Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #1

Fresh water operation and drain location

I have been using my 2014 241 QBXL Cruise-Lite for over 18 months and have never used water from the freshwater tank. When opening up the last time at the campsite my wife mistakingly opened the kitchen faucet before I had the "city water" line hooked up. She said there was water coming out of the faucet anyway. I think this was happening because the pump in the freshwater system was operating and pumping the water from the freshwater tank. I was surprised because I had never put water in the freshwater tank.

It dawned on me one of two things were happening, 1) the previous owner used the freshwater tank and never drained it or 2) water was getting into the freshwater tank when using the city water system, making me think the one-way valve (if there is one) was letting water into the tank.

I'm thinking if there is water in the freshwater tank I should drain the tank because 1) it may have been in there for quite a long time and not good to use and/or 2) without knowing it I'm hauling a lot of extra weight.

I'm not sure where and how to drain this tank and I'm also wondering how to check to see if water from the city water system is getting into the freshwater tank, which would indicate a bad one-way valve (if there is one).

Can anyone give me some advice on this?? Thanks!
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #2

Since no one has answered, I'll try. Not familiar with your setup, but a couple things. You should have an on/off switch for the pump. This should be turned off in your case, if not turn it off. Check underneath your camper for a white(not red or blue) hose with a valve, if you find one this most likely is the fresh water drain. The water your wife saw may have been just the water in the lines from the last time, there may have been a slight bit of pressure(or pressure build up if water heater was on) to flow some water out but only for a couple seconds at most.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Since no one has answered, I'll try. Not familiar with your setup, but a couple things. You should have an on/off switch for the pump. This should be turned off in your case, if not turn it off. Check underneath your camper for a white(not red or blue) hose with a valve, if you find one this most likely is the fresh water drain. The water your wife saw may have been just the water in the lines from the last time, there may have been a slight bit of pressure(or pressure build up if water heater was on) to flow some water out but only for a couple seconds at most.
I checked with my wife and she said it was a very weak stream coming from the faucet. So perhaps you're right it was just pressure in the line from previous use. Thanks for your replay.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #4

Just FYI on the FW drain, mine is inside the trailer frame. I really can't see mine unless I'm laying on my back.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

To answer a couple of your questions... Yes there is a one way check valve built into the pump that keeps the city water from filling the fresh tank.

These check valves have a long history of getting debris in them or being over come by high pressure (not using a regulator when connected to city water) and filling the fresh tank.

I'm not saying yours is bad... just letting you know there is a check valve and sometimes they leak back through.

Also... yes... if you have never used the fresh tank, drain it (if there is anything in it) and sanitize it with clean, filtered*, fresh water and bleach. The recommended amount is 1/4 cup to 15-20 gallons. While you are at it, pump the bleach water in the plumbing and sanitize it too. Let it sit several hours or overnight and drain and flush with clean, filtered*, fresh water and you'll be good to go all season. (or once a year)

* When I mention filtered... many of us use a whole home type filter at the water hydrant that use replaceable cartridges. Many folks use the blue Camco type that fastens to a garden hose and are readily available at Wally World.

There is no reason to put water into a tank that isn't as clean as you can possibly make it. Kind of defeats the flush/sanitize process.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
To answer a couple of your questions... Yes there is a one way check valve built into the pump that keeps the city water from filling the fresh tank.

These check valves have a long history of getting debris in them or being over come by high pressure (not using a regulator when connected to city water) and filling the fresh tank.

I'm not saying yours is bad... just letting you know there is a check valve and sometimes they leak back through.

Also... yes... if you have never used the fresh tank, drain it (if there is anything in it) and sanitize it with clean, filtered*, fresh water and bleach. The recommended amount is 1/4 cup to 15-20 gallons. While you are at it, pump the bleach water in the plumbing and sanitize it too. Let it sit several hours or overnight and drain and flush with clean, filtered*, fresh water and you'll be good to go all season. (or once a year)

* When I mention filtered... many of us use a whole home type filter at the water hydrant that use replaceable cartridges. Many folks use the blue Camco type that fastens to a garden hose and are readily available at Wally World.

There is no reason to put water into a tank that isn't as clean as you can possibly make it. Kind of defeats the flush/sanitize process.
Great response. Thank you. Where is the drain located? Is it just a plain PVC pipe with a screw-on cap or does it have a color? If nothing comes out I would assume it is not collecting water. Or is that a bad assumption. I don't plan to use fresh water and camp only where there is "city water."

Thanks.

Tags
cat, drain, fresh water, location, water