Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #1

Forest River Salem 27REI fireplace

Just bought a 2019 27REI. Guy used it twice and figured out he didn’t like camping. Got a steal of a deal. Looking at the fireplace underneath the slide I see a gas line. Wondering if it’s a gas fireplace? Haven’t tried it yet. Love the remote for slides, stabilizers, lights and awnings. Can stand outside and set everything up.
parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #2

You are probably just seeing the gas line to that supplies the outside connection for the grill. These fireplaces are just pretty electrical space heaters in all the units I have seen. They are nice for saving propane while hooked to electricity, but don't consume any propane.
Bdcothran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #3

This is a pic of the gas line that runs up into the slide behind the fireplace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B6D9E092-567A-45F4-80D2-5D6CEBA8B039.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	213652  
Old 08-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #4

I agree with Bdcothran.
I'm guessing that is to add a quick connect for a grill since FR lists the fireplace as electric.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
I agree with Bdcothran.
I'm guessing that is to add a quick connect for a grill since FR lists the fireplace as electric.
It is a quick disconnect but it has a connected fitting to a hose that runs into the slide behind the fireplace and a quick disconnect should be located on the awning side of camper for a grill. I guess I’m going to have to trace out where it goes.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #6

Isn't the stovetop/oven and refer in that same slide. Do you see separate gas lines for those? I agree that the quick connect for the grill would make more sense on the other side of the trailer. If you are like me it will be on your mind until you trace it down. Good luck in your search. Let us know what you find.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

27REI fireplace

The floor plan for your rig indicates the fridge and stove are both in this slide. Both of those appliances require propane, I am pretty sure you will find this gas line go to those appliances. I have never seen a propane / open flame fireplace in an RV. The ones I have seen were all electric...... but I haven’t been in every RV on the road either
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicoll View Post
The floor plan for your rig indicates the fridge and stove are both in this slide. Both of those appliances require propane, I am pretty sure you will find this gas line go to those appliances. I have never seen a propane / open flame fireplace in an RV. The ones I have seen were all electric...... but I haven’t been in every RV on the road either
Yes
You are right
I traced it to the stove. We have the residential fridge. It threw me off because it went in the slide right behind the fireplace
Old 08-28-2019, 10:54 PM   #9

And they sure wouldn't want to spend an extra $2 to plumb the quick connect to the side of the trailer where you might actually use it
Old 08-29-2019, 12:26 AM   #10

REI has opposing slides, electric fireplace and propane /electric stove and water heater in right slide. That’s also where the external propane bbq quick connect is. Love that floor plan and for a while we thought it would be our next purchase.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fireplace, forest river, salem