Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #1

First weekend out

Well unwinterized our new TT last Thursday for a weekend of camping at a rustic campground close to home for our first trip of the year. Things went pretty well with filling water tank, lines, and hot water heater no leaks strait from the factory. We have tried all other systems except water. Then we lit the hot water heater and waited about 10 min. and yep warm water from the faucet. closed it all up and was letting water get hot. About an hour had gone by when the wife went to put some things in camper she came back in and told me she smelled something burning , out i rush and sure enough i could smell it to it was coming from hot water heater. When I opened the door up there was a bic lighter size flame coming from regulator where the pilot light connects. It had already melted the temp control off the front of the regulator and the door is discolored. Well shut gas off to the heater and flame died. Hoping this will be covered under warranty, will be calling dealer Monday in the AM. Went camping anyway and had a great time anyway and everything else worked as advertised. what a great weekend even with the small setback.

Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of your problem. I didn't have hot water my first time out this year either, but my problem wasn't as bad as yours. Turned out to be a bad circuit board. I would think your warranty would cover everything. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your trip regardless.
Good luck.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Did you get everything worked out for repairs? Sounds like you were able to make the best of a less than perfect event.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #4

Called dealer today parts are finally in they are going to try to get to it tomorrow but said they are swamped. Picking it up tomorrow no matter what to do some camping this weekend!

Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Hopefully they have it all ready for you but sounds like you will be making the most of it either way. (Like your attitute for handling this matter!)

Wish it was time for me to go camping again.... Memorial Day can't get here fast enough:-)

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote