Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

Fresh water tank

I have a brand new 286rlt hemisphere fifth wheel that i am not happy with. I have run out of water in 2 days every time i have gone camping thus far. So today, i filled my tank until it came out of over flow, then drained it into calibrated containers and ended up with 25 gallons. That is far less than the 44 gal advertised capacity. What's wrong or what am I missing besides water?
Jimmy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #2

I wonder if they hooked up your black and fresh tanks backwards....

How much water can you get in your black tank.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

I hope thats not the case. If that is the reason then i would request an entirely new camper.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

Factoring in the hot water tank i am still over 10 gallons short of the advertised 44 gal
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #5

The specs for your unit says your black tank is 30 gallons.

Gotta wonder.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #6

Can you see your fresh water tank? Sometimes the pickup tube for the pump is located high on the tank and won't allow you to drain the tank completely and short change your available water.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy63 View Post
I have a brand new 286rlt hemisphere fifth wheel that i am not happy with. I have run out of water in 2 days every time i have gone camping thus far. So today, i filled my tank until it came out of over flow, then drained it into calibrated containers and ended up with 25 gallons. That is far less than the 44 gal advertised capacity. What's wrong or what am I missing besides water?
Believe your problem is the "vent/overflow" piping. Its too low and does not rise high enough outside the tank. Very common problem with FR. Try to search for this title (in the forum)cause lots of people have had or still have the problem. You can try to slowly fill the second half of the tank, it may prevent the vent covering and allowing the water enter to flow out prematurely.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #8

I appreciate the suggestions. Whatever the reason I think my first step is to contact my dealer. I cannot go on week long trips and have to start adding water 2 days in every time. Unacceptable!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #9

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this with the Salem or other FR rv's???
Old 09-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #10

not with the one i have now. on a previous camper i had problems with the vent line getting water in it and keeping the tank from accepting much water. i would blow back thru the vent and it would work.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

My Rockwood (2012) 8319SS came from the factory with the fresh water fill and black water flush connections mislabeled. I just switched the hoses to match the labels. I might suggest filling the fresh water tank and drain it through the faucets and measuring.
Rodney-the-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney-the-Rock
My Rockwood (2012) 8319SS came from the factory with the fresh water fill and black water flush connections mislabeled. I just switched the hoses to match the labels. I might suggest filling the fresh water tank and drain it through the faucets and measuring.
Problem is if you overfill fresh tank, its on the ground. If you overfill black tank, its on the flloor around your toilet, no question!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

Pretty convinced that there is some sort of problem as I cannot imagine a 30' rv that costs as much as they do, coming with a fresh water tank that runs out after 2 days of minimal usage. I think I will test the dealers "service after the sale", and see what the can come up with.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #14

Update: Spoke with dealership this morning and they informed me that i probably do in fact have a 25 gal FW tank. When i asked why i was told it was 44 they said, unfortunately the RV is not always reflective of what the brochure states. Said they have had other customers who bought FR products have the same issues. I wonder how big (or small) my other tanks really are? VERY disappointed in manufacturer and dealer. That to me is misrepresentation. Thats like buying a truck advertised as a 4 wheel drive only to find out it isn't after you buy it......
Old 09-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Update: Spoke with dealership this morning and they informed me that i probably do in fact have a 25 gal FW tank. When i asked why i was told it was 44 they said, unfortunately the RV is not always reflective of what the brochure states. Said they have had other customers who bought FR products have the same issues. I wonder how big (or small) my other tanks really are? VERY disappointed in manufacturer and dealer. That to me is misrepresentation. Thats like buying a truck advertised as a 4 wheel drive only to find out it isn't after you buy it......
Did you not get a bill of sale with all the options and capacities?

Brochures at dealers I've found them to be of the next model year.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #16

Everything i have states 44 gal
Old 09-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure full was actually full? The one time I filled my FW it seem way too soon that water came out the overflow. So I gave it a minute to settle, started the water up again (a little slower by only opening the valve 1/2 way, then up to full once it was running good) and probably put a good 2-3 times more water in the tank. Spent 2 days camping with 2 toilet training toddlers, who don't know how to conserve water yet, throw in a bath for the two of them, and still had 1/2 tank left when we went home. I'm sure if I had stopped when I first got water out of the overflow, I would have been out of water by lunch time on Saturday.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Everything i have states 44 gal
We'll I'd be asking them to get you a 44 gallon then.

If it's stated in the brochure you prolly sol but if it's in the bill of sale I'd be on the phone.

Turbs
Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #19

UPDATE: after several conversations with my dealer, they informed me that FR told them i did in fact have a 24 gal tank and providing me with a larger one was NOT an option. They (FR) are providing me with an external 30 gal tank that I can use to replenish my fresh tank. Potential buyers beware: Forest River has the right to sell you something other than what is printed on paper. This is the last FR product i purchase. Back to Jayco for me
Old 10-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
UPDATE: after several conversations with my dealer, they informed me that FR told them i did in fact have a 24 gal tank and providing me with a larger one was NOT an option. They (FR) are providing me with an external 30 gal tank that I can use to replenish my fresh tank. Potential buyers beware: Forest River has the right to sell you something other than what is printed on paper. This is the last FR product i purchase. Back to Jayco for me
Fyi .... not that it makes it right...

All illustrations and specifications contained in this literature are based on the latest product information at time of publication. Forest River, Inc. reserves the right to make changes in prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications at anytime without notice and assumes no responsibility for any error in this literature. All weights shown are approximate. All units are shipped F.O.B. point of manufacture. CONSULT YOUR LOCA L DEALER FOR WA RRANTY INFORMATI ON. Litho U.S.A. 2012.08.31 FOR 1039

Sorry it happens.

Turbs