and told him what was going on , he said ya it sounds like the compressor is burning up and he could look at it next week ! sorry but it is hot now and this trailer is two days old . he said if you wanted to you can pull the unit off and bring it in for a new one , so i did it was very easy .
took it in and he gave me a brand new unit got back to my campsite and installed the new ac and boom !!! back up and running . about three hours from taking the old one down and getting the new one back up .
now can i relax after two days of fixing stuff
the trailer is very nice and i like it a lot just some things got overlooked and im hoping for a relaxing weekend ? fingers crossed .

Dave
Switta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #2

Wow. Did they compensate you in anyway for removing the a/c and taking it to them. Mine had some issues when I brought it home too. It was a hassle to get a local dealer to work on it since I didn't buy it local but once I finally got it in and they corrected the kinks it has been smooth sailing. Hopefully you will have the same luck.

2015.5 salem 30QBSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

I had problems with one and two of your list also with the same unit.. Like you said they weren't too much of a fix. I also had to add sealant to the access panel for the under bed storage. There was none there. Still it was an easy fix. Not worth dragging it back to the dealer. I hope these problems didn't ruin your experience. It sounds like you went through a lot of trouble
Old 07-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #4

no i didn't really ask them for compensation i was just happy they let me take it down and go get a new unit without them doing the work and having to wait a week for an appointment .
been out at least 12 or so nights in it now and all is good !
started investigating all the hidden areas like under the bunks and kitchen area and i could not believe how much saw dust and debris were in there ! really they couldn't vacuum that out first .
got my fingers crossed that the schwintek slide system will be ok ? been doing a lot of research on it so if i do have problems i know what to look for , or should i say when i have problems
overall for the $$ im happy with the camper just little things to adjust and it's all good .

Dave
Switta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #5

I laughed at #4 because I had the same problem on the same model. Took about 30 minutes before I decided to take it apart and look. That's been the only problem with our '15 262BHXL though
Kbryant099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #6

Hmmm, we have a 232IS, but had the same issue with "No. 4" as well. Went through the wiring, and also added another separate dvd player using a HDMI cable for HD. And the option of running the TV through the 'A, B, or C' speakers instead of using just the TV's
speaker. Been through everything but taking it out to actually "camp" for the first time
this week-end. Hope everything goes ok. QC obviously a little shaky!

Tags
camper